TorkLift Tie Downs

Fitwon

Advanced Member
My TorkLifts (front and Back) arrived today ($369. delivered) and the goal is to have these heavy direct to frame Tie down Brackets mounted onto my 2009 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4 this weekend.

Good news: after reviewing the options report on my truck, I discovered I do have a factory installed HD Transmission Cooler. On my trip home to Oregon through the Rocky Mts between Durango, Colorado and Montrose, Colorado my transmission readout did reach a high of 178 degrees (with my 2007 Outfitter Caribou 8 on board).

Is this a reasonable temperature for transmission fluid when traveling uphill beyond the 12,000 foot level?

Attachments

• Outfitter Caribou 8 in Colorado Mountains 020.JPG
    Outfitter Caribou 8 in Colorado Mountains 020.JPG
    477 KB · Views: 131
Is this a reasonable temperature for transmission fluid when traveling uphill beyond the 12,000 foot level?

You're good to go. That's fine ATF cooling performance. I wouldn't get concerned unless you start running temps over 220° for extended periods of time. Do change the ATF at recommended service intervals, if not sooner. Preventative maintenance keeps things fresh and living longer. Folks forget to service the transmission regularly and then wonder why they have transmission problems. The chart below is a good guidline on transmission temps and the effects it has on ATF and transmission components.

FluidChart.jpg

You're good to go. That's fine ATF cooling performance. I wouldn't get concerned unless you start running temps over 220° for extended periods of time. Do change the ATF at recommended service intervals, if not sooner. Preventative maintenance keeps things fresh and living longer. Folks forget to service the transmission regularly and then wonder why they have transmission problems. The chart below is a good guidline on transmission temps and the effects it has on ATF and transmission components.

FluidChart.jpg

Thank you Professor!!! This is like going to Automotive University. I will follow your advice and begin immediately by reading the maintenance schedules for my transmission fluid. You are an excellent teacher.:D

Back
Top Bottom