Updated my maps

craig333

Riley's Human
Needed to add to my collection and also just as importantly, it was past due to get some more recent maps.

Gone are my 1997 Eldorado NF maps. My 1995 Tahoe maps. My 2001 Plumas NF maps. My 1994 Toiyabe (Carson RD) map. Added Sierra NF (why didn't I have that one already). Some of my 2008 maps have 2012 versions but I opted not to update those at this time. Spent enough already. Cost also made me decide not to carry separate copies in the truck and the Jeep anymore. If the Jeep is along so is the truck and I'll just move the map case as needed. I'm tempted to save the old maps for historical reasons but most likely they'd just taking up space and never get used.

National Forest maps are my go to maps. Not that I don't like other maps, I do and I firmly believe you can't have too many maps but I'll add others as I can. These are the backbone of my collection. My collection of old topos I'll still save though.

Okay, time to go out and 303 the camper.

P.S. I've been looking for another map case like the one I have. Tons of very nice stuff if you want to display a single map but I've gone crazy looking for another one, till now. Found it on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/High-Road-Auto-Case-Organizer/dp/B000209YTG/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1407689857&sr=8-5&keywords=map+cases

Folds up like this.
http://s279.photobucket.com/user/craig195/media/IMAG0398_zpscb7a24bd.jpg.html]b
img_102457_0_1e781d3fbde8e2bc95e3044d6817d9b0.jpg
[/Ub
Btw, I'm able to cram 16 maps in there.

Older maps have been extremely helpful in road closure cases where the gumberment claims there never was a real road there. There's a road in the Calicos that I drive every time I'm out there & can just to keep tracks on it. I'm sure that the BLM would love to mark it closed.

I like that case -- looks handy for that standard size of folding maps...maybe I need to get one.
I currently carry my maps in something bigger, kinda like a soft-sided briefcase, because I also use it to carry guidebooks.
(UPDATE: I ordered one! :))

RE Updating maps: I don't buy new USFS maps on a regular basis...but when I happen to notice that there's a new edition of a Forest that I visit regularly I get excited. :p And I buy it!

I regularly (every couple of years) buy a new edition of the Michelin North America Road Atlas, Spiral-bound -- my go-to road atlas, as I noted and praised back in 2011. My opinion of this atlas hasn't changed.
Last year on a visit to my mom, when I discovered she didn't have a USA road atlas I gave her mine out of my car -- and so justified buying a new edition for myself! :) (Mom doesn't drive anywhere anymore, but with the atlas she can look up places I go.)

I update my Benchmark State Atlases semi-regularly, at least for OR, NV & CA -- I keep these 3 states in my truck all the time. When I buy a new edition, the older edition of these 3 states then moves to live on the back seat of my car. (where I also keep a second copy of the Michelin atlas)

I agree you can't have enough maps. I don't up date mine that often but find that the older versions still are valuable.
I carry my map collection in an old burlap zipper rice bag,got it years ago used the rice and thought wow this is to good of a bag to get rid of.
I also keep the campground maps you get when you check into one. Plus the leaflets of the parks.
It all comes in handy at some time.
I have a 1976 Sunset western campground book that still has some value. Although all the campgrounds have changed costs,but the locations and directions are still the same.
Frank

I have sent some old maps (1960s and earlier) to the Cal4wheel land use guys just in case they might find it useful. It can be interesting to see where the road used to be. I thought I was going crazy a couple years back in the Plumas NF. You cross the creek and the road goes left and right. Well the right turn was gone. The road went downhill and it took a bit of forensic walking but I found bits and pieces and then it dawned on me, it had been washed out in a flood and never rebuilt.

For the most part though, I need to know what roads I can still (legally) drive and the newer maps help there.

Btw Mark, I bought the Benchmark Atlas after the first time you mentioned it. Maybe I'll have to get the Michelin one too.

You can never have enough maps :love: ! Two of my favorite addresses are: Public Lands.org and the us fs map store(USFS.gov.maps). You can call or get on the web on any fs regional office or blm state office and get lot's of local state stuff and detailed topos are always available on the USGS website or nearest BLM office. Map planning is one of the best parts of wondering the west :D !

Smoke

craig333 said:
...Btw Mark, I bought the Benchmark Atlas after the first time you mentioned it. Maybe I'll have to get the Michelin one too.
Benchmark:
Benchmark generally represents road-quality (e.g., paved vs gravel vs 4x4) more accurately than the Delorme Gazeteer (at least, it used to be that way -- haven't looked at a Gazeteer in years).
AND: Benchmark has cool/interesting/odd features marked here and there on the maps: Such as "Stolpa rescue spot" and "geographic center" in Nevada and various "missile silo" locations listed across Montana. Probably many more similar oddities in the maps, if I looked.

Michelin North America:
My original post lists why I think it's best. If those qualities sound good to you, you won't be sorry.
I like having a full North America atlas with me wherever I go, even if the Benchmark (or USFS or topo maps) gives more detail for the areas they cover. Like, when I was in Montana recently and I started thinking about a trip to visit a friend in Georgia, I could look at the Georgia pages in the Michelin and plan/explore Georgia. (I had no Internet at that point, so couldn't explore online)
Just a nice compact no-batteries-requred resource to have handy.

For Cal. I have both the Delorme north and south,and the Benchmark. I like both but the Delorme is a bigger scale.
Maps are cool.
I have a 1939 World Atlas and it's cool looking through it at what used to be.
Frank

Benchmark:

AND: Benchmark has cool/interesting/odd features marked here and there on the maps: Such as "Stolpa rescue spot" and "geographic center" in Nevada and various "missile silo" locations listed across Montana. Probably many more similar oddities in the maps, if I looked.

Just a nice compact no-batteries-requred resource to have handy.
Preaching to the choir here, Map Bretheren. Maps are our friends. While I like and use digital maps of many types, for "big picture" planning/daydreaming, I rely on Benchmarks (where available) and DeLormes where Benchmark lacks coverage.

Mark: Keep looking for "funnies" on your Benchmarks. I've found a few which must have gotten by the editors, like words on a trail saying "Mike go boom-boom", which I envision marks a place where a field-checker dropped his bike, or some such. And I felt pretty darned foolish when I'd studied and studied the saga of the Stolpas in an earnest attempt to locate it, and one day to visit it. With printed text including route details beside me, I laid out my new NV Benchmark and followed 8A out from Vya, took the "wrong turn" to the south, followed it to the upper Hell Creek drainage, and right there and then first saw "Stolpa Rescue Site" printed on the dang map.

I have, and I very much treasure, my grandfather's globe and its stand, a gift from his employees in the late 1920s. Lots of changes on the global maps since then. With him on my mother's side, and a line of civil engineers and land surveyors on my father's side, a love of maps is in my DNA.

Foy

Smokecreek1 said:
<<stuff clipped>> Map planning is one of the best parts of wondering the west :D !

Smoke
"And let us buy for the days of spring,
While yet the north winds blow!
For half the joy of the trip, my boy,
Is getting your traps to go."

A. B. Paine, The Tent Dwellers

Wandering Sagebrush said:
"And let us buy for the days of spring,
While yet the north winds blow!
For half the joy of the trip, my boy,
Is getting your traps to go."

A. B. Paine, The Tent Dwellers
2Xplus-never read that one before thanks!

Smoke

Smoke,

It's an interesting read. A story about 2 east coast dandies taking a canoe trip in Nova Scotia.

Pain was a Lincoln biographer. BTW, you have to go to rare/used book dealers to find a copy. Mine is from 1921.

Wandering Sasquatch...

I have an AOPA Chart bag which I use for all my maps. It is getting full! Just bought another map on a recent trip.
For atlas' I use Benchmark. Last spring I was on a trip and a friend had the Delorme. It looked nice so I took a chance. While perusing Death Valley I noticed two errors of roads which I am familiar with. The Delorme went back to Amazon.

ski3pin said:
Mr. BC, how did you get our maps? :D
Just what happened to be on top of the debris on my coffee table, and looked like worthy models for the shoot. ;)

How'd you get yours before I got mine? I sense a conspiracy here! Also reminds me I need to get more NV and OR maps :)

Back
Top Bottom