Turnbuckle Question

My experience:

1. My turnbuckles only loosen because the camper was moving despite dealer installed turnbuckles/tie-downs.
2. I stopped side-to-side movement by shimming at the wheel wells with wood blocks.
3. Getting good contact with the front bed wall is very difficult. Even after loosening all the turnbuckles and applying the brakes going down a hill I only got "soft" contact with the front bed wall.
4. Getting cut off by a wide bulldozer load at 70 mph (the truck in front of the wide load stopped and pulled over) and engaging "panic assist" followed by full anti-lock braking finally achieved "firm" camper to front-of-the-bed contact. My camper turnbuckles never loosen without lock nuts, wires...
5. I never need to tighten my turnbuckles after 10,000's of miles including washboard. I check my turnbuckles every 2,000 miles.
6. I have four safety chains, one at each turnbuckle.
7. My camper is on full time but will it come off for the next truck someday?

I love my Ford, the brakes are great!!!!!! :)

You won't find split type lock washers on any aircraft or any successful racing vehicle. Why? Their working premise is that the joint is already loose, which is a failed join. I always throw away those that come in hardware kits and employ some other locking means.

If you want a really good read on racing vehicle building, prep, and a whole host of related topics - some of which have bearing on pop-tops and the trucks that bear them and some which that don't, Find a copy of Carroll Smith's "Engineer to Win." If you're at all technically oriented you won't be bored by the book.

My turnbuckles all came loose after some really rough and washboarded roads in Utah canyon country. In fact, the rear ones came completely off. It had never happened before, but I now check them more often and I have started locking them with a jam nut. This would be inpossible with a regular wrench, but is fairly easy with a short (~3 1/2") open-end wrench and the 4" aluminum bar I use to tighten the turnbuckles. (I got the wrench at Home Depot.)

The camper slid back about 1/2" when the turnbuckles were loose. I was able to heave it forward so that the bumpers are touching the front of the bed again. I used an 8-foot 2x4 wedged between my steel hitch-receiver-mounted step and a piece of wood against the back of the camper. With all the turnbuckles loose, the 2x4 provided enough leverage to shove the camper forward.

- Bernard

Jam nut for me, used them for years with success. And I am still using the OE turnbuckles which are part AL (!). But, my set up does permit very easy access to the tie downs.

One thing I want to mention tho is about when the camper has shifted side to side or crept away from the forward bulkhead. In my experience I have been able to move the camper by tightening the turnbuckle(s) as much as I dare that are on the side of the camper I want to have it move toward, followed by loosening the opposite turnbuckle(s) by the same small amount. Over time, with some road induced bouncing, the camper "centers" itself, repositioning as desired. I should note that our camper rests on a ~5/8" rubber fatigue mat.

I don't see mention of too tight? Maybe FWC can chime in? I see some of you use wrenches and such to tighten your turnbuckles. I've always just hand tightened and then one more light for turn with wrench for secure feeling. I use wrench on locknut.
I feel that too much tension could pull loose something... am I over worrying the situation?

I think you're on to something, but I also think that for most it isn't reasonably possible to over-tighten the turn-buckles. Those who have easy access need to be careful not to over-tighten.

This whole "needs to make contact with the front of the bed" thing is perplexing to me. Ours is a 6.5' camper centered in an 8' bed. So it obviously has never made front contact. It has shifted. Once, when the truck slud sideways and I hit the submerged ledge in the waterhole in Cottonwood Cyn UT on our very first trip out with the camper. Since then I've added a rubber bed mat and it moves very little. I've also adjusted my driving technique from what was appropriate for a 4500 lbs., ~100 HP truck to that of one for a 9100 lbs., ~400 HP truck.

Certainly you can overtigthen. I go snug and then another quarter turn. Just did my annual check and three were nice and tight, one was a bit loose. The jam nuts seem to be doing the job.

Agreed on not "over tightening" (without quantifying that :)), I think it's best to allow for some movement esp if the truck box has the room. I too normally hand tighten plus "a little bit". Doing so without using a jam nut or safety wire my turnbuckles will loosen off highway.

Occasionally for a particularly rough road I might loosened off any "tight" turnbuckles to permit a bit more camper movement. Later I might want to reposition the camper as I posted earlier.

The base mat I use has nubs on the underside. I think it has been useful for shifting, drainage and some compression as needed.

As always, YMMV.

I just picked up a brand-new Fleet shell that I put on a Tacoma and I really appreciate the information I am finding on this site. I drove my new shell 200 miles on highway and found that the turnbuckles had loosened slightly right after the install. I was told this was perfectly normal and to check them regularly which I am doing. Based on this thread, I just added two nuts on the right handed threaded hook. After tightening the turnbuckle, I hand tighten these to the top of the aluminum turnbuckle. I still plan on checking the turnbuckles often since they are easily accessed, but does anyone see any cause for concern here? I do plan on driving off-road, but not too hard core. One more thing-- I was told to tighten the turnbuckle until you get a distinct "ting" when you tap the turnbuckle with a screwdriver. Does this sound reasonable to you all?

How tight to tighten a turnbuckle? Sounds like there's a lot of difference of opinion. Everyone's mileage may vary.

I don't do a lot of off-road and drive like the geezer I am. When I first load the camper, I hand tighten my turnbuckles, wiggling them to make sure they're aligned correctly. Then I take my 4" mini adjustable wrench, stick the handle through the slot in the turnbuckle, and then turn another 1/2 to 1 turn.

But I have a rubber bed mat that keeps the camper from sliding around and FWC sent me info on where to locate the eyebolts in my truck bed. They're located so that the turnbuckles all pull in different directions, making sure the camper stays located when hitting a bump.

Don't worry too much about this. You just want to keep the camper from falling off the back of the truck bed, after all. <Smiley>

So far, the zip ties are working for me! Since trying this I have driven several hundred miles and camped once but no off-roading yet.

I lost the right rear turnbuckle on my 4WC this summer after just a few kms of very rough washboard road. On my previous 4WC I used left and right hand threaded safety nuts on the stock turnbuckles and installed safety wires. This worked 100% over 1,000's of km of very rough roads and tracks, but it made for a very difficult installation and removal process (working blind through small access openings).

I am looking to upgrade my turnbuckles to a better model that will not loosen or fall off, but are easy to install/remove. Can anyone suggest a specific make and design of turnbuckle or similar tie down that would be appropriate?

Vic;
I was under the impression that fastguns were large, exterior tie downs for conventional campers. Do they make a compact model that fits between the truck and camper that can be installed and removed thru the 4WC access panels?

Check often. Use lock nuts. Don't overtighten. After my repair (pics might be missing now) I stopped using a tool to tighten them. Bout as tight as I can by hand seems enough.

The Derringers look great, I can't seem to find a length on them. My rear turnbuckles on my Fleet use a few links so I should have to problem fitting them. My front are just the turnbuckle from eye to eye. I have a question in to Torklift, If they get back to me I'll update the length.

Morning Vic
Are you using them? Are they spring loaded , are they a cam style lock and make for simple on /off.
Thanks Russ

Back
Top Bottom