Advanced Member
Install photos on a '18 Hawk FD

gallery_8456_1242_969062.jpg

gallery_8456_1242_308409.jpg

gallery_8456_1242_777358.jpg

gallery_8456_1242_2396394.jpg

gallery_8456_1242_724502.jpg

gallery_8456_1242_1879015.jpg

Nice! Did you move your batteries or is that where they are in the 2018 Hawk?

RajaZoie said:
Nice! Did you move your batteries or is that where they are in the 2018 Hawk?
That is where they are located in a 2018 Hawk FD.

Nice work.

Are those holes in the back of the battery box vents to the outside? Its interesting to see the changes to the newer campers.

Lineman said:
Nice work.

Are those holes in the back of the battery box vents to the outside? Its interesting to see the changes to the newer campers.
Yes, two vents to the exterior. The rest of the compartment is sealed to the camper using silicone.

GD...thanks for the photos...will assist me soon for my install...

Question: on your tag wire, what size lug is required for the shunt connection (fr. the battery)? what gauge wire did you use? thanks...

Brad

scappoosebrad said:
GD...thanks for the photos...will assist me soon for my install...

Question: on your tag wire, what size lug is required for the shunt connection (fr. the battery)? what gauge wire did you use? thanks...

Brad
Brad, I used 4 AWG wires to connect my two 12V batteries in parallel (5/16" lugs), and to connect my shunt to the battery (3/8" lugs). This is what I used for the shunt-to-battery connection and another similar set for the battery-to-battery connection.

Thanks GD...Already have my 2 6V AGMs connected...just looking for the specific lug requirements for the pigtail going from the batt(-) to the Victron shunt so I can include the pigtail with my Victron monitor order...

looking at a 12" 4 AWG with a 5/16" lug for my battery and a 3/8" lug to the shunt...

Shunt w/ 3/8" lug ------------------------ 4AGM wire ------------------------- 5/16" lug to Battery (-)

will need one wire with the above different sized lugs... found this other Amazon site from Windy Nation that include different sized lugs...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072MWGDMZ/ref=s9_dcacsd_dcoop_bw_c_x_4_w?th=1

scappoosebrad said:
Thanks GD...Already have my 2 6V AGMs connected...just looking for the specific lug requirements for the pigtail going from the batt(-) to the Victron shunt so I can include the pigtail with my Victron monitor order...

looking at a 12" 4 AWG with a 5/16" lug for my battery and a 3/8" lug to the shunt...

Shunt w/ 3/8" lug ------------------------ 4AGM wire ------------------------- 5/16" lug to Battery (-)

will need one wire with the above different sized lugs... found this other Amazon site from Windy Nation that include different sized lugs...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072MWGDMZ/ref=s9_dcacsd_dcoop_bw_c_x_4_w?th=1
Yep, a 3/8” at the shunt and a 5/16” at the battery should do it.

thanks guys for the info and vendor references... interesting greg's marine quote same price(incl shipping) as Amazon price...now I am ready to order...hooray!

I have consistently found PKYS (Peter Kennedy Yacht Services) have the best prices for Victron and Victron accessories.

All my purchases have been over $100 and shipping was free. Customer service has been excellent.

Just type PKYS into google

GD,
Got my Victron 700... don't do this very often, so need to ask some "simple carpentry" questions about how best to cut the hole in the cabinet for the meter...

what size hole cutter did you use? most have mentioned 2" (for the 52mm diameter of the meter)... how did you enlarge the extra 1/4" that is needed?...easiest way to accomplish?

GD...question answered... ha ha... shopped for a hole cutter and found that 21/8 is a "standard" size often used for door knobs...I should be "good to go"... the monitor should fit like a glove.

Appreciate your photos--will duplicate your approach especially using tape over the "hole area" and covering any areas to minimize clean up... my install is in a Fleet w/ standard bench bed...my batts in their own cavity in the frontside of the camper...need to drill a hole to thread wires to/from shunt to be mounted in an adjoining cavity...

It appears each model and make has their own unique design for battery/electronic placement...and how/where to add components like the Victron... again your photos most helpful for this carpentry and electronic newbie...

Brad

Back
Top Bottom