Water Leak Between Vinyl and Cab Over

Quint

Advanced Member
UPDATE: This is a 2013 All Terrain Camper Bobcat and should be moved to that forum. Accidently posted here.

Area in question is the connection between vinyl and frame again no tears in the vinyl:
IMG_0128.jpg

Thinking of using this. I need a product that will stick to both the vinyl and the metal without damage.
71mqCCiKlaL._AC_SY879_PIbundle-6,TopRight,0,0_SH20_.jpg

When it rains I have a small dampness where the vinyl tucks into the aluminum frame of the camper in the front of the camper on the inside of the cabover.

There are no holes of tears of any kind in the vinyl there and the leak is very small. It's more of a weeping where the water is dripping down between the vinyl and the frame. The water is slowly working into the inside and the "rat fur" is slightly damp on the top edge where it cover the aluminum frame on the inside. I want to know what I can do to seal the outside so there is no gap with some kind of caulk or sealant but I don't know what will stick to the vinyl and the metal.

Would a thin bead of Dicor work or anything else that may be easier to work with and maybe clear to be less obvious?

Any suggestions?

Don't use silicone. Dicor lap sealant or 3m 4200 would be my choice. That said, can you replicate the leak on a dry day at home by using a directed water spray? The water may not be entering where you think it is.

I second Vic's comment.

Do not use any Silicone products.

Water may not be coming from where you think it is coming from. Best to try to isolate the leak by gradually wetting parts of the exterior.

Our camper gets a wet spot on the fur in that corner that drips from a screw head in the ceiling above it. I have sealed the roof as well as tested it with a hose. I suspect that the hollow square Aluminum tubing gets condensation inside it and that slowly accumulates and moves to the location where the screwhead penetrates the tubing. I have not removed the screw, put 3M 4200 on it and replaced it yet so I am not certain of this diagnosis.(mine is a 2007 Keystone and I don't think they were filling the tubes then)

Also, while it is messy to work with (it sticks to everything and can get everywhere) I suggest 3M 4200 for edges and vertical surfaces. Be sure to have a damp rag ready for wiping. It doesn't stick to wet surfaces.

I hope this is helpful.

Craig

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I will try some Dicor and tape it off to just put a small line into the groove where the vinyl meets the trim. I'm sure it's coming from the outside in this area as I've had the top up for three days and it's been raining. The inside ceiling is dry, the inside vinyl is dry and I have a thermal pack that is completely dry. The only small damp area is on the cabover framing at the bottom of where the vinyl meets the frame. Anyway, it's a small isolated area that I hope I can seal from the outside.

can I jump on this thread?

Does anyone know what type sealant is used between the aluminum roof and the black trim? I've got to repair this…

IDPaddler said:
can I jump on this thread?

Does anyone know what type sealant is used between the aluminum roof and the black trim? I've got to repair this…

From your photo it looks like you have more then a sealant problem.
Have the screws pulled away from the side frame?
If so you need to reattach maybe with larger screws.then reseal.
Frank

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Frank
That may require through bolts.

Frank

Wandering Sagebrush said:
That may require through bolts.

Agreed ,that looks very serious. How does that happen?
Having the latch over tight?
Through bolts would solve that for sure.
Frank
I knew I'd get asked "How".......I pulled a rookie move and left the front passenger side latched when popping up. Bent the frame. Fortunately not bad and it bent right back using the 2x4 method. But it did pull the bolts out. They screwed back in. Lady at FWD service dept indicated it shouldn't be an issue as long as I reseal it. Now I'm thinking I should use through bolts. Not sure how to do that. DOn't really want to start taking things apart.

One more question.
Anyone know what the semi-clear sealant that is used on the outside rivets/grommets in the vinyl?
Is this something that periodically needs to be touched up or wear off?
It looks like some of them still have some kind of sealant and some not.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 45

Back
Top Bottom