Virginia Lakes - Eastern Sierra Nevada - August 2017

ski3pin

Belay On
Site Team
We were able to make a quick trip over to the east side of the Sierra Nevada, highway 395 and the Bridgeport area. It was a fun weekend. We stayed two nights in a campground with the usual cast of characters and survived! You are welcome to come along, as always, through our story now posted on our blog. You can find it here -

Virginia Lakes - Eastern Sierra Nevada - August 2017

Please enjoy! :)

Enjoyed your report. It's good to keep a sense of humor when camping in a campground- sometimes it is difficult. Good descriptions of the characters you encountered. Nice country to hike in.

Another fantastic report from the Ski3Pins. Beautiful country! That biplane was a very expensive Beech Staggerwing, one of the fastest biplanes ever put in production. Elegant flying machines, but too bad the pilot couldn't observe the guidelines.

Thanks for sharing!!!

Thanks for sharing another wonderful trip. What beautiful country. It is sad that people don't have respect for the land and for other people. jd

Ski, I was thinking of you and the Lady last night when I was watching a couple of You Tube videos under "Homemade Wanderlust".
They are done by a young lady who is doing the PCT this year. There sure is some interesting country out in your neighborhood.
Thanks for all of your posts, Bigfoot Dave

Even though non-native for the Westerners, you've got to love the aggressiveness of a brookie. I'll bet that 12-14" fish will hit like a ton of bricks when you get back to him next time!

We used to wet-wade for them in high gradient streams draining Grandfather Mountain wearing sneakers and full camo BDUs, including covers (hats). One cast, maybe two, was all you'd get in each tiny pool. Each cast required a great deal of contortionist maneuver while out of sight of the pool. We called it "combat fishing" or "brookie hunting".

Thanks for the trip!

Foy

All, thanks again for the nice comments! Yes, we are lucky there is so much close by to explore. Being out there continues to draw us. The adventure satisfies and enriches us. The connection with a primitive land is vital.

We are pleased these stories can trigger and bring back memories and stories for you. We appreciate you sharing.

Mr. Foy, humm, a ton of bricks.....we'll have to find out ;). Tight lines.

Loved your post. Have been through much of that country myself, on foot and on 4 tires.

And over it, in my own plane. In defense of the Staggerwing pilot, sometimes when crossing the Sierras you don't choose the route. It chooses you. The infamous Sierra mountain wave, the desire to remain clear of it, clouds, and even lesser winds, can force your hand. Which is why the third word in the rule is "requested", not "required." A Staggerwing is indeed a powerful plane, but compared to the power of the winds, it's a dandelion in a strong breeze.

Of course I wasn't there, and perhaps the pilot was in fact flouting the rules. That said, the magnificence of the Sierra crest, viewed from a light plane piloted by someone who knows how to cross those peaks safely, is a sight to behold.

Another great trip report. Too bad Turnbull campground closes in September. We plan to be in the area in October checking the fall colors.

Bill

yoloflyer, thank you for your comments and insight. I appreciate it. You are right about the magnificence of the view as I've enjoyed several flights in small aircraft. It is awe inspiring. You are lucky to enjoy it with your own plane! And, having been called to search for missing aircraft in the winter in the Sierra on skis, we know too well the dangers of mountain flight. That's kind of why it's second nature to pick out and watch an aircraft when we hear it. Be careful out there.

yoloflyer said:
Loved your post. Have been through much of that country myself, on foot and on 4 tires.

And over it, in my own plane. In defense of the Staggerwing pilot, sometimes when crossing the Sierras you don't choose the route. It chooses you. The infamous Sierra mountain wave, the desire to remain clear of it, clouds, and even lesser winds, can force your hand. Which is why the third word in the rule is "requested", not "required." A Staggerwing is indeed a powerful plane, but compared to the power of the winds, it's a dandelion in a strong breeze.

Of course I wasn't there, and perhaps the pilot was in fact flouting the rules. That said, the magnificence of the Sierra crest, viewed from a light plane piloted by someone who knows how to cross those peaks safely, is a sight to behold.

Another great TR - thanks!! Great pics of your hike, looks like you had a great time away from the campground.

Have to admit this report is making Dunderberg more and more of an option this weekend. After hearing from work that this winter is going to be very slow I'm not interested in sucking down multiple tanks of fuel. So much for Sherman Pass. Going to depend on just how high to get out of the heat and smoke.

If I don't make it that far, anyone know if its okay to let the dog swim in Heenan Lake?

Uh oh, just saw the Slinkard fire. https://yubanet.com/Fires/slinkard/ That might put a damper on my plans. Maybe an exploration of the roads South of Hwy 4.

Highland Lake may be a nice area to escape the heat. The road in, off of 4, is along the Mokelumne River.

I had not yet heard about the Sinkard fire. I will follow the reports on that one. Thanks Craig.

craig333 said:
Have to admit this report is making Dunderberg more and more of an option this weekend. After hearing from work that this winter is going to be very slow I'm not interested in sucking down multiple tanks of fuel. So much for Sherman Pass. Going to depend on just how high to get out of the heat and smoke.

If I don't make it that far, anyone know if its okay to let the dog swim in Heenan Lake?

Uh oh, just saw the Slinkard fire. https://yubanet.com/Fires/slinkard/ That might put a damper on my plans. Maybe an exploration of the roads South of Hwy 4.
I'm going to Great Basin Sept 12 - temps in the low 70s during the day and below 40 at night. Unfortunately, I'm stuck at home during this heat wave. Yuck! Think I'll take the kayaks up to Lake Valley for a night or two.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom