Wander-er's Kitchen

WAND3R3R

I am looking for recommendations for you cooking experts, what are your must have kitchen items?
I have what I call a "Wander-er's Kitchen."

http://www.apocketfullofwanderlust.com/2014/02/a-wander-ers-kitchen.html

I guess, I will eventually figure it out, when I try to make something and I don't have the necessary item….

5rja.jpg

dz2v.jpg

Since I bought my FWC, I have been gradually replacing all my old backpacking/camping cooking gear with new things-not that the old ones didn't work, just that I had an indoor stove and frig now, so that meant allot of new options, especially in food and materials and cooking outside or inside. So here goes short list! My large and small Lodge cast iron frying pans with covers. I can cook, bake, boil, what ever in them either inside or outside my FWC. You can bury them in coals, on the stove or grill, on just about any cooking devise. I also have a very old metal habachi/charcoal that I can cook on-works in the rain/wind/snow. One med and one small (for coffee) covered pot and several cups/mugs (still have my backpacker cooking kit as a backup and still use it). One BQ metal grill (from my backpacker kit) for putting over the fire pit and oh, yes a can opener that works and one of those metal pot holders/picker uppers for my old backpacker kit.! There have been several threads on this site devoted to cooking to get some good ideas. ! Several of the folks on here are super good field cooks like MarkBC, Ted, Ski and many others and they turn out lot's of good stuff that they picture in their TRs! It sort of seems that if you don't have to put up that tent every night, you can instead not only explore more but you can devote that time to cooking things unknown during the old backpacking/tenting days! I'm still learning about what neat new things are out their to buy and make! Enjoy

Smoke

WAND3R3R said:
Smoke, great suggestions, thanks!
-AK
Hey I forgot tin foil---just wait when the rest of the gang start telling you about the special things they make and use! good eating to
you.

Smoke

Tin foil? Your are old! A fork and a cup are the must haves. Oh, and a big roll of paper towels. Gotta have that.

Tin foil? Your are old! A fork and a cup are the must haves. Oh, and a big roll of paper towels. Gotta have that.

Yep-But I'm still kicking :p ! Try Al-U-min-e -um foil-see how well I kept up with science ! :D 2X on the paper towels- you young whipper snapper! :)

Smoke

Hey something just happened here!-this post is supposed to have Craig post -you know in box with my reply outside-and I just had a problem signing out out! What ever!

Smoke

My pup is getting closer to travel ready. He wants to see an experienced travel dog in the wild. Hint.

One locally acquired stick. Whittled clean to roast stuff over the fire with. Everything after that is for contingency.
One old fashioned "Granite" coffee pot -w- percolator.
One steel fire grate salvaged from a derelict Coleman stove.
One Weber "Go Anywhere" compact grill for those times campfires are banned.
One small cast iron griddle for those times others are around and I do breakfast.
One set unknown alloy "big" camp cook ware. It all fits in the big pot like a backpack set only bigger. It's infrequently used and so old it was probably made with the first commercial run of alloy produced. One can opener of the same vintage.
One of those stainless steel fold up colander/steamer thing's. Rarely use it but if a vegan wanders in I'm ready.
Small assortment granite cups, a couple bowls, small assortment utensils, couple good kitchen knives -w- sheaths, roll of tin foil, paper plates for when I entertain.
One Jetboil pack stove with the Jetboil pan/griddle. It's a recent acquisition to replace my ancient mil spec gasoline pack stove.
One MSR Titanium cup, pot, customized spatula and spork in case the spontaneous urge to hike to something requiring a night to two bivouacked occurs and fires are not allowed or otherwise unable to occur. Don't always take the pan.

I've got a collection of big camp stuff like a three burner Camp Chef stove, couple of cast iron pans, dutch ovens and the like. I only pack them for larger group operations.

Oh, and one 2gal bucket. Not for anything specific but I do seem to use it a bit.

Like we really need to carry titanium (but is sure does have that shiny cool factor). Pretty good list Dan. I probably carry my three burner coleman maybe twice a year. Perhaps for the upcoming rally?

I have an MSR cup too(I've had it for ages) :) ! I also have an old Coleman 2 burner propane stove that always carry-never know when I may camp in that perfect place and the weather is great :p ! All this talk about camping gear is making me and "Bob" ready for a "wander" too Craig! Weather is great, but been waiting for a boil on my back to pop :eek: before I head out! Just don't know when/where medical things happen-so ya got to be prepared, rather it popped here than out there!, soooooo, more advise, Wand3r3r, add a good first aid kit to your gear in case you eat the wrong thing or walk into a branch or something-more than just some aspirin, but that stuff has been covered in a few threads all ready, gotta to be ready for all situations when you "wander the west" :D !

Smoke

Back
Top Bottom