Truck Camper Adventure

WildWardWest

Greetings friends

I am about to get into truck camper camping. I've been researching for awhile now and I think I'm going to get a Palomino ss 1251. I know I know its a Palomino. But for what I'm looking for, can't beat that entry level price.

My main concern is an age old truck camper question, which truck? Specs say the camper fits a half ton, but the dry weight 1800 and wet est. 2500 lb say otherwise. I'm not a big truck guy so I'd rather only have the amount of truck I need. I've owned a few Ford Rangers and had a job in college where I drove a 2 ton dump truck a few times, but I really don't feel the need to drive a tank. If I could get away with driving a half ton that would be great, but I'm not willing to sacrifice safety.

So what do you guys think? Can a half ton do the job? What is the ideal truck for this set up? I have looked at a few f250 7.3l diesels, but I'm not liking the price. I want to get into this as cheap as possible (hence the palomino instead of a four wheel camper). I don't mind driving an older truck neither. Also, on some trips I might pull a small 1,000 lb boat.

Any incite is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

At 1,800lbs dry weight I would consider nothing less than a 3/4 ton truck. With a 1/2 ton you'll be way over GVWR.

Figure another 1,000lbs for gear, water, propane, passengers and a full tank of gas and now your starting to push towards 3,000lbs which is about the max payload for most 3/4 ton gassers.

Think about the real difference between a1/2t and a 3/4t, particularly in older trucks where the body may be the same for both. Heavier frame, bigger brakes, heavier duty rear axle (full-float vs. semi float), heavier (duty) wheels & tires. None of those are bad things when carrying a camper and really don't have a huge impact on how the truck drives unladen. Assuming the same engine and axle ratio there shouldn't be any difference in economy either.

Spring rates will differ, and that will have an impact on how the truck drives unladen. 3/4t's do tend to have lower (numerically higher) axle ratios, which aids in pulling loads and going up hills. So their economy probably won't be the same.

To make a 1/2t work well you'll need to address the rear springs (heaveir springs, air springs, etc.), add heavier duty tires (Load Range D's or E's) (& possibly wheels too), and look into if there's a more/better braking option for the truck, and depending on region possibly consider re-gearing to a lower axle ratio. All of the things that differentiate the 1/2t from a 3/4t. I just don't see the point of a 1/2t if the camper is to be on the truck full time.

Sorry for the late response! I just now saw them. (thought I'd get a notification). Thanks for the feed back. It looks like I'm leaning more and more to 3/4 ton f250. It just makes more sense considering what all I'd have to do to a smaller one just to make it road safe. Thanks again for the help.

My last two trucks have been 3/4T and I've never regretted it. Only just recently bought a camper but have always towed a jeep. Just everything about it keeps you well within the service envelope.

I had a bronco on my 2006 Dodge 1500. Plenty of power, but stopping and handling were not very comfortable. I wouldn't do it again with out a 3/4 ton.

Back
Top Bottom