Unplugged That Sucker [Gas Alarm]....Fuse Out!

Wallowa

Double Ought
Old lame me finally saw the fuse for the propane/gas alarm in my '16 Hawk fuse panel...the alarm that was always going off, mostly around 0200 hrs...

So out came the fuse...my question: Forget about the danger of not having an alarm; are there any other problems generated by taking that fuse out?

Thanks...Phil

Yank it out and look at the date on the back. Its possible it sat on the shelf long enough that its already out of date.

craig333 said:
Yank it out and look at the date on the back. Its possible it sat on the shelf long enough that its already out of date.

Question is what constitutes "out of date"?

Ours was driving us crazy about 3 years past the manufactured date. Both high heat and humidity seemed to be settling it off. Also dust. Replaced it and it’s been fine for 6 months now.

I’d think other than safety concerns removing the fuse shouldn’t be a problem. In my 2015 FWC it’s on it’s own circuit, probably a safety requirement. My recommendation would be to replace it, there cheap and it’s a 5 minute job. Especially if you run a furnace.

Dean

Our fuse for the propane/CO detector is labeled as "propane/CO detector and circuit breaker lights" and the circuit breaker lights stop when the propane/CO detector fuse is removed. No big loss since we do not use the 120 volt grid. The circuit breakers still work just not the breaker label lights.

Our second propane/CO detector is failing so we are averaging less than 3 years of life from propane/CO detectors. We switched our smoke detector to smoke/CO because of the poor life for propane/CO detectors.

Our first propane/CO detector started alarming at 2 AM like yours and I was inspired by necessity (sever sleep disruption) to immediately pull the fuse.

If there is nothing broken, then it's not an RV (also true for a house).

"If there is nothing broken, then it's not an RV."
Thanks!! I'm adding that to my list of indelible quotes.

Wallowa said:
Old lame me finally saw the fuse for the propane/gas alarm in my '16 Hawk fuse panel...the alarm that was always going off, mostly around 0200 hrs...

So out came the fuse...my question: Forget about the danger of not having an alarm; are there any other problems generated by taking that fuse out?

Thanks...Phil
Did you blow out the unit with air? I would try that and then replace it.

Just got my brand spanking new Grandby. I'm going to do the same to it as I have done to other campers/RV's I have owned with the CO detector.

Cut the wire on the back side of it.

Those things have been going off for years with dust, dog farts, cooking, sweeping the floor, brushing your teeth too close to the thing, wife using hair spray and looking at them the wrong way.

Also running the battery down while in storage.

I'm kinda like you Phil. . . . only I'm using a pair of wire cutters.

Blowing the dust and spider out of the one in our Class A solved the problem. BTW: there is not ONE thing broken in our RV.

But, there are MANY things broken, though. Driving it anyways.

IMO the chances are greater of me having a heart attack from the thing going off at dark o'thirty than from dying from a propane leak.

ntsqd said:
Was it Harley's or English Sports Cars that taught you that?
Well, I was originally going to say aircraft hydraulic systems and some of the ancient semi trucks I drove in college, but after seeing Mr. 3Pin’s answer, I have to add that one to my list.

Mine has intermittently gone off since the camper was new (2015), and last year I replaced it with an identical new one. It still goes off! It seems to happen most often when the batteries are starting to charge up in the morning when the sun is out. I think it’s out gassing from my dual 6v agm batteries. The battery cabinet is not vented, and the alarm is mounted to the same cabinet.

Back
Top Bottom