Trip planning - CA, North Rim, UT, OR

thatsatechnique

Advanced Member
Having just retired from the Marines, I am taking some time to explore a little more with my newfound time. I'm going to be taking the kids on a 3-week road trip that, if you plot it on a map, would make no sense at all. The plan is to figure it out as we go - adventure! So that being said, it wouldn't hurt to have some ideas from the experts (you). If you have any "must see" or "secret spots" you'd be willing to share privately or publicly, I would sure appreciate it. Here is our general itinerary:

Mojave (Caruther's Canyon)
North Rim Grand Canyon
Zion
Fishlake NP, UT
Salt Lake for a night
-all the way back over to the Redwoods
Up the northern Cali coast
Follow the Oregon coast all the way up to Astoria and over to Portland.

Anyway, if you've come across any great spots outside the big tourist traps, that's what we're looking for. We'll see you on (or off) the road! :)

-CHRIS

Attachments

• IMG_9275.JPG
    IMG_9275.JPG
    416.9 KB · Views: 82
ribs said:
Having just retired from the Marines, I am taking some time to explore a little more with my newfound time. I'm going to be taking the kids on a 3-week road trip that, if you plot it on a map, would make no sense at all. The plan is to figure it out as we go - adventure! So that being said, it wouldn't hurt to have some ideas from the experts (you). If you have any "must see" or "secret spots" you'd be willing to share privately or publicly, I would sure appreciate it. Here is our general itinerary:

Mojave (Caruther's Canyon)
North Rim Grand Canyon
Zion
Fishlake NP, UT
Salt Lake for a night
-all the way back over to the Redwoods
Up the northern Cali coast
Follow the Oregon coast all the way up to Astoria and over to Portland.

Anyway, if you've come across any great spots outside the big tourist traps, that's what we're looking for. We'll see you on (or off) the road! :)

-CHRIS
Chris, Semper Fi from an old Marine. Congratulations on your retirement, and thanks for your service to our great nation!

PM me fo Oregon info, I will fill in if I can.

Steve

Chris-

Try that big bump that sticks out into the Pacific north of Fort Bragg and Westport-Union State Beach on HW1 for some neat wilderness type play areas! The Lost Coast-King Range Conservation Area-Mattole Point Area has neat beaches, camping, redwoods, Elk, and usually not many people. In some places it's almost like going back to the 60's :p ! From an old Army Man, 10,000 years ago, thanks for staying in and making retirement!

Smoke

If you don't make reservations (recommended), or they don't have any open camp sites (unlikely) at the North Rim NP Campground (if you want to camp there) then...

About half way back on Hwy 67 to Jacob Lake (you had to go through Jacob Lake to get to the North RIm, good place for GAS) there is either; 1) De Motte Campground on the West side of Hwy 67 (almost opposite The North Rim Country Store, East side of Hwy 67) if you need water and toilets, or, 2) just go south 0.6 of a mile on Hwy 67 from De Motte to "Deer Lake" (not much of a lake and probably just a small dry pond right next to Hwy 67) to FR22 and head up into the Kaibab National Forest for dispersed camping spots. Actually almost any of the Forest Service Roads to the West will provide dispersed camp sites.

Between Caruther's Canyon and Southern Utah if you're looking for a campsite, there is Valley of Fire in Nevada, with showers, toilets. plus the last 5 times I've been there the night time lightening show is pretty fantastic. Open the soft side windows and enjoy the view and the sounds of rain on the roof

Semper Fi. Try the Lost Coast loop, AW Way campground on the Mattole is pretty nice. It's been a few years but the beach right before the Mattole road heads inland to Ferndale had tons of little crabs and other critters my kids loved to find. If the Corps issued you a wife and she is along for the trip she will probably like Ferndale, a quaint Victorian village. Try the Samoa cook house across the bay from Eureka, there is also some logging/train stuff right by there too. Fort Humboldt in Eureka has some cool old logging equipment and used to run a steam donkey weekly in the summer. South of Ferndale a few miles is Scotia, one of the last company towns in the US. They have logging equipment and tours available. See my reply to uhauler for stuff north of Eureka.

Yant Flat

Just like Bryce Canyon, you start by going DOWN, the easy part, and you go UP, the hardest part, when it's time to come back to the truck. If you do this plan properly, and take lots of water.

I prefer to go to The Wave. A longer hike, but better rocks, IMO. However, I don't think you'll be close to it on this trip. This one takes some planning in advance by either entering the lottery on the appointed date, or at this late of a date you'd be lucky to wait in line for the held back daily permits to get permission on any day.

Back
Top Bottom