Vancouver Island West Coast?

davinski

I've been to Vancouver island a few times. Very nice in the summer. I know a lot of friends who go in the winter to watch the big waves. No one I know has actually camped there in the winter.....

So, has anyone actually been there or the west coast of Washington in the winter to watch the waves? Might be worth a long weekend. I would love to watch the winter waves and take some photos.....

Thanks for your input..

Dave in Seattle

West coast....

Hi Dave,
I was just up visiting my sons in Bremerton and Port Townsend. Had a great time and the weather was superb until the last day I was there and then it did the cloud and drizzle thing which reminded me of why I moved to the southwest. (I think I have PTSD from spending nearly half my lifetime in wet, gray cool or cold climates!) :( We actually camped at Solduc Hot Springs this trip and it was sunny!

Anyway to your question....for the many years I was in Alaska we worked seasonally and had the winters off. Every so often we would take the ferry or drive down and spend some time driving around, camping and visiting family and friends. So...my main experience camping in your area was in the winter....I have been several times around the Olympic Peninsula in the winter and up and down the WA/OR coast doing the same as well as up and down the Cassiar and Alcan in the winter, camping out the entire way. The northern stuff was easy since in those days there were enough roadhouses along the way that would let a guy plug in to their self-generated AC for a heater in the van. The more southern stuff was fine if you didn't mind the gray and rain.
I think that a secret that coastal folks don't let on about is that even in the middle of winter there are days when the sun comes out or at least breaks through and it is absolutely exquisite out there. Long story to say, go for it....since you obviously, like my sons, don't mind living in that climate, you won't mind camping in it and the west side of Vancouver is awesome.
Enjoy and let us know how that rear awning works out. If you can get some, post some pics also.
Brian

Hi Brian,

I am making my first trip to vancouver island, leaving in a week and a half. Was thinking of going ot Nuchatlitz on the west coast for some sea kayaking but it's prooving hard to get too. Other options are Bamfield or the Robson Bight whale preserve. No FWC yet so we are leaving the truck at home and using the Prius for the mileage since we are starting in Placerville CA. Any recommendations for beautifull camping, hiking, backpacking or sea kayaking spots on the island?

Thanks,

Rich

Finding a camping spot on the west coast of vancouver island can be tough. The national park campground is always full. There are some private ones like in Ucluelet....

You could drive down some logging roads and will find some nice little places to call camp but beware, a lot of roads still have big logging trucks that use them and they tend to drive very fast.

I spent a few nights at Mussels beach in the forest just outside of Ucluelet. search the internet and you will find it. Private, but on the water. Has put in for small boats. They have shower water, but bring your own drinking water. Rather primitive, but nicely remote.

We did see a few bears on the forest roads. Do be careful. I would like to explore much more of the island, but it takes a lot of time and it seems the locals don't like to talk much about their favorite spots......

Good luck.

Dave in seattle

Some of the popular kayaking spots include Broken Islands near Ucluelet and the islands off Tofino - up as far as Hot Springs Cove. the beaches on Flores and a few of the other islands are spectacular. Check the Wild Side Trail on Flores Island, too (kayak there and then hike!). Be sure to check with the Ahousat band in Maaqtusiis if you visit their lands. Same area has the start/end of West Coast Trail and you can do day hikes to the lighthouse without pre registering. Between Sooke and Port Renfrew you will find the Juan de Fuca Trail. A remote/quiet area to kayak is Rugged Point. It is a Provincial Marine Park with no ammenities. The scenery in the area is lovely. Where ever you kayak about the island, beware of afternoon winds and keep a sharp eye for landing places. Many areas have kilometers (miles) of cliffs and sharp rocks.
We don't camp as much on the island as we used to because it can get very crowded in the summer.

Back
Top Bottom