viewing a nearby four wheel camper

BaltoCharlie

Hi folks: I am new to the list and to see my intro go to Clynn newbie post about his Eagle. I about 7 or 8 posts down. Since I now have a truck(Toyota 4x4) I am in the market for a camper. Are any members near Baltimore so I can view a camper to get a feel for it. I've seen the website and now want to see one in real time. What about nearby dealers?? Thanks Charlie

Really liked your photos of both inside and out of your FWC. Don't own a Toyo but looks like a very compatible combo. Off road, good mileage, plus camping ability. That's what FWC are all about. Now you just got to find the time to get out there!...

I'd say come on over, but I think baltimore to bozeman would be a bit of a drive, haha.

I'm sure that pictures won't help too much, but here's a post I made over on one of the forums I moderate at:

http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=195.0

Feel free to ask any Q's you may have, here or there.

Oly: Nicest pics I've seen of the camper. I see that they come w/ 2 beds. I really only need 1 double bed and a place to sit, cook and eat. What options do I have? Which is the bigger bed? Did you buy the "shell" and installed everything? Thanks Charlie

Charlie,
Welcome to the forum and good luck finding a camper! Sorry, can't help you on your location.

Oly has an Eagle shell with the heater and sofa options (plus a couple others). All the campers have the above cab bed. On the smaller campers (Eagle, Ranger2, Fleet), the width is about 69 inches and that bed is designed to sleep in length wise. With the sofa, you have a nice place to sit, storage underneath and an extra place for a friend to sleep. Plus a place for you to stretch out, without raising the top, while on the road.

With your truck, you should pay attention to the weight of the camper vs/ thegvwr of your truck. The shell models are lighter (until you start building in cabinets, etc). And if you go with a standard model with the cabinets remember that every option adds weight as well.

BTW - I ended up driving up to Idaho, from Denver, to get my 2000 FCW Ranger. FWIW - It is a long bed model that fits on my truck with the tailgate down.

Good luck with your search,
Jim

Attachments

• ranger01.jpg
    ranger01.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 779
  • ranger02.jpg
    ranger02.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 803
  • 20070217_sm3.jpg
    20070217_sm3.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 797
Nice looking rig! Are the newer models called "Ranger2"? I had been looking for a mid-80's Ranger but they don't seem to last long when they are up for sale. Guess I'll just keep looking...:D

Ben or Marty may be able to chime in on this one. The Ranger is a long bed mini/mid sized camper. The Ranger 2 and Fleet (I think) were older versions of what is now the Eagle. I have seen pictures of them when I was searching for mine.

old models

You are right about the Ranger 2 being an older Eagle. The Fleet model though was a try at one camper fitting all trucks and it really is a bit big for a small truck. While it will fit the bed of the truck the top side of the camper is full size such as a Hawk and usually is a bit much for the smaller trucks to carry. The Fleet model was a very short lived model in FWC history.

I had the Fleet model on my 1983 Toyota long bed for a number of years. It was made in 1982. Fit on my truck ok but, it sure did hang out over the sides far. So much so I would almost knock myself out when ever I was bending over to do things on the truck sides or rear tires. I sure don't miss that. Even my friend would hang flagging down the side so he would not ring his bell. I like our Ranger!

fleet

That was the big problem on the small trucks. Too much weight out over the rails. Part of the reason the Fleet did not survive.

Oly: Nicest pics I've seen of the camper. I see that they come w/ 2 beds. I really only need 1 double bed and a place to sit, cook and eat. What options do I have? Which is the bigger bed? Did you buy the "shell" and installed everything? Thanks Charlie

Jimjxsn nailed it down, that's pretty much everything I have on the camper.

Here is a few pictures I dug up of the old Fleet model I had. Notice how much wider it is.

Attachments

• arodym brick3a.jpg
    arodym brick3a.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 530
  • truck side1a.jpg
    truck side1a.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 548
  • OPHIR11.JPG
    OPHIR11.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 525
Charlie,

With your truck, you should pay attention to the weight of the camper vs/ thegvwr of your truck. The shell models are lighter (until you start building in cabinets, etc). And if you go with a standard model with the cabinets remember that every option adds weight as well.

Jim

Thanks Jim nice rig. I have the 2.4L engine. I wondering if I should stick w/ a shell. Keep it light and simple...and of course cheap. Charlie

Here is a few pictures I dug up of the old Fleet model I had. Notice how much wider it is.

That is really wide. Looks like it still works fine though. Charlie

How did you like the fleet model

Hi PVS Toy,

Nice pictures of the fleet model. There is a 1984 fleet for sale in Fresno that looks like it is in good shape. For the price I would probably treet it as a shell and gut it and rebuild the inerds. Did you like yours? I will be putting it on a T-100 which is wider so it might not hang over quite so far? Any issues I should consider in terms of wiring or older frames etc... Anything you could tell me would be helpfull. I really want an eagle or a hawk but for the money I am finding it hard to get this camper out of my head. It's only $850.

Thanks,

Rich

Hi PVS Toy,

Nice pictures of the fleet model. There is a 1984 fleet for sale in Fresno that looks like it is in good shape. For the price I would probably treet it as a shell and gut it and rebuild the inerds. Did you like yours? I will be putting it on a T-100 which is wider so it might not hang over quite so far? Any issues I should consider in terms of wiring or older frames etc... Anything you could tell me would be helpfull. I really want an eagle or a hawk but for the money I am finding it hard to get this camper out of my head. It's only $850.

Thanks,

Rich

Rich,
That looks like a nice camper for the money if it is in good condition. Ben says that it is 78" wide. I bet your width at the wheelwells is about that on the T-100. Remember the T-100 is wider than the mini pickups. My Tundra is 80" wide with wheel flares and the T-100 has about the same size bed.

It is definitely worth taking a look.
Good Luck,
Jim

Attachments

• fleet1.jpg
    fleet1.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 385
  • fleet2.jpg
    fleet2.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 384
Hi Rich,

Wow those pictures bring back memories even the balls on the curtains. I would look at the side rail height. I don’t know how high the T-100 is and at the moment can’t remember the height of the Fleet. The person that bought mine had a Dodge Dakota and it was tight on the sides.

Gutting it out is fine. I would spend some money for a new liner with updated anti-leak windows. That was the weak link for me having it rain and water coming in.

The upper bed is a pull out into the living area. You sleep width wise. The bed extends some over the cab. I took out the bed extension and made mine a slide out like the current models. I did add a PVC pipe for a middle support. New cushions made it a bigger bed.

It was a lot of fun for us and if you are going to gut it then you can build it up anyway you want. Look at the structure and make sure the floor and sides wood is in good shape. Also the wood over the cab.

Cost of a replacement liner

Thanks for the advice PVS toy,

Now I just have to convince my wife since this is a bit more "rustic" than she had in mind. Did you have any trouble with the old stove and furnace in yours?

Ben,

How much would a replacement liner for this thing cost?

Back
Top Bottom