Truck Fridge Portable Fridge

Had the thin film for a while now and have no issues with it keeping up with my ARB fridge full-time. Sometimes even partially shaded by my Yakima cargo basket and/or canoe on top. Never seem to see the battery below 12.8V anymore. Fit is just fine on my shorter Finch. You can see the fit on my build page: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/52153-New-FWC-Finch-Shell-Build-(2008-Tacoma)/page2

-joe D.

Before sticking that down did you ever lay it out in the sun and see/feel how hot the backside got by chance?

Before sticking that down did you ever lay it out in the sun and see/feel how hot the backside got by chance?

Did not check that out. Kinda just trusted that Phoenix campers was doing it and it wouldn't be a problem. Guess that might reduce the lifespan of the panel and adjust performance in summer/winter. $99 and no screws in the roof sold me on it, though.

Did not check that out. Kinda just trusted that Phoenix campers was doing it and it wouldn't be a problem. Guess that might reduce the lifespan of the panel and adjust performance in summer/winter. $99 and no screws in the roof sold me on it, though.

Oh I don't see an issue with your deal I was just wondering on my end. Its an appealing idea to put two of those down the sides of my camper build but as I was mentioning before if that gets too hot it could cause structural softening on my camper since its composite.

Now that I have the camper back together

plywood repair

I'm starting some test runs in the camper. First thing I noticed is this fridge - after it is down to set temperature - is cool on the outside. We have spent many nights in the camper in cold weather so I'm thinking how it may feel sitting next to this box when it's down into the teens outside. I will be working on some type of insulating cover.

Quick query on the built in units, does anyone know which compressor is in those and actual average consumption? My wandering mind was reading up on things and I noticed the portable units specifically reference the danfoss compressor (and I know in reality using my ARB that average consumption in the .8amp range for me, it'll be interesting to see in the CO heat though now). The build in units reference an average consumption of 24watts (ie about 2amps!). I'm curious what folks are really seeing out there, hopefully not that high?

Bringing this back from the dead.

How are those of you who bought one of these a while back still liking them? I just ordered a TF51 on the Group buy. I couldn't pass up the price. Picked up a mounting bracket as well. That came in today. Expecting the fridge on Saturday.

Squatch said:
Bringing this back from the dead.

How are those of you who bought one of these a while back still liking them? I just ordered a TF51 on the Group buy. I couldn't pass up the price. Picked up a mounting bracket as well. That came in today. Expecting the fridge on Saturday.
As stated in the other Truckfridge thread I have had great success with the TF41 after almost 4 years.
Since those older posts I have increased my solar to 105 Ws and have a new 100ah battery so everything is great.
I like the size and how quiet it runs,don't even hear ir and it's now inside the camper.
Frank

I like mine more since I installed enough solar to run it. Divider could be a little more robust.

Steve here is a photo of the Truckfridge location.It has a 12v plug ,in the battery compartment under the seat.

Frank

IMG_1376.jpg

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Steve here is a photo of the Truckfridge location.It has a 12v plug ,in the battery compartment under the seat.

Frank

attachicon.gif
IMG_1376.jpg
I am curious how well does that ventilate being so close to 2 panels. The vents are in the rear on the sides and they look to not have much air flow around them..... Any problems overheating?

Happyjax said:
I am curious how well does that ventilate being so close to 2 panels. The vents are in the rear on the sides and they look to not have much air flow around them..... Any problems overheating?
The rear area has air flow,due to the shape of the cooler.
The cabinet side has a lot of space so has good air flow.
Haven't had any problems.
Frank

Your new handles reminded me of something. The bars in the stock handle are a tad short and rattle in the mounts. A small circle of closed cell foam on one end is a quick fix for this.

Mine has been running in the garage for a couple of days now. It's been hot outside. It rarely even kicks on. But after trimming trees in the sun yesterday that Gatorade I pulled out sure was cold! :D

Is anyone using the factory mounting bracket? Does it hold securely? Or does the fridge still need to be strapped down on rough roads.

I'm having to replace the original 3 way in my '05 Hawk. Planning on pulling out the 3 way and installing a chest fridge on a slider in the existing cabinet space. I can't decide between the Truckfridge 41 or 51. The only difference is height, which I have plenty of. Anyone wish they had gone larger or smaller ? I can't find specs on current draw between the two. It's usually just me and the Mrs and we are generally on the go most of the time so I'm hoping my 100 amp battery will last 2-3 days boondocking.

I have the TF51 and love it. I wouldn't go smaller. In the real world inside volume is less than my 54qt Coleman cooler. But no ice so that does make a difference. The basket is nice but takes up space. I don't use it much. A case of beer or canned soft drinks will fill the bottom then I put food on that. i have found some plastic "Tupperware replacement" style boxes that fit well. I prefer these to putting meat ect in Ziplock bags. Far less likely to leak.

I guess the most telling endorsement I can give is that within 2 days of use Mama Squatch swore whe would never go back to a cooler for anything except drinks and ice.

I have a Trimetric monitor so it's easy to watch the draw. On max setting which realistically is never needed it draws 4.5 amps

On Eco it draws 2.5 amps. I have gone 5 days using the fridge and morning evening use of the furnace for a couple of cycles each time and never got below 78% on my 110 AH deep cycle with enough shade and clouds that I never really got any real charging.

A long weekend without sun is not an issue for us.

Unless it is HOT and the camper is in the sun. When the fridge is somewhat packed with a case of drinks and some food. It really doesn't run much unless you are in and out of it a lot. Opening the lid doesn't cause a loss of cold the way a front loader door does.

In my Eagle I also have it mounted against the rollover couch and front wall facing north south in the floor. With the bed extended access is good and there is room beside it for my directors chairs when traveling. Ventilation is good in this location. The shape of the roll over couch and the handle give it a few inches all the way around for air flow. I guess I should take pics.

The mounting plate works well. But is still there if the fridge is not. Not an issue for our use and keep the fridge planted where it should be.

Except for a couple of months over the winter ours stays in the camper and running mostly loaded for the next trip. We've only had it since last summer but based on so far I'd buy another one if I needed one.

Great advice, thanks!! I'd like to place it under the front window, but the water tank cabinet resides there. I'll start out by placing it where the 3 way was since it's already wired there, has an outside vent, and should be somewhat sound proofed. I'm happy to hear that you don't think the TF51 is too large. I'm heading to Saline Valley in a couple of weeks and was concerned about having to pack 5 days of drinks and groceries. Thanks again!!

Back
Top Bottom