Water flow problems

Bdold

Advanced Member
I have a 2010 Grandby. When I turn the electric switch on for water the motor runs continuously. When I open the valve no water comes out. The tank is full and I do not have a hot water system. I jammed my huge head into the cabinet and I can see a valve on each side of the pump as well as a flow direction valve. Anyone have any ideas?
Bryan

Flojet. Since I bought it in February, I wouldn't think any part of the pump is bad. Maybe...

Flojet. Since I bought it in February, I wouldn't think any part of the pump is bad. Maybe...

Has it ever worked???

Might not be drawing and has air locked between the source and pump.

Does your model have quick connect fittings at the pump along with a filter on the inlet side?

Open the faucet and take the inlet side off and see if the line is clear and you have water to the pump and the filter is not clogged. Prime the water to the pump and turn it on and see if it starts pumping.

Make sure the inlet side of the pump is the side that is sucking water out of the tank (check this)

Has it ever worked???

Might not be drawing and has air locked between the source and pump.

Does your model have quick connect fittings at the pump along with a filter on the inlet side?

Open the faucet and take the inlet side off and see if the line is clear and you have water to the pump and the filter is not clogged. Prime the water to the pump and turn it on and see if it starts pumping.

Make sure the inlet side of the pump is the side that is sucking water out of the tank (check this)

Yes, it has worked. My model is the 03526-144 I've got roughly 30 days in it and pumped around 60 gallons with it. Flojet says it is self priming.

I am unsure if it has a filter but, there is a directional flow valve. When you say check it for sucking water... will I just put my finger over the inlet and feel a draw?

Who ever clamped the outlet tubing in place did so that the quick disconnect will not unscrew because it hits the clamp. Also, the pump is in the cabinet and then behind a wall. I basically need to disassemble the entire cabinet. Awesome! This what I need during elk season. This could have waited 1 month.

Yes, it has worked. My model is the 03526-144 I've got roughly 30 days in it and pumped around 60 gallons with it. Flojet says it is self priming.

I am unsure if it has a filter but, there is a directional flow valve. When you say check it for sucking water... will I just put my finger over the inlet and feel a draw?

Who ever clamped the outlet tubing in place did so that the quick disconnect will not unscrew because it hits the clamp. Also, the pump is in the cabinet and then behind a wall. I basically need to disassemble the entire cabinet. Awesome! This what I need during elk season. This could have waited 1 month.

2010 camper and worked for 30 days...Call FWC and ask for a replacement pump if it is that new.

Too bad it is hard to get to to check things out. You'll some how need to see if the input is clogged and not allowing water to the pump. Yes if the inlet was off you could put your finger over and feel the suction.

If you could, give Terry a call in our service dept.

He might be able to help trouble shoot it for you.

FWC SERVICE

800-242-1442

ASK FOR TERRY

Has the camper been in below freezing temps over the Winter ?

Maybe a water line froze & cracked ?

Terry should be able to walk through it with you.

Where do you live ?

thanks

If you could, give Terry a call in our service dept.

He might be able to help trouble shoot it for you.

FWC SERVICE

800-242-1442

ASK FOR TERRY

Has the camper been in below freezing temps over the Winter ?

Maybe a water line froze & cracked ?

Terry should be able to walk through it with you.

Where do you live ?

thanks

Thanks Stan an PV,
I called and left Terry a message this morning. I may call again as I need to get it fixed for the weekend. We did not put any water into the system until April although we used it several times before. The system has not seen freezing temps since we started filling it. It has been working through our hot summer just fine.

Boulder, CO
Bryan

Fixed it! The quick disconnect on the inlet must have been slightly loose....I think. I unscrewed it and was getting a draw from the pump. I reconnected it and water poured from the spigot. Thanks for the suggestions. This site is great forum. Bryan

Fixed it! The quick disconnect on the inlet must have been slightly loose....I think. I unscrewed it and was getting a draw from the pump. I reconnected it and water poured from the spigot. Thanks for the suggestions. This site is great forum. Bryan

Glad to hear it...Easier for the pump to suck air than water............Now go enjoy your Elk hunt!

So here’s my problem. About a month (Jan 2011) after getting my new FWC Grandby (delivered Dec 2010), the water pump started to get really loud when it pumped water. I called Terry at FWC and asked what could be wrong. He said he would talk to the owner and get back to me about the problem. There’s a long story here about phone tag and who was to check things out, but in the end, an RV place here in the North Valley of Phoenix checked it out. The result was that they replaced the old pump with a new Shurflo (Model 2088-422-444) and I was back in business. FWC picked up the tab and I was happy to get back to my winter desert camping. In early Feb, I took the first trip and the pump worked like a fine.

The next chapter came in the middle of the month when a buddy and I headed out into the desert for a couple days of nugget shooting. The new pump would turn on but it didn’t pump any water!! What? Two new pumps going bad? That didn’t sound right at all so I called FWC when I got back. Terry was out of the office but I talked to his assistant. I asked him if there was anything I could do to troubleshoot the problem. He told me I could try disconnecting the outflow side of the pump to see if there was any flow at all. I said I would give it a try and he said he would have Terry give me a call the next day.

So I disconnected the outflow side of the pump and turned it on. The pump runs but it doesn’t pump water. I can see a little bubble of water surface every few seconds but that’s all. The next day is Thursday and I waited all day for Terry to call but no call so I played telephone tag with him on Friday. We finally connected late in the afternoon and I gave him my tale of woe. I asked him if there was any troubleshooting I could do before we spent any money. I asked him if it was a FWC issue or if I should go back to the RV service shop that installed the new pump. His response was that he needed to talk to the owner and that’s the last I’ve heard from him. It’s been a week since we talked and now I’m not feeling very good about this at all.

Earlier this week, I got on Amazon.com and had them overnight a replacement Shurflo pump. My friend and I got in there and replaced the pump. It’s didn’t exactly seem like rocket science with two quick connect water connections and two wires, hot and ground, so we hooked up the new one. I put the power back on and voila, the pump wirred to life for a few seconds and I smiled when I heard it pick up the prime, water started to dribble out the faucet. And then the damned thing just shut off, died on the spot, nada. Check all the connections, check all the fuses, nothing. The new pump is dead in the water and we re-installed the old one. It turns on just like before but it doesn’t pump water. Switch pumps once more and the new one is absolutely dead. Put the old one back in and it turns on but doesn’t pump water.

Okay, this is getting kinda long so I’ll cut to the chase. What the heck is wrong? Three pumps in three months?!! I’ve got an appointment next week to go back to the RV place and they don’t sound very happy with me. FWC doesn’t seem very interested in my problem either. So I’m wondering if any of you guys have any ideas. Any help would be appreciated as I think my appointment with the RV Service center is going to cost me $$$.

FYI- FWC is right in the middle of moving their facility to a new location. I'm sure they are not ignoring you, be patient.

Sounds like something is plugged up.

I would ensure the water supply path to the pump is OK. No pinched/bent tubes from the water tank, something blocking the tube, a wad of sealant for example.

An easy way to test might be to unhook the pump inlet side hose, put a cup or pan under it, then fill the FW tank from outside so that the water level backs up the fill tube opening and is therefore at a higher level than the pump. Water should flow freely out the hose end into the pan. Might need to people, one to fill and the other to watch as it might drain into the pan fast if things are normal.

I highly doubt you have 3 failed pumps unless they are water starved and running dry for a long period each time. Also make sure you shut off the pump power when in motion or not using it.

Thanks KZMDL for the suggestions. I disconnected the pump inlet side hose from the pump and had my 87 year old mother (!!!) watch the outflow as I overfilled the water tank. The water flows freely from the line until the level got down so I'm suspecting that there is no obstruction in the pump inlet side hose between the tank and the pump.

Also, none of the three pumps have been turned on for any long periods of time and I never leave the pump power on unless I am actually using the water system.

You might try and bench test the pumps. With a fused 12volt source, two rubber hoses with clamps, and a bucket of water you can trouble shoot the pumps without having the hassle of the camper. Make sure your inlet connections are tight or you will draw air. If the pumps check out then I would recheck the plumbing system.

-Chris

I assume you've disconnected the pump at the outlet side? No flow there? Three pumps and still problems. Wish you were closer, I'd love to come over and try and see whats going on.

Here's an update:

The problem was caused by debris from the tank getting into the pump diaphram. After the RV place figured that out, they cleaned it up and I had them install a filter ahead of the pump to avoid future occurances. I will also look into an inline filter for the hose as a precaution.

Thanks to all for your suggestions and especially to 4wsilver for offering to meet with me and troubleshoot my water system.

BTW, FWC never did call me back...

Back
Top Bottom