Turnbuckle door screens

badtoytrd

VA...for hopefully a short period of time...with W
I was trying to come up with a way to get a bit more ventilation into the camper by using the turnbuckle hatch opening and still have a screen covering the opening so I sat down at the sewing machine and came up with the below item. I ended up using "plastic canvas" to add some rigidity to the no see um netting and then added some velcro to attach it to the outside. Attaching them to the outside allows me to keep them in place semi-permanently and just open the hatch whenever I need the increased ventilation. Hope this helps someone trying to think through the same problem.

IMG_3755.JPG
IMG_3757.JPG
IMG_3756.JPG

longhorn1 said:
Great idea
+1

Very slick, inexpensive, easy to do etc.

I like the idea that you can still get at a turnbuckle quite easily if you need to.

Where did you pick up no-see-um sized mesh?
I also don't quite understand where the plastic canvas comes into play. Is that the faint X that is visible in the photos?

Bill D said:
+1

Very slick, inexpensive, easy to do etc.

I like the idea that you can still get at a turnbuckle quite easily if you need to.

I also don't quite understand where the plastic canvas comes into play. Is that the faint X that is visible in the photos?
I pretty much buy everything outdoor fabric related from Seattle Fabrics.

I also don't quite understand where the plastic canvas comes into play.
The no see um is backed by the plastic canvas. The no see um is essentially sandwiched between a sheet of plastic canvas and the velcro around the edge. I just laid everything down on my table, stapled it together and then ran it through the sewing machine.

Is that the faint X that is visible in the photos?
The x is just residual chalk pencil from where I drew a line for a stitch that runs across the middle.

You beat me to it. Having been in the north Maine woods on a hot summer night... the added air flow was needed and no-see-ums are 'wicked small' little buggers... gotta have that net. I wanted to do this but was thinking of the velcro-ing on the inside as putting them back on when I test the turnbuckle tightness especially after the first day. I will put this back on my list of things to do. Thanks for the photos too.... you are a better seamster than I.

Morning badtoytrd
Very clever idea, conception to completion. Bernard really needs a set as he is attracting insects with is outside storage. :)
Thank you for sharing.

Russ

Longhorn1 you are right one would only need two that are the most accessible. Heck I’d put in for two if you go into production badtoyrd

bfh4n said:
Can you take it off and put it back on from the inside? I use that space for storage and empty beer cans.

- Bernard
Bernard,

You can take them on and off from the inside. If you look at the first picture I added some webbing that acts as a "handles". Question for you...do you have an Arctic Pack for your Fleet?

-Brock

longhorn1 said:
I'm in for buying a pair, just for the rear turn buckles. How did you secure on the outside? jd
buckland said:
Longhorn1 you are right one would only need two that are the most accessible. Heck I’d put in for two if you go into production badtoyrd
If you guys give me a few weeks to get my Fleet back together I will make some up for you. I have to bust out the sewing machine again to make my thermal liner and some no see um screens for the pop-up windows so I'll be in touch.

-Brock

Badtoytrd,
Nice job on the screens,
Is the plastic mesh something like Phifertex, and then you add a second layer of no-see-um mesh? We made some last year out of regular home fiberglass mesh and velcro, the only issue I ran into was that I used adhesive 3M 3/4 velcro and stuck the hook side to the camper around the openings, the hook tape came right off the camper, I ended up having to use a staple gun to keep it in place, did you have the same issue?
Another supply house is Sailrite, they are a little closer to the east coast in Indiana. They have the material for the weather package as well, it is called Evolution Block it, I ordered a sample and it is the same stuff the FWC uses. I have been using them for years, they have great customer service.

I’d be interested in buying a pair as well.

I had tried making a set out of aluminum screen last year, but I just folded over and taped the edges. They were semi-functional but nothing worth writing home about.
I like your design much better - great job!

Josh41 said:
Badtoytrd,
Nice job on the screens,
Is the plastic mesh something like Phifertex, and then you add a second layer of no-see-um mesh? We made some last year out of regular home fiberglass mesh and velcro, the only issue I ran into was that I used adhesive 3M 3/4 velcro and stuck the hook side to the camper around the openings, the hook tape came right off the camper, I ended up having to use a staple gun to keep it in place, did you have the same issue?
Another supply house is Sailrite, they are a little closer to the east coast in Indiana. They have the material for the weather package as well, it is called Evolution Block it, I ordered a sample and it is the same stuff the FWC uses. I have been using them for years, they have great customer service.
The plastic mesh is the same stuff that people make those cheesy tissue holders out of. See below. I have also ordered stuff from Sailrite but I used to live a few blocks from Seattle Fabrics and would stop into their storefront almost once a month. Small operation and great service. Makes me feel still connected to my "home". Seattle Fabrics also has the Evolution block and quite a few yards of it is sitting in my basement waiting to be used up. I haven't tested the velcro or screens yet aside from initial concept testing due to the camper being in a rather extensive drydock. I will report back. The velcro I used is acrylic adhesive so it should hold a did better than the stuff bought from big box stores. We shall see.

m25408.jpg

EDR said:
I’d be interested in buying a pair as well.

I had tried making a set out of aluminum screen last year, but I just folded over and taped the edges. They were semi-functional but nothing worth writing home about.
I like your design much better - great job!
I will add you to the list to contact once I have the camper back on my truck......that is the priority right now.

Awesome idea. A few questions.

On my Eagle (2001) the cables come in via one of those access doors. How do you allow for that? Maybe it's just an issue with older FWC's? I've had a mouse come in that way once.

I don't really remove my camper from the truck but I bet I could figure some way to attach them. Maybe Velcro? The Velcro would solve my above question too.

I might be in for a few if you decide to produce some.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom