Truck / Camper Security

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!
After several of our members had their truck and campers stolen, I decided that I wanted something that would make it very hard to steal. Most of us probably have $50K - $80K invested in our rigs. I didn't like the idea that my 2013 F-250 had such a large target painted on it; they say the F-250 is at the top of the list for stolen trucks.

Yesterday I had Ravelco's ignition cut-off installed. Hidden electrical connections are made in the engine compartment. There is a plug with 16 pins that you plug in to start the car and you remove the plug when you leave your car.

The cost was $499.95. Spending $500 for peace of mind when my truck and FWC cost almost $60K was a no brainer. They have locations all across the country. I drove 2-1/2 hours to northern Indiana to meet the installer. The install takes 2-3 hours.

www.ravelco.com

They have a number of videos on the web site. The company also advertises that they have never had a vehicle stolen that uses their system.

I also plan on purchasing another devise that covers the steering wheel and locks the brake pedal.

jd

We had a Ravelco installed years ago. There's nothing to match it for simplicity (no moving parts) and security. Thieves might break in and take stuff, but unless they have a tow truck you know your vehicle will be there then you return.

My truck is old school. It has an ECM but no always on fancy electronics to scramble when power is lost. I'll just put a battery switch under the hood. Simple and effective most of the time. I always do that when I install a winch anyway. If the truck is left in a place where I'm concerned I just pull the fuel pump relay from the underhood fuse box and take it with me. 30 seconds to do. No relay=no fuel pump= truck no run!

After reading Ravelco's website and looking at reviews I am really impressed. That is not a simple kill switch.

Scares me carrying something with me. I tend to drop a lot of stuff. Why I have a spare key hidden away.

I like the idea of a steering wheel lock. It is visible and a deterrent which might stop someone from even making the attempt. Could use a kill switch or relay pull as a backup :)

Apparently thieves have been freezing locks, with liquid nitrogen and using a hammer to break off the lock. With the club they just cut the steering wheel and remove. Anything we use can slow them down.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

Timothy McGowen said:
Thats a great idea.
I thought so too but the reviews on Amazon were mixed at best. Seems to be a lot of problems with rusting and corrosion.

Durango1 said:
I thought so too but the reviews on Amazon were mixed at best. Seems to be a lot of problems with rusting and corrosion.
I read a lot of those too... A lot of the Park Service vehicles at Mt Rainier National Park them and they see a lot of rain and wet conditions with no problem. I know they do lubricate the mechanism every now and then. However they do not use chemicals or salt on the road in the winter, which is where the big corrosion issues come in.

Kolockum said:
I read a lot of those too... A lot of the Park Service vehicles at Mt Rainier National Park them and they see a lot of rain and wet conditions with no problem. I know they do lubricate the mechanism every now and then. However they do not use chemicals or salt on the road in the winter, which is where the big corrosion issues come in.
Good point. Here in CO they don't use salt. And I really want one! :) Hey it is only 43 bucks on Amazon. Maybe I'll grease 'er up good and go fer it!

Squatch said:
My truck is old school. It has an ECM but no always on fancy electronics to scramble when power is lost. I'll just put a battery switch under the hood. Simple and effective most of the time. I always do that when I install a winch anyway. If the truck is left in a place where I'm concerned I just pull the fuel pump relay from the underhood fuse box and take it with me. 30 seconds to do. No relay=no fuel pump= truck no run!
I think that is the BEST advice..imho.

Ever thought of just putting the transfer case in neutral? I suppose a few might figure it out.

craig333 said:
Ever thought of just putting the transfer case in neutral? I suppose a few might figure it out.
That is not that bad of an idea. I have put my transfer case in neutral on my jeep while working on it then spent 20 minutes trying to figure out why it wouldn't drive.

One important thing to remember security wise is a lot of thiefs will sit and watch parking lots/popular trail heads. This allows them to see what people are hiding and where they are hiding it; ie. spare keys, wallets/purses, GPS units, etc. All of my kill switches are set up assuming I have to activate it while being watched.

Kolockum said:
<snip> One important thing to remember security wise is a lot of thiefs will sit and watch parking lots/popular trail heads. This allows them to see what people are hiding and where they are hiding it; ie. spare keys, wallets/purses, GPS units, etc. All of my kill switches are set up assuming I have to activate it while being watched.
Yeah, that's why I want a kill switch or something that I can do from inside my cab.
No lifting the hood or external hiding/retrieving keys.

Kolockum said:
That is not that bad of an idea. I have put my transfer case in neutral on my jeep while working on it then spent 20 minutes trying to figure out why it wouldn't drive.
One important thing to remember security wise is a lot of thiefs will sit and watch parking lots/popular trail heads. This allows them to see what people are hiding and where they are hiding it; ie. spare keys, wallets/purses, GPS units, etc. All of my kill switches are set up assuming I have to activate it while being watched.

What is the year/make of your truck?

If it is new enough to have a transponder key, then the Ravelco is not going to add much security and adds a pretty major failure point - splices on mission critical wiring harnesses.

Back
Top Bottom