Water proof camper cover?

2trout

Anybody out there have or make a waterproof cover for their camper?

I'm not totally sure its necessary, but the sun in the mountain west is brutal, and it can't be a bad thing to keep the camper dry when its not being used....can it?

Thinking about buying some old vinyl billboard material to fabricate a cover.

Trout

Ive used several different what i would call standard blue and brown and silver tarps over the years for covering different things. They just don't seem to last all that long out here in Colorado.

There are various suppliers of old billboard vinyl on the web. Some pretty heavy stuff too, 15mils plus.

2trout said:
Anybody out there have or make a waterproof cover for their camper?

I'm not totally sure its necessary, but the sun in the mountain west is brutal, and it can't be a bad thing to keep the camper dry when its not being used....can it?

Thinking about buying some old vinyl billboard material to fabricate a cover.

Trout
I have used the old stand by "tarps" for years now.
I mainly just want to keep the sun/salt in the air/tree crap off the camper/truck.
I cut out for the solar bunggie it down and that's it.
Has work well so far.
Frank

Have you considered a carport? Either a permanent one or one of the portable metal frames covered by tarps would suffice to keep the camping unit clean and dry. A relatively small solar panel mounted on a post in the optimum configuration could be plugged into the rear solar socket to keep camper batteries topped off.

Unplugging panel and driving off seems easier than removing a cover, folding it , and storing it. Also, a carport tall enough to pop up the camper could be a blessing for maintenance.

Paul

PaulT said:
Have you considered a carport? Either a permanent one or one of the portable metal frames covered by tarps would suffice to keep the camping unit clean and dry. A relatively small solar panel mounted on a post in the optimum configuration could be plugged into the rear solar socket to keep camper batteries topped off.

Unplugging panel and driving off seems easier than removing a cover, folding it , and storing it. Also, a carport tall enough to pop up the camper could be a blessing for maintenance.

Paul
You keep mentioning the "rear solar socket" in your posts, but I have yet to see one on my 2011 Hawk.

2thdr said:
You keep mentioning the "rear solar socket" in your posts, but I have yet to see one on my 2011 Hawk.
It's an option that can be included for the build, but basic skills are all that are needed to add one. It's just a SA E plug and wiring to the controller.

Sorry, I forgot that the rear solar socket was an option when I ordered my 2014 Hawk. However, if I needed to add one where none existed, I would use an MC4 pigtail under the wing rather than the SAE socket on the rear wall.

Most available portable panels now have MC4 pigtails. They are waterproof and you can buy extensions of various lengths rather than building adapters. The one disadvantage of the MC4 connector vs. the SAE connector is that a tool is used to facilitate disconnecting the cables.

https://www.renogy.com/renogy-solar-panel-mc4-assembly-tool/

Paul

Paul

My lot won't really accommodate a carport, plus a carport is more than I want to invest in. My camper storage will be next to an outlet on my house, so I can battery charge from there.

My rational is this....I have often read about the sudden discovery of a leak after the winter or some other long period of storage of these type of pop up campers. I would like to keep the weather exposure to a minimum (unless of course we are in it :) ), particularly snow/ice and the deluge rains we receive in Colorado in the summer.

In my research for a DIY solution for a cover I came across used billboard vinyl. It has been removed from billboards and is a weather/UV stable material, often up to 19 mils thick. Fairly reasonable too 12'x24' for $25.00. The material is glueable with the correct adhesive, and Im sure that grommets can be put into it.

When I under take this i will post about it.

Do most of you just store your FCWs, ATC, etc out in the elements?

Good luck with the project. Keep us posted.

Personally I would just get a tarp. You can get good quality ones 50 mil that will last many years or inexpensive ones that you replace every couple years.

If you do use a tarp or something along those lines, use something to stand it off the camper a little bit so you have some air flow around it.

Back
Top Bottom