Vermont! (we moved)

Occidental

Trail Master
It may be a bit of a stretch to post this as a trip report, but being as we truck camped our way across the country as we moved from Oregon to Vermont I'm going to count it.

Yep, we decided on short notice to move to Vermont. So our upcoming wanderings will be a bit further east.

It's a short report, as it was mainly driving interstates. More to come in future posts as the colors change!

Trip report is here: https://www.occidentalist.org/off-to-vermont/

Yes, we were thinking about a change for a while. Getting out of the big city that Bend has become and slowing down a bit. This came with a job, place to live and a lifestyle change all in one so we did it.

I'm jealous!

I see your avatar says you're in Jay. We loved our drive through that area in the Fall of 2019. We had wandered north up VT 100 from the Green Mountains of southern Vermont because our map showed it as a dotted route-- a scenic drive. We were bound for Maine but the drive north up 100 was so nice we took it almost to the Canadian border before turning east. We then took 105 East into New Hampshire and on to Maine.

Despite the rural area, I see you have some interesting choices-- a little over an hour west to Lake Champlain, two hours northwest to Montreal and three hours east to one of my favorite areas of Maine.

And I see your local ski resort (Jay Peak) gets the most and best-quality snow in the East.

Nice!

Must say I am jealous. The green, the water.

Flagstaff, like Bend, has grown and is continuing to grow. Second homes and vacation rentals abound. Large apartment complexes being built. It has also become much hotter in the last decade and the winters are milder with less snow. I used to live in Saranac in far upstate NY, a.k.a. lower Quebec, and still miss it. We have been discussing a move to the northeast/New England after our son finishes college but are concerned about the lack of public lands there.

Old Crow said:
I'm jealous!

I see your avatar says you're in Jay. We loved our drive through that area in the Fall of 2019. We had wandered north up VT 100 from the Green Mountains of southern Vermont because our map showed it as a dotted route-- a scenic drive. We were bound for Maine but the drive north up 100 was so nice we took it almost to the Canadian border before turning east. We then took 105 East into New Hampshire and on to Maine.

Despite the rural area, I see you have some interesting choices-- a little over an hour west to Lake Champlain, two hours northwest to Montreal and three hours east to one of my favorite areas of Maine.

And I see your local ski resort (Jay Peak) gets the most and best-quality snow in the East.

Nice!
Thanks Old Crow - yes, lots of scenic drives to take for sure. We're looking forward to getting the boat out on Champlain and other lakes yet this fall. And apparently the "Jay Cloud" does drop some impressive snow - we'll see.

OutToLunch said:
Must say I am jealous. The green, the water.

Flagstaff, like Bend, has grown and is continuing to grow. Second homes and vacation rentals abound. Large apartment complexes being built. It has also become much hotter in the last decade and the winters are milder with less snow. I used to live in Saranac in far upstate NY, a.k.a. lower Quebec, and still miss it. We have been discussing a move to the northeast/New England after our son finishes college but are concerned about the lack of public lands there.
Yes, on the public lands, there is the Green Mountain National Forest and a lot of state forests, but I'm not so confident on the dispersed camping opportunities. Those are a favorite and probably not a lot to go around, but we'll have fun looking.

Mighty Dodge Ram said:
Congrats and good luck on the big move. Now that you’re heading from “west” to “east” will you be changing your site name?
Nope, our roots are in the west, and we'll be back, I'm sticking with the same name. This, (like everything, I suppose) is temporary.

Wow, just wow! Congrats on your move and best of luck and success with your new ventures! We look forward to glimpses of Vermont and that wonderful part of our country.

Here is a link to Woodshed Lodge

Vermont is a great state. My aunt and (deceased) uncle have a place in Weybridge, outside Middlebury.
We've been back a few times and love it.

Best wishes to your eastern relocation, Mr. Occidental! :ninja:

Enjoy your new neighborhood. i have to admit, i was a little disappointed at first, but what the heck. i live in oregon, and was able to glean some trip ideas from you - which was great.
keep up the trip reports !

Thanks all. And goinoregon, well, there's a few years worth of trip ideas on the website. When you work through the ones that look good we may just be back creating more by then!

Good luck with the move...sounds more like travels.....be here, be there, be somewhere else.

I can understand wanting to leave BENT for a few decades.........

But it does get cold in the green mountain state.....that where we earned Toyota truck thermometers do register minus numbers.

David Graves

"But it does get cold in the green mountain state.....that where we earned Toyota truck thermometers do register minus numbers."

Believe it or not, we learned that in California. Bridgeport. Something like 9 below around 10 AM as we were headed north from a DVNP trip. I took a picture of the dashboard. Will go look for that.

Welcome to the eat coast! Vermont is a glorious state... You will love the slow paced charm. A Lot to discover in all the little 'shires'. If you have any questions ... we live in Western Mass just on the border with Vermont. Most folks in the Berkshires feel more Vermonter than Eastener Mass. PM me with any questions about things and enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom