Transition to XP

V1, the big one, on a 3500 dodge. Sorry I think I had posted it was a V2. It was trouble from start to finish.

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

Sioux and I really like a lot of Marc's innovative concepts.

But what swayed us away (this time) from XP was a) the weight, (sure you can get the capacity with a one ton but weight is weight!) :cool: b) the need to buy a different truck (diesel and 1 ton) and c) the small nature of the enterprise which can POTENTIALLY lead to quality control problems. (We came within 24 hours of buying a Phoenix camper too and then backed out for the same reason.)

So we wound up again in the (occasionally frustrating but very reliable and "drama free") FWC camp. :) (Flatbed Hawk this time.)

Florida, I (and probably many others) would be interested in your issues. Not to bash Marc (who I respect a LOT) but just to help us (and maybe him too) for future buying decisions. I "never say never"!

I agree with the weight issue. Since the camper is vacuum infused composite with molded cabinetry etc.. the weight should be less than the older tech campers most of us have. The increased water capacity and their big heavy batteries (mine are lithium) add weight, but to require a one ton for a high tech composite camper is silly. I will add that I do a lot of composites work on my own time.

I was asked to explain why I was so unhappy with my XP that I sold it at a considerable loss after only six months. However, my reply went into too much detail and violated the rules of the forums. Therefore it was deleted by a moderator. I understand, but it is a shame. If I had read a review of the product as honest as my deleted post, I would have been a smarter shopper when it came time to buy a camper. If anyone wants to know what went wrong with my XP, and how I was treated by XP when those things went wrong, the moderator told me that it has to be done privately. You are welcome to email me at bobbinan2@yahoo.com.

WTW members can also communicate through Private Message. Click on the User name in the upper left hand corner of the post, then click on "Send Me A Message".

The builder/customer experience can be difficult in any custom or limited production product. I've had difficulty with custom bicycle frame and windsurfing board builders over the years. It is part of the reason I'm reluctant to purse custom building as a business myself.

Customer complaints shouldn't be silenced and the internet is a great place to voice them. Maybe just tone it down a bit? I'm not sure what the problem is. A great example of a customer thread is the MyTaco camper thread http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/119653-My-Taco-Phoenix-Pop-Up-Camper This thread was very useful for me in seeing the kinds of issues that may occur and how poorly some campers are constructed. The irony is that XP was started due to Marc's experience with his Phoenix.

The moderator objected to the emoting in the post. Ok.
I transitioned from a 24 year old Syncro Westfalia that I had owned since new. I was looking for something more reliable. I wanted to be able to travel without the nagging worries that come with an old VW. I was willing to accept the inconveniences of a pop top since I had lived with one so long. The XP was definitely not the answer. (For details, bobbinan2@yahoo.com. ) One of the transition issues that I had went beyond the unreliability of the XP. The fact that you cannot access the camper unless raised is touted as a plus. For me it was a minus. In my Syncro I could get into the fridge, cabinets, get a warmer jacket, etc when the top was down. I really missed that convenience in the XP.

X2.

Customer complaints shouldn't be silenced and the internet is a great place to voice them. Maybe just tone it down a bit? I'm not sure what the problem is. A great example of a customer thread is the MyTaco camper thread http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/119653-My-Taco-Phoenix-Pop-Up-Camper This thread was very useful for me in seeing the kinds of issues that may occur and how poorly some campers are constructed. The irony is that XP was started due to Marc's experience with his Phoenix.

I'm an admin on a very active FB page (3300 members with passionate opinions) within my industry. We allow honest, non-profane posts on any manufacturer/distributor (including negative comments toward our own company) while also encouraging the attacked business (and its Cheerleaders) to defend itself.

Marc has benefited greatly from internet bulletin boards and more power to him. But the internet is a knife that cuts both ways...

Florida's post (which I cut and saved before it was deleted) seemed very reasonable and valuable for a prospective purchaser. I don't really have a horse in this race (I really like Marc's ideas) but do really appreciate this forum and the people who post on it.

Steve

PS And BTW, I was one of the prospective Phoenix purchasers who bailed out after reading 30 or 40 pages of the pro and con Phoenix posts on the Expo thread that enelson references. I literally was writing my deposit check out to Rob when I saw that MyTaco thread. I'm grateful for that honest discourse. (I still have my custom Phoenix flatbed camper drawn out on my garage floor and yes, it would have been a great design!) :)

Durango1 said:
X2.

I'm an admin on a very active FB page (3300 members with passionate opinions) within my industry. We allow honest, non-profane posts on any manufacturer/distributor (including negative comments toward our own company) while also encouraging the attacked business (and its Cheerleaders) to defend itself.

Marc has benefited greatly from internet bulletin boards and more power to him. But the internet is a knife that cuts both ways...

Florida's post (which I cut and saved before it was deleted) seemed very reasonable and valuable for a prospective purchaser. I don't really have a horse in this race (I really like Marc's ideas) but do really appreciate this forum and the people who post on it.

Steve

PS And BTW, I was one of the prospective Phoenix purchasers who bailed out after reading 30 or 40 pages of the pro and con Phoenix posts on the Expo thread that enelson references. I literally was writing my deposit check out to Rob when I saw that MyTaco thread. I'm grateful for that honest discourse. (I still have my custom Phoenix flatbed camper drawn out on my garage floor and yes, it would have been a great design!) :)
Do you think MyTaco's review has impacted otherPhoenix camper sales? Seems like the Phoenix didn't really care if it did or not.

I took the Taco thread to heart and took Phoenix off my list of prospective campers. I have no doubt they can build a good product as many people seem satisfied but I also see that the opposite can occur and with the outlay required there are just better options.
I am a big believer in support. I know that things break or some things can be overlooked. That does not worry me as long as the overall quality is good and the service is there to fix the occasional issue. Multiple quality control issues with one camper before it is even broken in are not on the list of things I tolerate.....
I also really hate the "we just install it we don't make it" excuse. If you are going to use a product in your construction you need to know how it works and what issues may arise after installation......

We would like to share with members our first year experience with an XPCamper. Our travels have included short trips of one to two weeks and a two and a half month trip to Alaska. We have encountered refinement issues as one might expect with a new revolutionary camper. The customer service Marc has provided at XPCamper has been excellent. Marc wholeheartedly stands behind his product.
All issues have been quickly resolved with a positive attitude and without controversy. Even with consideration of these issues, we enjoyed our first year and look forward to more XPCamper adventures. We continue to feel that it is the best camper on the market for comfort and versatility.

super doody said:
Do you think MyTaco's review has impacted other Phoenix camper sales? Seems like the Phoenix didn't really care if it did or not.
Lost my sale for sure. I was in early contact with them about a build but was fortunate that I ran across the My Taco thread before I got two far along. I understand everything can have faults but how it is handled means a lot and that thread scared me.

Once again I have strayed beyond the bounds of the forum rules, although I thought that I was being careful. I wish that I had had access to an open forum discussion before I bought my camper.

My Syncro Westfalia had propane for the stove of course. I became used to that instant heat and total control of cooking on gas. I liked it so much that I converted my home stove to propane! The XP uses a diesel powered ceramic cooktop. I never got used to how slow it responded. I like to cook (ask anyone that I camp with!) but that cooktop took a lot of the fun out of it. I kept a two burner propane stove in the pull out storage shelf outside and used that instead.

All, just a note as to why some posts in this thread have been hidden. WTW is a website about camping. The owners want to keep things friendly here. To that end, not only has some of the negative posts on this thread been hidden, so has a post that was positive about the manufacturer and disputing the negative posts. We are simply trying to keep this from becoming an argumentative thread.

While some feel this is a violation of free speech, we remind you that WTW is a privately owned and not a public resource. As moderators, we are volunteers that simply try to keep the forums true to the Site Rules, but we take it seriously. We prefer to keep any editing to a minimum and discuss possible edits before implementing them rather than just doing so arbitrarily. You are welcome to PM any of the moderators with concerns about our efforts.

From the Site Rules:
Dealer/Vendor and Customer Disputes
This forum is not intended to be a mechanism for people to vent frustrations about vendors, products or sales from private parties. Please settle your differences with the seller, manufacturer and dealer through the long-established legal or arbitration systems or the Better Business Bureau but not through our community.

In making a transition to an XP there are a few things that take getting used to. One is that the camper is inaccessible to you as well as intruders when closed. Another is the very different way the stove/hot water/ heater unit is powered and performs. I'm not saying for better or worse, but certainly is not what I was used to having used propane to cook and gas to heat. Again, these are transitional issues to deal with and are due to the novel concepts that XP tries to incorporate into the camper. I came from a Syncro Westfalia and have finally settled on an Alaskan, so I know all about transitions.

Florida said:
My Syncro Westfalia had propane for the stove of course. I became used to that instant heat and total control of cooking on gas. I liked it so much that I converted my home stove to propane! The XP uses a diesel powered ceramic cooktop. I never got used to how slow it responded. I like to cook (ask anyone that I camp with!) but that cooktop took a lot of the fun out of it. I kept a two burner propane stove in the pull out storage shelf outside and used that instead.

Try the forum on the Expedition Portal site. I haven't read any of the disputed posts but I don't want to read only fan-boy posts about campers that I have to save years for to afford.

Florida said:
I agree that a diesel ceramic top can be slow to come to temp, but we've had good luck with the Wallas two burner that we have in our 'BoaterHome'. It doubles as a heater, with a small fan that runs when the stove is on and the lid is down. The current draw is quite small in stove mode, and we often put a small EcoFan on the edge of the cooler burner. It does a good job of pushing air around the cabin. Another benefit is outside venting of exhaust, so no added condensation in the cabin. I also bring a small propane stove for additional cooking outside the boat.

Caveat... A Wallas can be temperamental if not used properly, and they are expensive to repair if they break. We run KleanHeat for fuel rather than diesel.

Well .... I guess ill give my 2 cents.
I was XPMarc and Toni's first customer. With Marc, I rebuilt prototype 1.1 and used it hard for over a year . I agree with most of Simi mikes evaluation and statements. In the beginning XP experienced some growing pains but that never detracted from the vision Marc and Toni had had set fourth. Perservarience has paid off and they are putting out a Very, Very Nice Product with all high end components. I.E. Webasto, Zeiss, Carmanha, Blue Seas etc. these are all top of the line products which price reflects within reason.

I have built four off road rigs with diesel truck platforms, ( Alaskan, ATC, Four Wheel and XP) so think i have a little understanding in what it takes to accomplish this. All four were Great rigs which took me to great locations. Of the four the XP was with out a doubt the most comfortable and efficient of the bunch. Would I buy another one ??? Without hesitation if I was over landing full time. In the end the XP turned out to be way more than I needed considering time restraints with work. Hope this helps. asset.php.jpeg

That is good to hear. I have a friend who is also happy with his XP. Did you re-sell the camper through this forum?

Back
Top Bottom