Using Receiver Hitch As A Lifting Point With A High Lift Jack

ntsqd said:
I did make that plate and I had thot of making a short run of them way back when, but when I worked out the pricing I couldn't make it worthwhile. In the desert racing community there is/was someone making a similar skid plate for a specific jack (I *think* an HF jack). AHA! http://dmzfab.com/product/jack-skid-plate-for-harbor-freight-2-ton-racing-jack/ It's apparently quite the thing these days, got a lot of hits from searching "floor jack skid plate".

In most receiver hitches the tongue weight is a torsional load. I *think* that it's safe to assume that the rotational direction of the torsion is not significant to the design. Given that, you can then assume that max tongue weight is also the max lifting weight.

Saw that plate and thanks...want to find the specs for the HF 2 ton [lifting height and jack height]...but will probably get them..

Appreciate all the time and input for folks on this forum....many ideas and approaches that I missed! Even a lot of off-road bottle jack applications seem to be available...

Stay safe out there..

Phil

Ah! Now an off-road bottle jack that was shown to me has two concentric rams that telescope! They're not easy to find as they are made in Italy for Land Rover and as far as I know they aren't sold anywhere. Any found in our travels thru the local pic-n-pull yonke go home with us.

Machinebuilder said:
That would be interesting with some of SafeJack products

I may be upgrading my bottle jack.

Thinking about it for sure...I realize that a bottle jack has less stability under load than a floor jack...

What size say ye? 3 or 4 ton? I do like the idea of a carrying case; don't like that it is made in China, but so is 95% of everything anymore.

Phil

Just in time for this thread I managed to bury our Kubota 4 WD tractor the other day working along our riverfront.

I was reminded of Murphy's third corollary which states "It better to engage brain prior to getting your tractor stuck."

It was a good reminder that there is seldom one tool that will solve getting unstuck....rather a combination of local resources and taking it little by little while all involved keep calm.

I sure never want to bury our 3/4 ton Chevy with Hawk...but realized the best response will be keeping calm, taking ones time and not making things worse.

David Graves

Wallowa said:
Thinking about it for sure...I realize that a bottle jack has less stability under load than a floor jack...

What size say ye? 3 or 4 ton? I do like the idea of a carrying case; don't like that it is made in China, but so is 95% of everything anymore.

Phil
Are you asking about that double ram I showed above? The safejack is a 6 ton. That aussie guy talks about 8 ton units for off roading.

Vic Harder said:
Are you asking about that double ram I showed above? The safejack is a 6 ton. That aussie guy talks about 8 ton units for off roading.
Ozzie guy? Missed that. The Safe Jack is $$$; but if the product is superior to others then perhaps cost vs benefit may be there.

Don't understand why an 8 ton jack? almost 3:1 safety factor? Still looking and listening!

Phil

Wallowa said:
Ozzie guy? Missed that. The Safe Jack is $$$; but if the product is superior to others then perhaps cost vs benefit may be there.

Don't understand why an 8 ton jack? almost 3:1 safety factor? Still looking and listening!

Phil

Thanks Vic...my learning curve seems flat! Ronny is good...I watched his two videos on recovery gear...learned a hell of a lot..

8 ton jack for higher lift...never crossed my mind...nor using the base plate from my HLJ for a bottle jack...nor perhaps needing two bottle jacks...or OEM and 8 ton BJ.

Thanks for directing me to his videos...appreciated.

Phil

I have a Hi Lift and an attachment bracket for it on my Hitchgate. Having said that, my Hi Lift lives 99.9% of its, life in the garage. (though the handle makes the best breaker bar)
I carry an 8-ton bottle jack from Canadian Tire in the truck, along with a lightweight aluminum Torin Big Red 3-ton jackstand.

Ive had to use the bottle jack only once on our travels, and between it, the jackstand and a few leveling blocks it all worked fine. 20200327_153834.jpg

Vic Harder said:
That doesn't look like fun... glad you were safe. Did you find you needed 2 bottle jacks?
No, I took the oem bottle jack out. I only carried the one. It was all thanks to a Toyota tech who overtightened a previously installed cv boot clamp which then broke off and I started leaking grease everywhere. We were able to temporarily fix it, fill it with grease and limp into the Toyota dealer in Whitehorse where they got me sorted out.

trikebubble said:
No, I took the oem bottle jack out. I only carried the one.
Trike, one tip with a replacement is to check that it will still fit into the normal lifting position if you have a fully flat tire. ie that the min retracted height of your 8 ton jack is not greater than the bottom of a wheel rim to say, the bottom of the axle tube or wherever the usual lift point is.

Not a deal breaker per se as there are always workarounds, just good to know going in.

Ironically, times like this a hi lift can be useful ... :sneaky:

gallery_351_1392_33862.jpg

We have a shorty 12K pound bottle jack left over from our days with the GMC motorhome....I think it is only about 8" tall closed.

Of course it will only lift about 4 more inches but that is why God created rocks.

All good advice....I guess one could measure the bottom of the wheel rim to point on the frame or axle where the jack would be placed
[ = max height allowed for the jack fully retracted] and then measure the ground to that same frame or axle lift point with the tire fully inflated [+ a couple of inches wiggle room] for the total lift needed from the jack ...both measured with vehicle fully loaded..

If possible a shovel could help [unless on rock] to get the jack in place... or a base plate/rock [not a good idea]/leveling pad/MaxTrax could be used to get the necessary lift if there was room under the jack with it in the down position under the lifting point.

Not like my MC that I can just prop it up on the side stand or lay it on it's side to remove a wheel... :D

Phil

Wallowa said:
All good advice....I guess one could measure the bottom of the wheel rim to point on the frame or axle where the jack would be placed
[ = max height allowed for the jack fully retracted] and then measure the ground to that same frame or axle lift point with the tire fully inflated [+ a couple of inches wiggle room] for the total lift needed from the jack ...both measured with vehicle fully loaded..

Phil
Or, assuming you have access to an air compressor, you could just let the air out of a tire and physically check to see if your jack - with your base plate - will fit where it needs to go.

Back
Top Bottom