Vinyl Wrapping a FWC

Bombsight

I'm wanting to vinyl wrap (Chrome) a FWC smooth sided fiberglass Hawk (w/Silver Spur interior).

Anyone have any experience in FWC's being wrapped ..... or even seen one wrapped?

Experinences and thoughts appreciated.

Bombsight said:
I'm wanting to vinyl wrap (Chrome) a FWC smooth sided fiberglass Hawk (w/Silver Spur interior).

Anyone have any experience in FWC's being wrapped ..... or even seen one wrapped?

Experinences and thoughts appreciated.
We're thinking of doing a wrap as well. Or a decal design that spreads from truck side panels up onto camper. We should post any examples we find here.

jesmor3 said:
We should post any examples we find here.
I was hoping for a flood of photos. ha

What do you guys think a fully chrome wrapped Hawk would look like on this exact rig?

I can handle the honesty :)

Attachments

• 12080290_10204159427220625_883600292528990073_o.jpg
    12080290_10204159427220625_883600292528990073_o.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 174
Honesty. Hmm, looks like you'd have a bling but functional camper on a truck with show and little go. A FWC is built for off road. Those wheels and tires right off the bat show it's not into function off road.

Ace! said:
Honesty. Hmm, looks like you'd have a bling but functional camper on a truck with show and little go. A FWC is built for off road. Those wheels and tires right off the bat show it's not into function off road.
I really appreciate your input Ace. Living in a flat area such as where I do, I'm at a loss as to why those rims and tires aren't "Functional". :unsure:

I don't really plan on traveling down narrow trails with limbs hitting the side of the rig and rocks effecting the edge of the rims. If I were to do that, I'd buy a much smaller rig. I plan on sticking to the more wide open spaces and then using a motorcycle to penetrate into the thicker stuff. Yes, keeping the rig looking nice will be a labor of love.

This is my retirement entertainment and my wife & I will be traveling all over the US in it ... so, all comments and experience is appreciated.

Off road you typically want more sidewall, not less. "Low pro" tires allows for a firmer, more connected ride, to the road. That's the opposite of what you want off road. It does not allow for the benefits found when you have a taller sidewall, more flexible as it wraps itself around obstacles, or flattens and provides more floatation.

The wheels are chromed, with many "spokes." They are more easily damaged or broken by obstacles and allow more (smaller rocks for example) to impact (or get caught in) the brake rotors. They appear to be aluminum, which can be good in some instances, but they break rather than bend.

Lift is a way to increase tire size as appropriate for the terrain, but you want as little lift as possible to get the largest tire for the terrain. Ground clearance is measured at the lowest point. Lift does not impact that, tire size does. The GM trucks have small wheel openings so it is difficult to get a larger tire on without a lot of lift, so it is a catch-22. You increase your center of gravity significantly, which can cause excessive sway or roll, for minimal gains in ground clearance.

So, for most off road conditions, that is not the truck or the set up. That's the kind of truck that makes a great tow rig (except for increasing wind resistance with so much height), but not off road. That's my $0.02 based on a fuzzy online pic. If I knew more about the mechanicals, I could probably go on.

Ace! said:
Off road you typically want more sidewall, not less. "Low pro" tires allows for a firmer, more connected ride, to the road. That's the opposite of what you want off road. It does not allow for the benefits found when you have a taller sidewall, more flexible as it wraps itself around obstacles, or flattens and provides more floatation.

The wheels are chromed, with many "spokes." They are more easily damaged or broken by obstacles and allow more (smaller rocks for example) to impact (or get caught in) the brake rotors. They appear to be aluminum, which can be good in some instances, but they break rather than bend.

Lift is a way to increase tire size as appropriate for the terrain, but you want as little lift as possible to get the largest tire for the terrain. Ground clearance is measured at the lowest point. Lift does not impact that, tire size does. The GM trucks have small wheel openings so it is difficult to get a larger tire on without a lot of lift, so it is a catch-22. You increase your center of gravity significantly, which can cause excessive sway or roll, for minimal gains in ground clearance.

So, for most off road conditions, that is not the truck or the set up. That's the kind of truck that makes a great tow rig (except for increasing wind resistance with so much height), but not off road. That's my $0.02 based on a fuzzy online pic. If I knew more about the mechanicals, I could probably go on.
Yea, not really set on the profile of those tires. If I can find some higher profile E rated tires with a tread pattern I like, I will opt for those no doubt.
A lot of my travels will be desert and beach. Thats why I'm looking at the 12" wide rims. I'm thinking more along the lines of 18" tall rims with significant sidewalls. Trust me, I'm not one of those guys that think a low profile tire looks good on a 4x4.

As far as center of gravity,... if there is a chance of rolling the rig, right tires and rims or not, I'm parking it right there, finding another way to point B or turning around and writing it off. I don't need to be stranded out in no mans land with my wife.

Thanks again

No worries, and I realize not everyone will have the same experience or needs. A wider wheel is going to give you an opportunity to run a wider tire, so you'll get that floatation you're looking for.

So. Oregon is cool because we have forest, beaches and Eastern Oregon that offers even more dunes. It's hard to build a rig that excels at everything. Mine works for me most of the time, but not all of the time. I'm always happy though to give someone my opinion. :D

Back
Top Bottom