Trailering?

bajarick

Advanced Member
HI. I've got a 10' cabover on a 02 f250 diesel. I want to bring more stuff and am thinking of a small enclosed cargo trailer. 5x8 or 10. Probably 600 lbs of bulky things in it.
Beyond the hassle of a pulling a trailer I would need a hitch extender, which halves the tongue weight capability if I'm reading right. Anyone with experience towing with a hitch extender?

FWIW:
I'm going to install a class V hitch receiver (2.5") to my Bronco and use a 33" extender so I can tow my HMMWV trailer.

With said set up I can tow the HMMWV's GWM of 4,200lbs without any weight distribution device.

It's a $550 investment, but worth it to me. YMMV

bajarick said:
HI. I've got a 10' cabover on a 02 f250 diesel. I want to bring more stuff and am thinking of a small enclosed cargo trailer. 5x8 or 10. Probably 600 lbs of bulky things in it.
Beyond the hassle of a pulling a trailer I would need a hitch extender, which halves the tongue weight capability if I'm reading right. Anyone with experience towing with a hitch extender?
I tow with a SuperHitch by TorkLift that is rated at 20,000 pounds. I use their 48” extension, and have pulled around 6,000 pounds, with my camper on. I had one on my now sold 2000 F250, and currently on my 2014 F350. With the extension, I would feel safe towing up to 10,000 pounds, perhaps more depending on braking and possible weight distribution.

My guess is with trailer and load you’ll still be under 2000 pounds, with a tongue weight of 200-300 pounds. You would probably have an extension around 24” to 30” that with the stinger should give adequate clearance for the trailer.

So, after all that ramble, I would personally feel safe doing what you’re considering. It would be best to talk to the folks that make your extension and be certain. Wanna be double certain, install a SuperHitch.

Thanks all. Had a keyboard glitch and couldn't post. Dog snapped the old keyboard cable in a thunderstorm. Replaced with a Mexican keyboard and took me two days to find the ? Anyway, I don't want to spend a ton of money....rather just go slow! With the extension is handling different, sway, wind gusts? I'm just starting to kick this idea around.
rick

bajarick said:
Thanks all.

I don't want to spend a ton of money....rather just go slow! With the extension is handling different, sway, wind gusts? I'm just starting to kick this idea around.
rick
What's your definition of "a ton of money"?

Bill Gates and I definitely have our own personal definitions.

Your set up:
A .75ton truck with probably a longbed
Probably a SRW
1.25ton camper in it
Probably already has a class V hitch receiver

So at minimum; you'll have to invest in the extension.

Handling?
Depending on your rear tires and rear suspension; you probably will barely notice a properly loaded 1,500lb trailer attached to said extension.

When I get my set up installed/tested/used, I'll report back.

Thanks again. I knew I needed the extension just needed some feedback on whether it would make pulling a hassle.

Back
Top Bottom