Water Tank Leak and plastic welding

captainphx

My 2012 Raven developed a leak. I suspected one of the tank fittings. So I pulled the 22 gallon tank out, and filled it with water.

If you are familiar with these tanks, you know that they use 4 sensors that detect the water quantity and is reflected on the panel inside the camper with 4 red lights. It appears that during the tank manufacturing process, four holes approx 3/4 inch in diameter are drilled into the tank. The sensor, which is inserted into a 3/4 inch diameter plastic plug, is then inserted into the 3/4 inch hole that was drilled into the tank and is then plastic welded. It is the weld itself, that is leaking. Second one from the bottom of the tank.

I called FWC and they said they haven't seen a leak in one of those plug welds in many years. In any case, they recommended a place near me (1.5 hours away) that does plastic welding. Anyone know of any other type repair procedures that would be effective, short of a new tank? Is a plastic weld repair effective?

captainphx said:
My 2012 Raven developed a leak. I suspected one of the tank fittings. So I pulled the 22 gallon tank out, and filled it with water.

If you are familiar with these tanks, you know that they use 4 sensors that detect the water quantity and is reflected on the panel inside the camper with 4 red lights. It appears that during the tank manufacturing process, four holes approx 3/4 inch in diameter are drilled into the tank. The sensor, which is inserted into a 3/4 inch diameter plastic plug, is then inserted into the 3/4 inch hole that was drilled into the tank and is then plastic welded. It is the weld itself, that is leaking. Second one from the bottom of the tank.

I called FWC and they said they haven't seen a leak in one of those plug welds in many years. In any case, they recommended a place near me (1.5 hours away) that does plastic welding. Anyone know of any other type repair procedures that would be effective, short of a new tank? Is a plastic weld repair effective?
Could you use silicone? How about checking with pet stores that sell/make aquariums.
Just some thoughts.
Frank

Why not get one w/o plastic welds. Mine doesn't have any welds and just uses those sensors to guess-mate the water level. someone posted a source for the sensors that look better but the display is expensive OR do as someone else suggested, just make a viewing slot to the tank and maybe put some marks on it for 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 that you can see. If you've done the hard work to get to the tank, I'd be leary of putting or repairing a problem tank.

kmcintyre said:
Why not get one w/o plastic welds. Mine doesn't have any welds and just uses those sensors to guess-mate the water level. someone posted a source for the sensors that look better but the display is expensive OR do as someone else suggested, just make a viewing slot to the tank and maybe put some marks on it for 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 that you can see. If you've done the hard work to get to the tank, I'd be leary of putting or repairing a problem tank.
I've contacted a plastic welding company here and they say they can weld it. Completely fuses the plastic back together. I also just called the company in Colorado that makes it. The Metal Company in Arvada. (ironic) They said that no type of adhesive will stick to it. Yes, I plan on cutting in a site gauge.

Why not try to weld it yourself. Nothing to lose, right? Pros use a hot air gun (very small tip) for things like welding seams in linoleum flooring. Soldering irons can also be used. If you don't have a solder iron you could get a small one cheap. It's not like your working 40 ft of seam. There are a number of videos on you tube.

Here is a couple of photos of the problem area.

IMG_3140.JPG

IMG_3139 copy.jpg

Spin Weld is the name of those fittings. If you can bring that tank by here we can fix it. They do make little plugs that can be spun into the bad spot that will stop the leak. The melted plastic looks like glue making people think the fittings are glued in.
www.spinwelding.com

marty said:
Spin Weld is the name of those fittings. If you can bring that tank by here we can fix it. They do make little plugs that can be spun into the bad spot that will stop the leak. The melted plastic looks like glue making people think the fittings are glued in.
www.spinwelding.com
Thanks Marty!

Backroad Joe said:
Why not try to weld it yourself. Nothing to lose, right? Pros use a hot air gun (very small tip) for things like welding seams in linoleum flooring. Soldering irons can also be used. If you don't have a solder iron you could get a small one cheap. It's not like your working 40 ft of seam. There are a number of videos on you tube.
Yes, I thought of that. I do have a soldering iron. I did see that there are some plastic welders available online as well. Mostly they are quite expensive--$400-$800. I did see a cheap one at Harbor Freight, but it had really bad reviews. The estimate that I got from a company that does plastic welding is $40-$65. Not too bad. I just thought they they might be able to get better penetration than I would with a soldering iron that has no temp control, plus I think it needs to have plastic added into the crack area. I'd really like it to be fixed properly as it is quite a job removing the tank.

$40 to $60 have it done right. You do not need a leak. I do have a plastic welder and done right it will be stronger than new.

Wow! I had called FWC just before I started this thread and asked what their recommendation was on fixing the tank. That is how I came in contact with a plastic welder in my area. Then, the next day FWC called me up and said they are sending a totally new tank...4 years past warranty. Additionally they are sending me the birch plywood panel that swelled up as a result of the water leak! Couldn't be happier. Very impressed!

captainphx said:
Wow! I had called FWC just before I started this thread and asked what their recommendation was on fixing the tank. That is how I came in contact with a plastic welder in my area. Then, the next day FWC called me up and said they are sending a totally new tank...4 years past warranty. Additionally they are sending me the birch plywood panel that swelled up as a result of the water leak! Couldn't be happier. Very impressed!
Love it! FWC comes through!

Back
Top Bottom