TorkLift or standard bed install?

Well, I now have the Hawk on the new truck and went with the Torklifts. Not as pretty with the internal bed mount but I like how sturdy and easy the mounting process is with this truck. Plus, I don't have to worry about the bed being bent overtime.

That sure looks handy and fast. But I would have 2 concerns. 1) catching them on road or trailside debris. 2) vandalism. As in someone other than your self intentionally opening or stealing your Tie downs. It would NOT be pretty to be on a road trip. Stop off at some place for dinner. Then come out and find out you were stuck because your camper was no longer tied down the Fastguns were missing.

It is simple enough to put locks on the Torklift Fast Guns to at least stop thieves who depend on easy pickings.

I have Torklift Fast Guns now and like the convenience, but found if I set up my Fast Guns according to the directions that come with them, spring tension is dramatically different between them. Not a real issue as it is not hard to tension them even without the little rubber washer and I found many folks just go by feel. On the other hand, before I have the Fast Guns, I used basic turn-buckles and chains that could be purchased at any Lowes or Home Depot at a fraction of the cost and had no trouble with them either. I like the convenience of the Fast Guns, but it comes with a cost.

Torklift is a marketing juggernaut and sometimes I think the benefit of their products might be a hair overstated.

photohc said:
So my original question, is it okay to use eyebolts on the jack plates at each corner of the camper?
Harv, your set up looks good. I'll just mention a long reach shackle/clevis as possible alternative to eyebolts, if you ever find reason to change them out - not sure if the dimensions would work tho.
For eg:

usr-1-4-stainless-long-reach-d-shackle-790-lbs-wll-k-12-08-5.jpg

https://www.westechrigging.com/rigging-hardware-shackles-stainless-steel-long-reach-shackles.html

klahanie said:
Harv, your set up looks good. I'll just mention a long reach shackle/clevis as possible alternative to eyebolts, if you ever find reason to change them out - not sure if the dimensions would work tho.
For eg:

usr-1-4-stainless-long-reach-d-shackle-790-lbs-wll-k-12-08-5.jpg

https://www.westechrigging.com/rigging-hardware-shackles-stainless-steel-long-reach-shackles.html
Thanks David. The eyebolts were recommended by FWC but I can see using shackles might be a better solution. At least it would eliminate a torquing that might bend the jack stand attachment point.

ardvark said:
It is simple enough to put locks on the Torklift Fast Guns to at least stop thieves who depend on easy pickings.

I have Torklift Fast Guns now and like the convenience, but found if I set up my Fast Guns according to the directions that come with them, spring tension is dramatically different between them. Not a real issue as it is not hard to tension them even without the little rubber washer and I found many folks just go by feel. On the other hand, before I have the Fast Guns, I used basic turn-buckles and chains that could be purchased at any Lowes or Home Depot at a fraction of the cost and had no trouble with them either. I like the convenience of the Fast Guns, but it comes with a cost.

Torklift is a marketing juggernaut and sometimes I think the benefit of their products might be a hair overstated.
Yes, the cost is a consideration but I closed my eyes and clicked...

I just went to Walmart and bought a matching set of four Brinks locks that fit through the eyelets. Anyone who want to spend the time cutting through them will cut through any lock I suspect with a battery powered angle grinder. I figure the majority of thieve are snatch and run. :(

Back
Top Bottom