Wandering the Mono Basin - October 2017

Great trip, and the hike from Walker Lake to Mono Pass is quite a haul.
My readings suggest Bloody Pass was named for the cuts the sheep endured over the rocky crossing. All the same, I guess.

Looks like you two will far exceed the "when I'm 64!" limitation on fun. We also recognize a number of sites and are always eager to add more to our list of East Side boondock sites. Our eyes will be peeled as we venture eastward over Thanksgiving and visiting the Mono Basin.

Ms. Tele, what a story about the fellow who built the house out there!

We picked up Geology of the Mono basin (Mono Lake Committee field guide series)
for six bucks at the Committee store in Lee Vining. I was surprised to learn an alternate reason for the formation of the Black Point fissures. It is a good general overview but does an excellent job. Easy to read in one sitting when you get hooked. All the granite is cooled magma chambers from the periods of volcanic eruptions that predated the rise of the Sierra and the stretching of the Great Basin.

We are glad you enjoy our stories, thanks! :)

ski3pin - a book of geology? Cool! I have tried to find more information on the geology of Granite Mountain but have not been successful. The granite is difficult to climb - lacking handholds, cracks, etc in the lower reaches. And it seems an anomaly in amongst the tuff and the obsidian. I am so curious (also curious about the geology of the Sweetwater Mountains - how does that stuff hold that angle of repose?) I am fascinated by geology but got my degree in Biology.

The man who originally built on that inholding in Sagehen Meadow died before the house was finished - somewhere between his truck, stuck in the snow on Hwy 120 and the house. My friend bought it from his estate. I've stayed there a few times. The quiet and the dark is stunning. And the sunrise comes very early. It is a documented Sagehen Lek. It is fun to watch the birds come in while sipping on a hot drink in the morning.

I saw what must have been Air Force One and Air Force Two fly over my campsite near Sawmill Meadow one evening. I had no idea until I spoke of it to other people - not a typical air route.

I love reading about your trips and would love to meet up with you some time - apparently you drive right by my house rather frequently. And I also ski on 3 pins (well, sometimes a cable)

Lighthawk, I can imagine sheep getting bloodied moving through that rock pile. Sometime we'd like to do the hike again and have a vehicle waiting at the trailhead in Yosemite at Dana Meadows. We do still try to remain as active as we can. It's good to keep the joints oiled and the muscles moving. Have a great Thanksgiving! Most all our plans are kind of up in the air. Who knows what we might end up doing if we get away.

I wonder what fun it would be - right when Tioga opens - to ski from the entrance to Mono Pass and ski down Bloody Canyon. :)

Lighthawk said:
Great trip, and the hike from Walker Lake to Mono Pass is quite a haul.
My readings suggest Bloody Pass was named for the cuts the sheep endured over the rocky crossing. All the same, I guess.

Looks like you two will far exceed the "when I'm 64!" limitation on fun. We also recognize a number of sites and are always eager to add more to our list of East Side boondock sites. Our eyes will be peeled as we venture eastward over Thanksgiving and visiting the Mono Basin.

TR2 - great photo-documentary of your hike. Isn't it funny how different the thread is ascending vs descending ?! Keep on hiking!!

Great birthday adventures!
As always, thanks for the pics, excellent commentary, and sharing. :)
Happy birthday the Lady! :D

All of you are very kind, thank you for the kind comments! And the Lady says thanks for the birthday wishes! :)

Ronin said:
TR2 - great photo-documentary of your hike. Isn't it funny how different the thread is ascending vs descending ?! Keep on hiking!!

Occidental said:
I enjoyed your report immensely, as usual. Thanks for taking the time to write it up and for all the great photos.

hoyden said:
Great birthday adventures!
As always, thanks for the pics, excellent commentary, and sharing. :)
Happy birthday the Lady! :D

Back
Top Bottom