Vinyl replacement

Rjensen219

Sorry to beat a old topic to death but------- As you can see, I am a newbie here but I am excited about bringing my FWC as close to perfect as I can. I have a 1989 Grandby (Thanks for identifying my year and model Stan) that I am either considering replacing the vinyl all together or merely patching the front corners that need some attention. I have both pros and cons to either project and I am hoping someone might be able to give me a little guidance.

Patching the front corners- I read there is marine adhesive I can use which is readily available but where can I find the identical or comparable fabric for the patch work? Enough to wrap both corners would be perfect since I prefer it to look as good as possible and hopefully match as best it can be matched.

Total replacement from the factory- I would truly rather leave that job to the people who do it all the time but the logistics of getting it to CA from VA makes that option not very attractive. Driving 90 hours round trip and the cost of shipping each way makes it even worse. Is there anyone in the east who offers the vinyl and installation? If anyone has a better option then please let me know.

replacing it myself- Where is the best place to get the (as close to original as possible) replacement? I would like to keep the windows and the screens if at all possible.

Attachments

• Grandby.jpg
    Grandby.jpg
    299.5 KB · Views: 185
Since you're on the 'right' coast, I'd just patch it until you can get to the 'left' coast to have the vinyl replaced. Either ATC or FWC can do that, and either could send you a small amount of material to patch with. They can also tell you what adhesive to use.

Also, If you want to make your own sideliner, that is one thing. If you want to buy a pre-made one (ATC or FWC will sell you one, they are pricey!) and just instal it, I do not think that is actaully very difficult at all. I am confident most could handle that. Many threads on here about it. It is really just two pieces of trim on top and bottom. - Tim

I had mine done at ATC and have to say that I'm not sure I'd tackle that project, but when you do, replace the push boards at the same time. Incremental cost but it's much easier when the roof is off. Also, if you need new headliner, insulation, extra fan, wiring, etc. do it then. Good luck.

Since you live near the coast you might want to find a good marine upholstery company and bring your rig to them to see if they can do the install for you.
Unless they are confidant they can fabricate the soft wall like the factory I would lean towards buying a replacement from the factory and having it installed locally.

Welcome from a fellow Virginian!

Oh, the other thing you should consider, is that you can get new vinyl that is taller than the orig. I wish I'd thought of adding 6" to mine; you would need the new push boards though.

Look on Ebay for 18 OZ Vinyl coated polyester,Thats what I used with no complaints,I think it came from "my tarp store" I bought 11 yds,I believe I have less than $100 in it..

The other thing to consider, when you have the roof off...
a) do you want to replace the headliner?
b) any new electrical
c) insulation?

Lots of things that are easy to do when the roof is off....

Hey all,

This is where I will be buying my vinyl from.

http://www.mytarp.com/vinyl-fabrics.aspx

I just got my samples in tonight. Ill place my order soon. I have a question for those that have done it before. Why did you go with the 18oz of the 22oz? I got one of each for sample and it seems like the 22oz might be a nice little extra for the winter, and still seem pliable enough. Any insights?

I checked with ATC last week on replacement cost for my mid 90's FWC and would around $2,200.00 installed with taller lift panels. Jeff said that installing the vinyl wasn't too bad a job for the DIY'er, but the lift panels were much more difficult.

cwd

Megburns,

I used 20 oz. from Sailrite.com, because that was the closest thing they had to match the 18 oz. poly coated vinyl I bought from them for the side liner. It seems fine now it's in use.

Poky

Back
Top Bottom