Toytec Suspension Upgrades

Cort: When you do choose the front springs let us know. My truck has a lot of miles too. One more thought, don't get too tall so you won't be top heavy. I saw a extended cab tacoma at a local shop with a Six Pak on it and they were have trouble keeping it from swaying due to how tall the overall truck became. Also unless you are tall, you need to consider opening and closing the canvas flaps on the pop up sides and accessing the roof if you are carrying anything. I am not too tall and opening and closing the flaps is a real hassle. I now just leave them rolled up and open. You could carry a small ladder, but that seems to be a hassle too.

Regards,

Darryl

yeah I don't really want to raise the truck at all....that is definitely not my goal. I just need to stiffen up the front end a bit. I am going to call Wheelers and Monday and see what they recommend. I will report back when I make a final decision and let you know what I think of the setup once I have it installed and have had a chance to drive it a bit.

Cort

Hello Richard,

From just about everything I have read you should at least upgrade the tires that you have. I have done lots of hauling of various types of loads over the years and in my opinion the stock tires will NOT cut it at all. The sidewalls are to flimsy and they are not rated for the weight. I think upgrading your tires is the absolute most important thing. Do a search on here and you will find lots of info on tires and what people think. I know recently there was a thread on load range E tires vs load range C tires. Congratulations on the new Bobcat.

Cort

Hi Cort, Darryl and Others,

Thanks for all of this info. It is a bit confusing, however I am am getting a better handle on things. Anxious to hear your report from Wheelers later this week. Again, thanks to all.

Richard

Hey Richard,

Yeah it is a bit confusing isn't it.....really there are just a lot of opinions and I don't think any of them are bad per say just different. I will be on the road for the next week....working down on the Clavey and Tuolumne between Hetch Hetchy and Early Intake. I plan on calling Wheelers and National tomorrow while I am driving. It may be a few days until I get an update out.

Cheers,

Cort

no not this trip....I don't guide professionally but I do lots of boating...I work as a geomorphologist/hydrologist and the company I work for along with another consulting firm are currently doing a flow study on the Tuolumne that has to do with the re-licensing of Hetch Hetchy. Basically, trying to determine how the dam should be operated to provide water for SF and provide good flows for Trout and Recreation.

I am planning on getting out to the Upper Green River, John Day, Maybe something in Montana this summer. Have an opportunity to row a gear boat on the Middle Fork of the Salmon but I am not sure I can make it. Anyone out there is this group into multiday river trips? I have access to lots of gear....could be fun to put something together with a bunch of WTW'ers.

Cort

Hey Cort, you're right everyone does have opinions, now here is mine. I have a Taco 02 with a FULLY loaded Bobcat on it, and it lives on it. I was more worried about the rear end than the front. I put all new shocks, Rancho 9000's, front and back, and some supersprings and occasionally I would still bottom out. Just when driving a tad too fast while going out of a parking drive way, or some of the good pot holes that Santa Cruz has or the very slight off road I try. So, I went out and replaced my rear springs only. These things are custom made for the truck and quite beefy. They did lift the rear up, so even with the load, it still rides a bit high. I am considering lifting the front an inch to try to even out the truck, but that I am still not sure of. Several years back when my original tires wore out I bought some new Goodrich Revos. They are a great tire. I checked the sidewalls and discovered they are passenger rated tires. I will replace them with lt truck tires when they wear out, but not until then. I have never had any problems with them. I drive on the freeway at speeds between 55 and 65, and don't get sway or any problems.
Good luck with your preparations, this is all part of the fun in the camping world you just joined. Everyone here has great advise, but we all like and do different things then each other and set up is just part of it. I know I spent too much in this that and the other, but if you have it, have fun.
Scott

no not this trip....I don't guide professionally but I do lots of boating...I work as a geomorphologist/hydrologist and the company I work for along with another consulting firm are currently doing a flow study on the Tuolumne that has to do with the re-licensing of Hetch Hetchy. Basically, trying to determine how the dam should be operated to provide water for SF and provide good flows for Trout and Recreation.

I am planning on getting out to the Upper Green River, John Day, Maybe something in Montana this summer. Have an opportunity to row a gear boat on the Middle Fork of the Salmon but I am not sure I can make it. Anyone out there is this group into multiday river trips? I have access to lots of gear....could be fun to put something together with a bunch of WTW'ers.

Cort

Yeah, I love river trips Cort. When I can get in on them. When I am not working my real job that pays the bills, I am also a fly fishing float guide in my area. Between the two, I have more than enough gear for several days on the river. I have a 14' cataraft and 16' dory. I'm on the river as much as I can be....which is not enough! :( Any trip is a great idea. Being able to put that much time together is the crux.

Good floating!

Paul

Hello All,

Well I finally got back from the Clavey and Tuolumne and had a chance to give Wheelers a call and ask them what they thought about front end suspension upgrades. Jason at wheelers was very helpful and he basically felt like I was right in between an OME 881 and OME 882 coil. He has not had much feedback from folks running the OME 882 coil which requires the Nitrocharger OME shock. He said they have sold lots of the OME 881 coils with the Bilsteins and has had great feedback from folks. While I am not completely sold yet I am leaning toward the 881 coils and the Bilsteins all around. In addtion the OME Nitrocharger are pretty expensive; I am sure there are good shocks but the price is way up there. Jason also informed me that the Front Bilstein Shocks are on National Back Order right now and are somewhat hard to get.

I also called national spring and they told me that their coil kits start at 265 which is out of my ball park price wise. They were not willing to offer any advice.

Cort

I think the Ome shocks have a little bit of harshness compared to the Bilsteins. I had a chance to ride in each setup and the bilsteins seems to be more forgiving on the little stuff.

Ok I want to ask a question, please. I have a 2001 Tacoma Std Cab 4x4 with Bilsteins all around. The truck has maintained its stock height. Are you folks talking about a different Bilstein size? It looks like "Shock Warehouse" has the ones I purchased. They are on the internet and I have purchased from them with good luck.

Regards,

Darryl

I assume you're referring to the "yellows?"

Bilstein makes all kinds of shocks. We're referring to the Bilstein 5100 series, which is totally different from Stock/OE Toyota Bilstein applications.

Actually here's a pic:
27.jpg

I have the blue and yellow ones. I will look into the other one, but it seems to be about an inch taller. For my wife who is 5 feet and me at 5-4 the truck is already tall enough. Besides, I think raising the truck changes its personality if you understand what i am trying to say.

Darryl

Ok, I found them. It says they are basically the same features as the stock size just for lifted trucks. Is there any other advantage?

Darryl

They're completely different than the stockers. Larger body, larger piston, bigger oil capacity and improved valving(which allows them to run cooler and perform better), and can be used for stock or lifted applications.

Obvoiusly the rear shocks are a fixed length, so you have to order them according to your application. The fonts have a lower spring perch on a circlip which allows you to adjust the preload/spring height for ride height and response. IIRC they're adjustable at 0", 1.25", and 2.5" increments. Sort of like a poor man's coilover, but better and way cheaper than even the lowest priced coilovers out there.

And I agree; lifting a truck with a camper on it is generally not a very good idea.

well I got the call from Wheelers today they finally recieved my Bilstein 5100's and shipped them today. They also shipped a set of EMU 881 coils. I have the camper on the truck now and had a chance to do a shakedown trip. I did a mix of highway, windy mountain roads, dirt roads and 4-wheel drive roads. I am very happy with the way the airbags and tires performed and to be honest I did not have lots of sway. I did have a little bit of brake dive on the front end and the front end tended to swim a little on the highway going over bumps. The front also felt a little soft during some minor technical 4-wheel driving I did. I think the 5100's all around and the new front coils are going to clean this up. I will let you all know how it works out.

Cheers,

Cort

Well I got the EMU 881 and the Billstein 5100's installed. Used the second setting on the front shocks in order to level the truck out. I can't tell you how happy I am with this setup. The truck drives great both on the road and off road. I drove the truck for a few days without the camper on it and while the ride is a little stiff I prefer it over the stock setup. I loaded the camper on Friday and we headed out for a weekend trip down to my folks house in Mariposa. Last night we did some decent 4X4 driving yesterday afternoon to get to a camp spot on the Tuolumne and the rig performed Flawlessly. Thanks for all those who contributed and help me decide on this setup, it is exactly what I was looking for and it did not break the bank. The folk's at Wheeler's Offroad were also a great help and I would recommend them to anyone.

Cort

I STRONGLY disagree with the guy who says you don't need a diff drop in a lifted Tacoma under 2". Unless you know more than the engineer who designed the vehicle, he was probably pretty smart in calculating those CV angles. Even at 1", the CV's are preloaded to the point they will stretch the boots enough to purge grease. (Tundras, too. Ask me how I know.) You can buy the parts (grade 8 washers & bolts) at home depot for less than five bucks. The only reason not to drop the diff is laziness or cheap.

It has been a long time from the last time on the forum and as always great info on trips and camping.

BSS
The reason why most CV boots on a Tacoma cause problems is lifting the front to high. I have my truck 2007 set at 3" and I do have a diff drop. My saying he did not need the diff drop below 2" still stands and the engineers would rather we put zero lift on the vehicles but we do.The reason the CV boots leak is because the rubber fins come in contact with each other and wear a whole in the boot due to friction. My statement about lower than 2" is because the CV angle has not put the boots in such a manner to wear in between the fins. In the older Tacoma's they tend not to have this problem with manual locking hubs.I think having a diff drop may cause other problems if not needed by rotating the front diff and causing the drive shaft angle to change.

Back
Top Bottom