Wandering the Mono Basin - October 2017

I've finished Part One (link in the above post) and am working on Part Two. A couple of exciting World Series games distracted me from completing our trip story. :)

Know what you mean about the WS games.
Last nights was the best ever.
I need to get my act together and work on our latest Spain trip.
Nice part one.
Thanks for the post.
You put a lot of work into your reports and I appreciate that.
Beautiful sky photos.
Frank

Beautiful photos and spectacular scenery. Quite the birthday present for the Lady. Thanks for taking us along. Looking forward to the second installment.

ski3pin said:
I've finished Part One (link in the above post) and am working on Part Two. A couple of exciting World Series games distracted me from completing our trip story. :)
Fantastic pics !! Your images bring home the feeling of peace and awe that many of us seek. Thanks for the inspiring TR!!

I recognize your campsites. The one near the base of Granite Mountain is what I call Rattlesnake Camp in honor of the critter that crawled out of the fire ring one night. I have not stayed in the site you chose near Sagehen Peak since I will park at the home of my friend just below there or keep going to another spot with an incredible view beyond McLaughlin Springs. I have also stayed near Crooked Meadow and one time got to make fresh truck tracks out to Hwy 120 through nearly a foot of Equinox snow. I love the Glass Mountains, have summited the peak and would do it again but I get your point about taking advantage of the clear skies. Not a lot of expansive vistas from those campsites near the trailhead but there are some view-ful ridges with groves of very old Limber Pines one can hike to out of Sawmill Meadow.

Oh yeah - Go Astros!

Thanks all for the nice comments, we appreciate it! About the World Series - we never follow any sports - but we watched a few of the playoffs with the Cubs wondering, "Could they do it again?" That led to the World Series. We knew nothing about the teams or had a favorite but quickly got rooting for the Astros. It was a fun watch!

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Know what you mean about the WS games.
Last nights was the best ever.
I need to get my act together and work on our latest Spain trip.
Nice part one.
Thanks for the post.
You put a lot of work into your reports and I appreciate that.
Beautiful sky photos.
Frank

longhorn1 said:
Ski, amazing pictures and views. Fun trip. Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to Part 2

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Beautiful trip! Thanks for letting us journey with you!

Ronin said:
Fantastic pics !! Your images bring home the feeling of peace and awe that many of us seek. Thanks for the inspiring TR!!
Ronin, thanks for the very nice comments. About the photos, I try. :)

Tuff Guy 62 said:
Beautiful photos and spectacular scenery. Quite the birthday present for the Lady. Thanks for taking us along. Looking forward to the second installment.
She deserves great birthday presents! What she really wanted for her birthday was to turn 65, get medicare, and cut our huge health insurance bills. I told her that's my birthday present and contribution this year.

Ms. Tele, thanks for your comments. Yes, the spots out near McLaughlin Springs offer tremendous views of the Mammoth Sierra vistas. So, you know the folks with the house in Sagehen Meadow? One part of me says, "Good for them! What a great place to have a house!" and another part says it looks so out of place in that open expanse of surrounding public lands. Someday we'll be back and pop up on Glass, especially since I just finished a book on the geology of the area. :) Wonderful stuff out there and we are so lucky to have it in our backyard.

oh yeah - The Astros did it!
teledork said:
I recognize your campsites. The one near the base of Granite Mountain is what I call Rattlesnake Camp in honor of the critter that crawled out of the fire ring one night. I have not stayed in the site you chose near Sagehen Peak since I will park at the home of my friend just below there or keep going to another spot with an incredible view beyond McLaughlin Springs. I have also stayed near Crooked Meadow and one time got to make fresh truck tracks out to Hwy 120 through nearly a foot of Equinox snow. I love the Glass Mountains, have summited the peak and would do it again but I get your point about taking advantage of the clear skies. Not a lot of expansive vistas from those campsites near the trailhead but there are some view-ful ridges with groves of very old Limber Pines one can hike to out of Sawmill Meadow.

Oh yeah - Go Astros!

Thanks guys! We appreciate when we get to follow your adventures too! :)

takesiteasy said:
Always enjoy your reports. What a nice birthday hike- beautiful country to roam around in. :)

longhorn1 said:
Another great trip. Thanks for allowing us to hike along with both of you. Happy Belated Birthday Julie.

ETAV8R said:
Wonderful wanderings!

Just finished part two.Another fun and beautiful trip.
Thanks for taking us along and for all the hard work you put into your trips so that
we all can get to see more of your special places.
Frank

ski3pin - a book of geology? Cool! I have tried to find more information on the geology of Granite Mountain but have not been successful. The granite is difficult to climb - lacking handholds, cracks, etc in the lower reaches. And it seems an anomaly in amongst the tuff and the obsidian. I am so curious (also curious about the geology of the Sweetwater Mountains - how does that stuff hold that angle of repose?) I am fascinated by geology but got my degree in Biology.

The man who originally built on that inholding in Sagehen Meadow died before the house was finished - somewhere between his truck, stuck in the snow on Hwy 120 and the house. My friend bought it from his estate. I've stayed there a few times. The quiet and the dark is stunning. And the sunrise comes very early. It is a documented Sagehen Lek. It is fun to watch the birds come in while sipping on a hot drink in the morning.

I saw what must have been Air Force One and Air Force Two fly over my campsite near Sawmill Meadow one evening. I had no idea until I spoke of it to other people - not a typical air route.

I love reading about your trips and would love to meet up with you some time - apparently you drive right by my house rather frequently. And I also ski on 3 pins (well, sometimes a cable)

Back
Top Bottom