Use sealant when installing sink?

Living The Dream

hi team.

Quick question I was hoping someone might have the answer for. When installing the sink and faucet do I just bolt the metal pieces to the counter, or should I used some sort of sealant under and/or around the metal lips? I have that butyl tape from the windows. What has worked or not worked for others in the past?

Many thanks - Tim

You will probably get many different answers.. personally, I would not use anything as it make it difficult to remove if you have need to.. IF you felt the need to use something I would use a little bit of the butyl tape and call it good..

I used a bead of clear caulk after the sink was set in place. Same with the faucet. That's how it's done in kitchens i believe.

I used nothing. If you want to do the job like a plumber use plumbers putty never silicone.

From a plumbing site.
"Why Use Plumber's Putty. ... Plumbers use it because it remains soft for a long time and maintains a watertight seal, but unlike silicone and other types of caulk, plumber's putty is not an adhesive, so a fixture or drain part sealed with putty remains easy to remove if you ever need to replace it."

If the counter constructed of a wood base then seal the cut out with epoxy to prevent water intrusion. Whether to use any other sealant is optional but a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom