Towing a Tinnie

CPT Davenport

El Pescador
Anyone in here tow an aluminum boat with a Hawk on a 1/2 ton? If so, how is it and I would love to see some photos of the rig.

I don’t have pictures of the tinnie behind truck and camper, but have towed it (and a 22’ CDory) with ease. The truck is a full size that at times has had a hard side camper or a Grandby on it. Biggest issue has been entering and exiting the camper. Both The Bride and I have slipped and fallen while using the trailer tongue as a step. Extra care advised.

Edit: a backup camera helps when backing down the ramp.

My F150 w/Hawk 16 foot River Hawk f150.jpg

My Hawk now is mounted on a F250 Super Duty, the F150 did a good job hauling both camper and boat. I wanted a vehicle with bigger brakes for towing in the mountains.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
I don’t have pictures of the tinnie behind truck and camper, but have towed it (and a 22’ CDory) with ease. The truck is a full size that at times has had a hard side camper or a Grandby on it. Biggest issue has been entering and exiting the camper. Both The Bride and I have slipped and fallen while using the trailer tongue as a step. Extra care advised.

Edit: a backup camera helps when backing down the ramp.
That is encouraging as a CDory is over twice the weight of the Klamath. Was this with a Ford 150?

fish more said:
My F150 w/Hawk 16 foot River Hawk
attachicon.gif
f150.jpg
Fish more, I see your location is Sierra Foothills. Any favorite trout lake campsites you'd care to share? I plan on scouring that zone. My buddy has a cabin on Shaver Lake that we have been enjoying since we were around 15 years old. I'd like to branch out.

CPT Davenport said:
That is encouraging as a CDory is over twice the weight of the Klamath. Was this with a Ford 150?
No, the first was a F250 7.3 diesel, the second a F350 6.7 diesel. If you have either of the 3.5 EcoBoost or the 5.0 F150, IMO, you’ll be fine. Fishmore could probably give you details on the F150. They have impressive numbers.

My F150 had a 5.4 gas motor. it towed the camper and boat with ease. I just wanted a truck with larger brakes for towing in the mountains, so now I'm driving F250 w/6.2 gas. Send a PM if you have questions regarding fishing.

I towed a 14-1/2 Gregor for 10 years with my '98 Dodge Dakota and FWC Ranger II shell. I made 8 or 9 trips to Baja and lots of dirt roads which weren't all that easy on the boat. Cartopping it would have been better, although I doubt the Dakota could have handled all of that weight. Tranny (auto) only lasted 100K. Sold truck and camper and boat, bought 3/4 ton truck, Grandy, inflatable boat and Ruger trailer to haul boat (and much more). Made many more trips to Baja before Covid. I don't know when I'll go back.

Cool little runabout. No good for fish'n and heaven's no, not for the ocean. Cool none the less.

What Hp outboard was the standard on those things?

camper rich said:
I towed a 14-1/2 Gregor for 10 years with my '98 Dodge Dakota and FWC Ranger II shell. I made 8 or 9 trips to Baja and lots of dirt roads which weren't all that easy on the boat. Cartopping it would have been better, although I doubt the Dakota could have handled all of that weight. Tranny (auto) only lasted 100K. Sold truck and camper and boat, bought 3/4 ton truck, Grandy, inflatable boat and Ruger trailer to haul boat (and much more). Made many more trips to Baja before Covid. I don't know when I'll go back.
Nice! Good times. I have been stirring up trouble in Baja since the early 80s. That is where I saw my very first FWC! (it has only taken me 38 years to finally get one :)

Cpt Davenport said:
Cool little runabout. No good for fish'n and heaven's no, not for the ocean. Cool none the less.

What Hp outboard was the standard on those things?
Looks like 30-50HP is the range.

Cpt Davenport said:
Nice! Good times. I have been stirring up trouble in Baja since the early 80s. That is where I saw my very first FWC! (it has only taken me 38 years to finally get one :)
Yeh, I first heard about FWC while I was in Baja in '96 in my VW Camper. I met a guy with an old Alaskan Camper who told me about the lighter weight and more rugged (and cheaper) FWC's and since I was tired of beating up my 2WD Vanagon on Baja roads, I decided to get a FWD with the shell FWC.

I have an 06 Tundra/Hawk and I trailer a 17 Lowe aluminum boat w/50 hp motor without a problem. Only notice it on long grades.

Back
Top Bottom