Truck rolled back, major damage and lots of questions

Ok guys, picking up the thread. Truck and camper are now safely at their repair stations at FWC hq and a collision center.

The truck damage estimate came in at around $8.5k. I have a detailed breakdown and from what i see, both the rear leaf suspensions are going to be replaced. And the bumper. The air bags I had installed are fine apparently, and holding air.

So... I am wondering if this is a great time to just get heavier rear leaf spring set? For the Titan, I dont see any complete replacement aftermarket leaf spring packs. The best option seems to be to add this Deaver springset on top of the new stock spring set.
http://www.prgproducts.com/shop/product/prg_deaver_titan_c-10_3-leaf_spring_pack/

However, this deaver spring pack adds to the already tall ride height of the truck, and I dont really want that.

Can you guys suggest anything else? I could just have the stock spring pack re-installed, and because the airbags survived, it seems like i could just continue on, but right now seems a great opportunity to get a stronger suspension setup while insurance pays for all of it....

srileo said:
Ok guys, picking up the thread. Truck and camper are now safely at their repair stations at FWC hq and a collision center.

The truck damage estimate came in at around $8.5k. I have a detailed breakdown and from what i see, both the rear leaf suspensions are going to be replaced. And the bumper. The air bags I had installed are fine apparently, and holding air.

So... I am wondering if this is a great time to just get heavier rear leaf spring set? For the Titan, I dont see any complete replacement aftermarket leaf spring packs. The best option seems to be to add this Deaver springset on top of the new stock spring set.
http://www.prgproducts.com/shop/product/prg_deaver_titan_c-10_3-leaf_spring_pack/

However, this deaver spring pack adds to the already tall ride height of the truck, and I dont really want that.

Can you guys suggest anything else? I could just have the stock spring pack re-installed, and because the airbags survived, it seems like i could just continue on, but right now seems a great opportunity to get a stronger suspension setup while insurance pays for all of it....
If you are considering Deaver, I would suggest giving them a call, talking about your truck and the load you're carrying, and see what they can build for you in a complete replacement leaf pack. I really like the spring set they built for my truck.

It looks like in the end thing worked out as they should have. I personally have an insurance broker/agent that I have been dealing with for the past 25+ years and he happily advises me as to what to do when things go wrong. I never have to deal with the insurance company. I hope I never end up in your situation, but you have made me think about quite a few things. I'm glad you have the fortune of being so close to the FWC factory.

BTW I like the look of your truck and camper. Very nice set-up. I hope the repairs go well and I'm glad nobody got hurt.

What caused the truck to roll back on it's own?

ski3pin said:
If you are considering Deaver, I would suggest giving them a call, talking about your truck and the load you're carrying, and see what they can build for you in a complete replacement leaf pack. I really like the spring set they built for my truck.
Can you recall a rough $$ amount that you paid for the replacement? I will call them tomorrow. Insurance is going to pay only around $1000 for both the set and the associated hardware.
If the deavers are a daoable price, the airbags can just be a secondary system i suppose.

Bill,
yes, so far I have been very pleased with Progressive. They seem to have their act together. They call me daily with updates and progress and have been pleasantly professional. Ofcourse, now I have to brace for the hike in the premium.

Bill D said:
It looks like in the end thing worked out as they should have. I personally have an insurance broker/agent that I have been dealing with for the past 25+ years and he happily advises me as to what to do when things go wrong. I never have to deal with the insurance company. I hope I never end up in your situation, but you have made me think about quite a few things. I'm glad you have the fortune of being so close to the FWC factory.

BTW I like the look of your truck and camper. Very nice set-up. I hope the repairs go well and I'm glad nobody got hurt.

I still do not know. I think not operator error (me). I parked it on a perfectly flat spot, got out hastily, but i might have not pushed the gear all the way into Park, it might have stopped at Reverse. However, I definitely pulled the keys out of the ignition and had it in my pocket when the truck rolled back.
The first thing I want to check when i get the truck back is if i can replicate it.

shridhar

Bill D said:

srileo said:
Can you recall a rough $$ amount that you paid for the replacement? I will call them tomorrow. Insurance is going to pay only around $1000 for both the set and the associated hardware.
If the deavers are a daoable price, the airbags can just be a secondary system i suppose.
Somewhere around $750......................rough memory but I bet pretty close. :)

srileo said:
I still do not know. I think not operator error (me). I parked it on a perfectly flat spot, got out hastily, but i might have not pushed the gear all the way into Park, it might have stopped at Reverse. However, I definitely pulled the keys out of the ignition and had it in my pocket when the truck rolled back.
The first thing I want to check when i get the truck back is if i can replicate it.

shridhar
That's pretty crazy. Try not to lose too much hair scratching your head :)
It will be interesting to know if you can replicate it, once you get the truck back.
I live in flat Alberta so I never use my park brake with an automatic, but I'll keep your situation in mind next time I park on in an area where the vehicle could roll back.

Living in SF we saw rolling ghost cars lots. They were always out of towners who didnt use parking brakes. The best was a brand new 911 that was getting cosy with my Subaru. Lucky owner no damage and I use the parking brake and curb tires ;-). I got a ticket for not curbing once. They do write those. Glad your ok and getting the rig put back together.

Could there be a malfunction in the shift lever/ignition switch/key.
I thought that the reason for all this special ignition lock was to prevent from taking the key out unless
the shift lever is in park.Might be something to look into while the truck is in for repairs.
I always try and do put the lever in park,but will try and be extra cautious now.
And I always curb the wheels in SF/bay area.Even on a slight grade you might get a ticket,it's their call after all.
Food for thought.
Frank

Sorry to hear about your accident, glad Progressive is taking care of you. I've always wondered why some folks don't use their parking brake all the time. I don't even think about it and set it religiously. I'm always a little taken aback when I get in somebody else's car or a rental and it's not set. Is there any good reason not to use it?

BillM said:
Sorry to hear about your accident, glad Progressive is taking care of you. I've always wondered why some folks don't use their parking brake all the time. I don't even think about it and set it religiously. I'm always a little taken aback when I get in somebody else's car or a rental and it's not set. Is there any good reason not to use it?
The only time I don't set a parking brake is in wet/freezing conditions, and then only if it is on REALLY level terrain. I am afraid of breaking something when trying to free up a frozen parking brake, but would risk that before having the chance of a runaway vehicle.

Its the sort of thing that only has to happen once before setting the parking break and curbing the tires becomes a habit. Actually its happened twice to me. I forgot about the Jeep incident. The driveline brake is covered in oil (bad design) and does very little. I was working under the hood when it decided to roll away. Luckily a well place rock stopped it before it became a youtube video.

BillM said:
Rain & Salt make for rusted on parking brakes. It has happened to me more than once. I ALWAYS curb, even if I don't use the brake.

That's great guys, about how cautious you all are with your parking skillz. :p

Having lived in SF all these years, and parallel parked uphill in reverse with a stick shift, I can assure you that i would not have left the truck without parking brake and curbed if the location i parked had any degree of slope to it. The Titan was parked on what is a completely flat surface. Flat for 15 feet. How it rolled back those 15 odd feet to the edge of the slope, I have no clue. Had I parked it on an incline, i wouldn't be as puzzled if i found it rolled.

Its one of those mysteries you ponder about.

Heard back from Deaver today. $850 + tax and 4 weeks to make. They said something about adding just more leafs to the overload spring. Need to confirm with them about the ride springs being heavier duty or not.

FWC has had my camper for a week and have peevishly admitted that they have been too short-staffed to even confirm damages on the camper. Will pay them a visit tomorrow and see where they are at.

srileo said:
Heard back from Deaver today. $850 + tax and 4 weeks to make. They said something about adding just more leafs to the overload spring. Need to confirm with them about the ride springs being heavier duty or not.

FWC has had my camper for a week and have peevishly admitted that they have been too short-staffed to even confirm damages on the camper. Will pay them a visit tomorrow and see where they are at.
Probably too busy getting ready for Expo in Denver next weekend.

After watching a Honda Civic relocate a mini van so the van was blocking my driveway and the civic now had the vans former legal spot, I would say its not entirely impossible the Titan was encouraged to relocate without your approval.

Ha ha haha good one. I love your phrasing! Its entirely possible in SF. Except that in my case, it rolled back within seconds of me exiting the truck and there were no other vehicles around.

CALIcamperdad said:
After watching a Honda Civic relocate a mini van so the van was blocking my driveway and the civic now had the vans former legal spot, I would say its not entirely impossible the Titan was encouraged to relocate without your approval.

Back
Top Bottom