Water heater and propane pressure

super doody

Our camper has been working out great! We are all digging the features we have. One of our favorite glamping luxuries is hot water! With that said, sometimes I have issues with getting the water heater to stay on. Its igniting but the flame is not staying on. I think its an issue with the propane pressure. Any input would be appreciated. Here is what I wrote to FWC:

Hi Mike,

The camper has been working out great! We have being going out 1-2 times a weekend every month for the past 4 months.

One issue I do have is some times the water heater doesn't ignite. It will take 3 to 4 times and then I usually have to run the stove for 30 second for the water heater to ignite and to stay on. This just a guess but Is the propane pressure too high and its actually blowing the flame ? Just this weekend, I notice it on the stove as well. When I light the stove, the flame blows out within the first few seconds.

I shut off the propane when in transit. This usually happens when I"m turning on the water heater the first time when I get to camp.

On the propane tank, should the valve be completely open? Is there an adjustment on the propane regulator?

Thanks,

Jim

I had a similar experience because I was only hooking up the bottle and turning it on right before I needed it. One day I was reading through the manual and there it was:

"Wait a few minutes before turning on any propane appliances inside or outside the camper. This will allow the pressure to build up in the propane hose, the safety check valve will open up, and your camper will then receive the full propane flow it needs to run the appliances"

Now I hook the propane up and turn it on as I'm setting up camp instead of waiting until I need it. Haven't had a problem since.

ribs said:
I had a similar experience because I was only hooking up the bottle and turning it on right before I needed it. One day I was reading through the manual and there it was:

"Wait a few minutes before turning on any propane appliances inside or outside the camper. This will allow the pressure to build up in the propane hose, the safety check valve will open up, and your camper will then receive the full propane flow it needs to run the appliances"

Now I hook the propane up and turn it on as I'm setting up camp instead of waiting until I need it. Haven't had a problem since.
Ribs,

Thanks. Do you open the propane valve all the way? Do you travel with the propane close or open?

I do open it all the way - still takes a little time to get the propane all the way over to the water heater though. I was using the stove trick just like you explained before figuring this out. I disconnect the propane and close the tank valve for travel, but I don't have a refrigerator that is relying on it. I just make it part of my setup/tear-down routine and it seems to work for me. Hope this helps!

With a few exceptions (Acetylene tanks is one that I know of) high pressure tank valves are designed to seal when fully opened or fully closed and only hold pressure between those two extremes, not seal it. I always open these valves fully unless it is one of the exceptions.

I had this issue happen to me even on the second day of camp even have using the stove, heater. Its intermittent. I reached out FWC. I'm hoping to get a response soon.

Meant to add that we go thru this every time we refill the tank or after I've turned it off for any period of time. Which means that I go thru it every time that I start the fridge for the next trip.

Back
Top Bottom