Transmission Cooler

Roger

Hi,
Since I my last trip to Death Valley I came back with a (hot transmission only) ATF leak from the transmission on my 1997 2.7 2WD Toyota T100, in the middle-upper bell housing. Of course I took it to my hyper-vigilant local mechanic: Transmission re-seal. Well, yeah, I am not going to argue that point. The good news is most of ATF was in the transmission, I am awaiting the rest of the news for tomorrow.
The reason for this post is, I see a lost of discussion regarding suspension (air bags vs. springs). My work mate noted that I was, at the least, inconsiderate to my trucks drive train, to not have a stacked plate ATF cooler, at the least a proper "hauler" would install a conventional fin cooled ATF cooler.
So... What say you?

What would you install or what do you have installed.
Did you do it yourself?
What grade of reprobate am I for not installing an ATF before hauling my FWC? 1-angel 10=truck killer.

thanks

Roger

Wow! Rare truck, 2wd, 4 cylinder, long bed. There is already a cooler inside your radiator. You can add an additional cooler in series for a few bucks and no mre than 30 minutes work.

If you have not installed an adapter bracket on your rear axle for the brake proportioning valve, you better do it before someone gets hurt.
http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/3518/

My truck has the factory tow package an came with an axillary trans cooler.

One thing I did add and have said it is money well spent numerous times is a transmission temp sensor/gauge. I suspect many folks don't realize how much heat there transmission generates when shifting back and forth and if you want to keep the temps down you need to start manually down shifting as required. This isn't just talking about locking out overdrive on the freeways, going between 1st & 2nd or 2nd & 3rd on backroads does it as well. The hotter your trans gets the shorter the life cycles it has...

Inline temperature sensing block:
DSC02845Small.jpg

Pillar gauge:
DSC02864Small.jpg

I've always run auxillary coolers on all of my transmissions - for the price it is great insurance. and if you haven't got an automatic too hot yet - you aren't trying hard enough :p

Your co-worker seems to know what he is talking about if he dropped "stacked plate" on you. :D They are the better style of air cooled fluid coolers out there. BUT a good old tube/fin cooler will do the job just fine.

I'd get the largest cooler thay make that is rated for your application. You can go too big - so don't buy just anything. Your transmission needs to be able to maintain and operate at a certain temp to function correctly.

You can do it yourself if you have some skills and a very basic tool set. Nothing fancy or challenging about it.

I have heard (regarding other trucks) that if the trans gets too hot , the front seal can soften and leak while hot and under pressure. When it cools it is normal.

An aux. cooler is good life insurance if you are pulling a load.

Here is a good source for (stacked plate) coolers. It's not difficult to do. Always install so that the fluid runs to the rad first, then the cooler and back to the trans.

http://www.transmissioncoolers.us/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=SFNT

Toyota forums would provide more info-try google.

Just to reiterate since I didn't outright say it in my first post. Having a trans cooler just helps cool things but does not keep temps at a safe level if you're in a situation where the trans is shifting alot or it has down shifted due to load and you haven't locked out that higher gear. So don't think you're free and clean and don't have to worry about temps if you just get a cooler. You will still generate heat and you do need to manually down shift as required to make sure you stop generating that heat.

Transmission life is inversely related to trans fluid temperature. The hotter you run a transmission (over the recommended normal operating temps) the faster it dies, period. Monitoring that temp is a good way to make sure you're aware of the situation.

All of this is but one reason I use a manual trans.

Yeah a perk for sure if you decide shifting fits your MO. I'm still slightly on the auto side of things still all considered, really don't find driving manual trucks all that fun (compared to cars).

This topic is a 'hot' one on many forums. Should I, shouldn't I (answer is yes you should), where physically to place it, where in the system to place it, etc.

A friend with a 4wd T-100 noted that his truck has a light that comes on when the trans temp is high. Might check to see if that is an option or if it can be added simply.

The trans is cooled by the fluid that it pulls up out of the pan. Not all of that fluid is sent to the cooler after going thru the trans, only that which was pumped into the converter goes thru the cooler. The fluid that wasn't sent to the cooler simply rains down back into the pan. The fluid that has come back to the trans from the cooler is dumped into the pan, mixing with the fluid that has rained down out of the trans. At least this is how the GM & Ford autos that I've worked on were arranged and I've seen nothing to indicate that other trans' are done differently.

For a gauge sender putting it in the cooler line means that you're only seeing either the fluid temp coming out of the torque converter or you're seeing the temperature of the fluid coming back from the cooler. Neither is a real indicator of what the actual trans internal temps are, but it is a good place to monitor if you want to know what the hottest that the fluid has gotten is. If you tend to spike the fluid temps a lot this might be a good thing as the fluid's chemistry changes when over-heated and it should be replaced if it has gotten excessively hot or has been spiked several times.
While I prefer putting the sender in the trans pan, it too has some downsides. Complexity of install is the first. Unless you're a semi-talented fabricator, know one, or are near-by to me your options for doing this are not well engineered and can be leakage points. If you do put the sender in the pan, add a drain too. Sender in the pan is essentially the same as monitoring the outlet from the radiator, it won't give you an exact temperature - just an idea of the range that the trans is operating in. Some guys monitor both, either with two gauges or with a switch between two senders. I use a grounding switch type sender to turn on a light. A search thru various catalogs, like VDO, will turn up temperature switches with just about any temperature calibration the you might want.
For me personally I consider the trans to be a permanent item and the fluid to be a consumable. Annual replacement of the fluid in heavy service is more than acceptable to me.

Keep in mind that as designed the trans is expected to run at the same temperature as the engine because the radiator cooler ties the two temps together. This isn't necessarily the ideal arrangement, it just would cost the OE too much to make it differently and it is close enough to work well and live. The trans does need to reach at least 160*f to boil off any condensation in the fluid. Ideally it would run between 160*f and 180*f.

So, coolers. What to get and where to place it depends a lot on where you live and under what circumstances you operate the truck in. There are 3 relatively simple ways and one not quite as simple way to install an auxiliary trans cooler.
A: Ahead of the cooler in the radiator.
B: After the radiator cooler.
C: Instead of the radiator cooler.
D: Before or after the radiator cooler, but with a thermostat.

A: There are proponents of this plumbing configuration who claim that in doing it this way that you reduce the thermal load on the radiator. I'm in this camp. What this also does is allow the radiator cooler to warm the fluid back up if the aux cooler did too good of a job. Makes the system semi-self temp regulating. Absolutely no doubt that this will work the fluid harder, but again I consider the fluid the consumable and not the trans. I see this configuration as being more flexible with regard to ambient temperatures.

B: For years this was considered the only way to plumb an aux. cooler. Doing it this way does not reduce the thermal load on the radiator, though it does continue to cool the trans fluid. I see no advantage to this configuration, and even though I'm trying to present the options unbiased I'm having a hard time finding a valid argument in favor of this configuration.

C: I would only suggest this for a vehicle that only sees high ambient temperatures and does not ever need to operate in cold weather. If this is done the cooler needs to be the biggest unit that can be made to fit.

D: Probably the most ideal would be this configuration though it is certainly not the least expensive option. Before or after the radiator cooler will have the same sets of pros and cons as A & B. Can also plumb it to be in parallel to the radiator cooler. Not sure that I would do this, but it's a possibility. Adding the thermostat means that the aux cooler only works when it is needed. These are available from BAT-Mocal, Pegasus Racing, and possibly Baker Precision though I didn't easily find one there.

A note on the hoses and fittings usually supplied with "trans cooler kits", they're junk. Don't waste your money as that type of hose fitting will leak. Maybe not right away, but it will leak. Mess factor aside, there is the inconvenience, expense, and the potential danger of a failed transmission.
The better solution that doesn't mean going to the "race car" AN stuff is called "Push-Loc" or Barb-tite" etc. depending on who the mfg is. Can buy lightweight aluminum versions of this type of hose end from places like Summit Racing, but can also get steel and brass hose ends from industrial vendors. For those near the 93003/4 zip I'll highly recommend Don's Industrial in Ventura. The hose used on these fittings is specific to the fittings and I strongly recommend using the Aeroquip FC33 hose. I have had much experience with this hose, and though it's not cheap, it will last and work and seal far past your interest in the vehicle. The crucial key to understand is that this fitting and hose design does NOT want or need a hose clamp. In fact, putting a hose clamp on these fittings will compromise the joint and make it fail prematurely.

The racing vendor links above also have coolers as does Summit Racing and Speedway Motors. The stacked plate design is more robust in rough service and reportedly has a smaller pressure drop than does the tube and fin type of coolers though Fluidyne, a very good name in coolers, does make tube & fin type coolers so there must be an advantage to them in some applications. If you go with the thermostat configuration then I would get the largest cooler that you can make fit. Some late model trans' need a lot of cooling so the biggest cooler that you can find may not be a bad thing.

BTW, I've seen a plot of the trans life vs. temperature curve in a trade publication (wish that I'd have kept it). the curve is an inverse logarithmic curve. That is to say that as the temperature increases linearly the trans lifespan decreases logarithmically. 10* increase from 180* means not a lot. 10* increase from 250* is a huge loss in lifespan.

For folks wishing to monitor more parameters than the factory guages....there are monitoring devices that plug into your computer port. I have the EDGE Insight CTS on my truck. They even have mounting pods for specific truck applications and look like a factory install.

You can set them up to display different numbers of parameters at your choosing. I chose to monitor 8 parameters: 1) EGT (exhaust gas temp), 2) Boost (turbo boost), 3) DPF Status (diesel particulate filter status), 4) Bat (battery voltage), 5) Gear TCL (gear and torque converter lock), 6) ECT (engine coolant temperature), 7) EOT (engine oil temperature) and 8) TFT (transmission fluid temp).

These are the parameters I feel are important for me to monitor for my truck, YMMV.

8 guages for good eyes.JPG

Edge Insight CTS installed.jpg

Ford interior2.JPG

Edge Insight side view DSC_08920001.JPG

I just added a LPD, low pressure drop, cooler, in front of the radiator and it has drop trans temps from 20-30 degrees, very happy. $80 plus a professional install. Recommended install was from existing trans cooler (7.3) to the new cooler, to the trans. Very happy :D

For folks wishing to monitor more parameters than the factory guages....there are monitoring devices that plug into your computer port. I have the EDGE Insight CTS on my truck. They even have mounting pods for specific truck applications and look like a factory install.
Heck of a gauge there. But not too pricey if you want a number of gauges anyway. I have a fuel pressure gauge for my sometimes finicky 6.5 TD and with the electronic sender, I am already $150 in. If I had known about this Insight monitor, I would have gotten it instead.

Heck of a gauge there. But not too pricey if you want a number of gauges anyway. I have a fuel pressure gauge for my sometimes finicky 6.5 TD and with the electronic sender, I am already $150 in. If I had known about this Insight monitor, I would have gotten it instead.

I use an "ultra guage" it is a bit cheesy but it has a lot of info to pull from the OBD II; but no transmission temp. I think it was $60?
* Open/Closed Loop Emissions Status
* Percent Engine Load
* Engine coolant temperature
* Short Term Fuel Trim Bank 1
* Long Term Fuel Trim Bank 1
* RPM
* MPH
* Ignition Timing Advance
* Intake Air Temperature
* Mass Air Flow Sensor output in grams/sec
* Absolute Throttle Position Percentage
* Bank 1 Oxygen Sensor 1 Voltage
* Bank 1 Oxygen Sensor 2 Voltage
* Mass Air Flow 2, Calibrated/Calculated
* Instantaneous Miles Per Gallon (MPG)
* Average Miles Per Gallon (MPG)
* Average Miles Per Hour (MPH)
* Average Gallon Per Hour (GPH) - general
* Run Time - general
* Distance - general
* Fuel Used - general
* Instantaneous Gallons Per Hour (GPH)
* Fuel Tank Gallons Remaining
* Distance to Empty(DTE)
* Time to Empty (TTE)
* Volumetric Efficiency (MAP vehicles only)
* Average MPH - trip
* Average MPG - trip
* Fuel Used Gallons- trip
* Average Gallon Per Hour (GPH) - trip
* Run Time -trip
* Distance - trip
* Oil Distance
* Service Distance
* UltraGauge Temperature

Roger

Attachments

• scan guage 002.JPG