Toyota Tundra-Older hawk

TemeculaTim

Advanced Member
Hey guys need some real; quick advice. I have a chance to pick up a clean older hawk at a bargain price. I have a 2003 Tundra acess cab and from what I have seen on 4WC site. It will be 2" short at the tailgate opening- 58" - if the camper is 60". I have not had a chance to find out what year it is and was wondering if it possible to shorten only the last part to accept the camper if it is not 58"?

My thought was to lower the camper into the bed from above and only and notch the last part at the tailgate opening 1" on each side to allow for a fit. Can this be done? I also pretty skilled in metal fab work and restore old trucks as a hobby.

I know this sounds like a lot of work- but I think it can be done and I can not afford a new model at this time. The price on this one is also really attractive for me.

Any help would be appreciated.

Tim

Hey guys need some real; quick advice. I have a chance to pick up a clean older hawk at a bargain price. I have a 2003 Tundra acess cab and from what I have seen on 4WC site. It will be 2" short at the tailgate opening- 58" - if the camper is 60". I have not had a chance to find out what year it is and was wondering if it possible to shorten only the last part to accept the camper if it is not 58"?

My thought was to lower the camper into the bed from above and only and notch the last part at the tailgate opening 1" on each side to allow for a fit. Can this be done? I also pretty skilled in metal fab work and restore old trucks as a hobby.

I know this sounds like a lot of work- but I think it can be done and I can not afford a new model at this time. The price on this one is also really attractive for me.

Any help would be appreciated.

Tim

Are you talking about cutting the camper or the truck? There is a tread somewhere on the site on cutting down an older camper. If you are looking at cutting the truck I would look for a wrecked bed in a salvage yard. You could then measure and cut out a custom fit maybe add some storage on the sides.

I have a 2005 Tundra with a 2002 Hawk great combination after airbags and sway bar.

Bill in Stockton

Are you talking about cutting the camper or the truck? There is a tread somewhere on the site on cutting down an older camper. If you are looking at cutting the truck I would look for a wrecked bed in a salvage yard. You could then measure and cut out a custom fit maybe add some storage on the sides.

I have a 2005 Tundra with a 2002 Hawk great combination after airbags and sway bar.

Bill in Stockton

Thanks for the reply Bill- I was thinking about adjusting the Camper to fit the bed but the salvage bed bed idea sounds interesting as well. I think if it is a 90 or newer model I am ok- I am waitying for the seller to let me know when it was made and provide some dimensions.

Thanks for the reply Bill- I was thinking about adjusting the Camper to fit the bed but the salvage bed bed idea sounds interesting as well. I think if it is a 90 or newer model I am ok- I am waitying for the seller to let me know when it was made and provide some dimensions.

I found a used Hawk on a 97 Dodge. It was an estate and the family thought it was a 97 Hawk. If you check the Four Wheel Camper site they have a fit chart. The 97 would not fit my Tundra, but I measured across the back and it was the right size. Call 4WC to be sure and was told with that measurement it was not a 97. Purchased and checked the model number on the camper and found it was made in Sept 02.

Good Luck in your search.

Bill

I found a used Hawk on a 97 Dodge. It was an estate and the family thought it was a 97 Hawk. If you check the Four Wheel Camper site they have a fit chart. The 97 would not fit my Tundra, but I measured across the back and it was the right size. Call 4WC to be sure and was told with that measurement it was not a 97. Purchased and checked the model number on the camper and found it was made in Sept 02.

Good Luck in your search.

Bill

Thats a good stroke of luck. I am hoping I can fare as well. I have been looking a long time and have seen lot's of nice ones that are either out of my present price range or just too far away to see. Im patient so we'll see how it shakes out. Thanks again for the advice.

Tim

Does it have a furnace? If so that is in the area you are cutting into on the driver side, don't know if you'll actually cut into it or not but something to think about. Do you want/need pictures of the corners of a camper? Mine in on stands right now and I can snap some easily.

Pods makes a good point. If there's no furnace, you could easily narrow the camper to fit. Couple hours work tops, then plumb in a wave 3 heater in place of the furnace later on down the road.

Pods makes a good point. If there's no furnace, you could easily narrow the camper to fit. Couple hours work tops, then plumb in a wave 3 heater in place of the furnace later on down the road.

Got a couple of pictures from the seller. They are not the greatest, but the rear is narrow and it looks like it will fit my Tundra. Will know more in a few days.

Got a couple of pictures from the seller. They are not the greatest, but the rear is narrow and it looks like it will fit my Tundra. Will know more in a few days.

The cutoff year is 2001 1/2 for the Hawks that fit Tundras...anything older and it will be too wide. If you can get the serial number FWC can tell you if it will fit or not.

Back
Top Bottom