Use full width of Pirelli webbing or trim?

bigskymck

Howdy. Newbie here looking for advice. I could not find an answer in a search of previous posts. I need to replace the Pirelli webbing on my early 70s (I think) 8 foot cabover. The original owner trimmed the 2-inch wide webbing to 1.5 inches, with 1 inch acting as the seal on the exterior gaps. I haven't dug into the interior webbing yet. Should I just install the full 2-inch webbing, with 1.5 inches acting as seal? Can't tell how well the current size webbing performed. It's too old and curled. But I wonder if the 2 inch seal will catch and bind or provide a better seal.
Also, unrelated question. I have two bronze hydraulic rods in the front, with steel pistons, and two aluminum rods in the back, all with od of 1 inch. Can anyone explain the disparity, and will it cause any issues lifting and lowering evenly? I replaced the o rings in all. They were beefier in the aluminum pistons.
Finally, just out of curiosity, can one drill new holes in the front pistons (they only have one now) to better adjust the latching of the cabover sides?
Thanks for any and all wisdom.
Bill

Welcome, welcome

Install the pirelli full width pushed out to the inside of the top section...then trim the excess and replace the cap

It sounds like you have two old rods and two newer rods..(larger 1" rods).

when you insert the pins and release the pressure the latching should fall into range.....I'd check the level of the upper half first then maybe adjust the latching mechanism for the cabover. typically they are just inexpensive slide bolts

different manufacturing could very well have placed the holes in different locations for different years. I'm finding different dimensions on older campers when salvaging parts. looks can be deceiving.

if the newer pistons aren't matched to your rig you can drill a hole in the upper rod but make sure you remove the rod to do any drilling. Any drill cuttings could get into the sleeve and cause you a heck of a problem with the o-ring.

Hi, Rusty. Thanks for the advice. I'll take it. I've read many of your past posts, and they are always informative and helpful. Us newbies appreciate your time.
So, let me impose by asking one more question. I was investigating why my right front comes up unevenly, thinking I would clean and lube the tracks. But looking up from below, I see screw heads protruding from the track attached to the top portion of the camper. I have to get to those screws, probably treat the holes with epoxy and insert new screws. But how do I get to those outside tracks? Jack as far as possible, then have my strong son-in-low lift off the top off the tracks and insert 2x4s across the camper, both front and rear. Not sure how we can do that without racking the slides while attempting to refit the top. Any suggestions? I suspect the screws are probably loose in all of the tracks.
Thanks, Rusty or whoever else might have a suggestion.

you'll have to raise the top up quite a ways to clear enough to access the screws for the top guides....remove all 4 ram top bolts and lift up as straight as you can as not to damage the guides...there are 2 screws holding a retainer cap on top of the lower half guide.....depending on which screw is loose you'll need to pass that point to access it...fun and games...

at this point we all know which screw is loose ;)

while you have it up..bleed all the air out of all the cylinders...that is sometimes the cause for uneven rise and fall, some have installed valves at the cylinder bottoms on the older campers to regulate flow....they are now installed on newer campers

and...while you have it up....replace the o-rings....you'll get to it about every 5 years or so...while you have all 4 rams disconnected...no time like the present

Can someone post a pic of what freshly installed webbing is supposed to look like? Mine has all but completely rotted away.

dakeddie said:
Can someone post a pic of what freshly installed webbing is supposed to look like? Mine has all but completely rotted away.
Hi. A photo of installed webbing would be a help to me too. Has there been one posted yet? (P.S. Thanks. I'm brand new here. This is my first post.)

Back
Top Bottom