Toys

Beach

Besides the usual camping gear(chairs, saw, etc.), what toys do you take with you? I carry fishing gear, bike(s), metal detector and my trusty frisbie.

We try to carry the least as possible.Over the years we have had to teach ourselves that there are stores out there and that you don't have to carry everything from home.Food wise with the menu's we eat,Sharon pretty much has a good plan for food,so we make sure we have the items that can't be gotten from stores in areas we aren't used to, at least and don't worry about the things we can get from a store.
I carry my back pack with all my fishing gear,waders,wading sandals,vest with flies,reel,extra spool,things like that.
My 6' 4 weight bamboo,plus the 4 piece Winston 9' 4/5 weight.
In two tubes,one on each side of the camper,under the overhang,I carry wadding sticks,drain hose 5' ultra light spinning rod.In the other we carry our walking sticks.
We do have the luxury of the rear seat area of the access cab that is stripped and carry our clothes there plus a Truckfridge compressor cooler.
Some tools,hand saw axe duct tape ,tire inflator in the can and snow chains,don't want to be crossing the Cal. passes without them.A small 12v air pump.
The usual clothes,jackets,extra shoes.
The biggest item I carry was the 12' canoe on the roof but we purchased a inflatable kayak that fits nicely in the right rear corner,under the small storage cabinet.Now we don't have to mess with the canoe on the top.
Also a Coleman propane stove and lantern. Everything has it's place so when we get to camp,it's just pop the top and start enjoying nature.
Boy now that I have written this out sounds like a bunch of stuff but it all has it's place and if you were to look inside our camper it would look empty.
We try to stay as organized as possible.That's what comes form having a wife who was a kindergarten teacher for 30 years.
Frank

we carry a bocci ball set. we had seen it played in a campground we were at. we were hooked.we haven't played with the true rules yet, but still have fun.we've even seen it played on the beach. of coarse, we always seem to take too much stuff. i'd rather have it and not need it than other way around.we took bicycles last trip. i practically had to take a vac from the bike ride. i may be too old and fat for that again.

wes

We take art supplies (drawing and watercolor) in a sturdy toolbox the wife stands on to bring the Hawk's counters down to elbow level. We also take a hollow plastic Spiderman ball about the size of a soft ball to play fetch with the ocean. Really thinking about a tandem kayak for next Summer.

Alan

alano said:
We take art supplies (drawing and watercolor) in a sturdy toolbox the wife stands on to bring the Hawk's counters down to elbow level. We also take a hollow plastic Spiderman ball about the size of a soft ball to play fetch with the ocean. Really thinking about a tandem kayak for next Summer.

Alan
Alan,if you are thinking about that kayak,I would suggest searching through airkayaks.com.They are located in Clear Lake and wonderful people.
I have one of the Advanced Elements 15' tandem kayak.It folds down to a size 30"x21"x9" and fits nicely on the right inside rear of the camper.This kayak isn't some "blow up" toy it looks just like a hard shell tandem kayak.
It might be what you are looking for.
We have used a couple times this summer and like it.Our first experience with a kayak.We have been canoe people but even the 12' #60 canoe was getting awkward to put on the roof.
They even have videos of their products.
Frank

Depends on what and where I'm going or doing. Always have my camera gear, usually a firearm or two, sometimes I drag the boat along, or the quad. I'm having a custom made flatbed trailer made so I can take a couple quads (need a second one for the GF) and haul my 90gal transfer tank along too. I need to dust off the fly rod and small spinning rods for next year and keep those handy when I don't have the boat.

Like some other we take two sport kites, camera(s), video-go-cam, metal detector, and assorted board games. Plus all my wife's gold prospecting gear :)

We also take a galaxy 10" tablet to watch a movie or two over the course of a typical 5 day adventure. And the most "toyish" thing we take along are our two 1/24 scale radio control rock crawlers. They are a blast and fun past time. No noise, recharge from solar, and ready to go for another ~30 minutes play time with a quick swap of battery pack. We both spent time customizing our respective rig and take them for "walks" nearly every day.

RCcrawlers.jpg

What a fun-loving creative bunch. I bring a small wood art easel/storage kit with paper/pens/pencils/watercolors for when I get a creative urge. We both bring our camera gear including tripods, wide lens selection, Mac, etc. We also pack along rockhounding stuff like picks, goggles and sturdy canvas bags for our booty. We like agates and obsidian.

Our dog, Toller, is our best amusement who comes with leashes, collars, jackets, his own backpack and his travel pack of doggie bags, food, treats, water, bowls, blankets, towels, favorite toys, etc. Kinda like packing for a kid.

Of course, there are iPhone/GPS/maps/books, etc so we don't get too lost. But, getting lost is okay if it leads to discoveries. We always find our way out. Or in.

iPod and wireless speaker for music. Gotta have music. Would love to camp with musicians.

You can see why we abandoned the FWC and Taco combo and went for F250 and Hallmark. We still need to pack conservatively but are more comfortable.

Happy trails.

Back
Top Bottom