Weather

craig333

Riley's Human
An hour ago I was putting a new thermostat in the Jeep thinking it was pretty warm. Where's that rain they forecast? And now that 20% chance of rain is coming down pretty good.

Sitting here at a free BLM campsite in southwest
Oregon,hot spring included.Clear blue sky mid 60s.

Over cast here in Suzieville, very windy, getting cold, have a fire going and watching a Dodger-Giant game on TV (Giants up 5-0 :D )-----oh yeah, 50% chance of rain here in the valley with snow in the hills. Rain/snow chance until Wednesday, then clear and cold. To think, it was 90 or so in Reno on Wednesday, and still hot here, red flag weather yesterday with a almost 20 degree drop in temp today; me thinks another weird Fall/Winter has started, but have my wood mostly stacked and plan to had out of here late week-destination still unknown but feel like smelling some salt sea air!

Smoke

Well, looks like we'll have a more typical PNW storm blow through over the next few days. The NOAA weather broadcast is calling for an "Impressively stormy" period for Western WA. Might be a neat time to go over to the coast and watch the surf - 30-35' swells forecast for the off-shore, with 15'+ breakers at La Push, 40-50mph winds. Forecasting lots of tree damage as most still have their leaves. should be interesting...

This set of storms is predicted to have gusts to 90 mph along the Oregon coast, with valleys seeing 40-50 mph. Close to two inches of rain for Portland on Friday. Not fun!

And in our neck of the woods...............................

Special Weather Statement
Code:
SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SACRAMENTO CA
245 PM PDT WED OCT 12 2016

.IMPACTS...
 *SLICK ROADS, URBAN PONDING AND FLOODING
 *HIGH POTENTIAL OF SPINOUTS AND ACCIDENTS...ESPECIALLY FOR THE
  FRIDAY MORNING COMMUTE
 *CLOGGED GUTTERS AND DRAINS FROM FALLING LEAVES
 *BREEZY WINDS MAY BRING DOWN SMALL BRANCHES AND WEAKENED TREES,
  CAUSE LOCAL POWER OUTAGES, AND BLOW LOOSE OBJECTS AND HALLOWEEN
  DECORATIONS
 *HIGH ELEVATION SNOW IMPACTING SEASONAL MOUNTAIN PASS TRAVEL

.FORECAST CONFIDENCE...
 *HIGH

.TIMING AND STRENGTH...
 *FIRST WAVE: THURSDAY NIGHT THROUGH FRIDAY. 0.50 TO 1.50 INCHES
  OF RAIN ACROSS THE VALLEY. UP TO 4 INCHES OF RAIN OVER THE
  MOUNTAINS. SNOW LEVELS MAINLY ABOVE 7500 FEET. SOUTH WIND GUSTS
  30 TO 45 MPH ACROSS THE VALLEY.
 *SECOND WAVE: SATURDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH EARLY MONDAY. UP TO 0.75
  INCHES ACROSS THE VALLEY, UP TO 4 INCHES OVER THE MOUNTAINS.
  SNOW LEVELS MAINLY ABOVE 7000 FEET. SOUTH WIND GUSTS 30 TO 45
  MPH.

.WEATHER SUMMARY...
 *BIG PATTERN CHANGE ARRIVES THURSDAY AS STORMY WEATHER IMPACTS
  NORTHERN CALIFORNIA THROUGH MONDAY. TWO PRIMARY WAVES ARE
  EXPECTED: THE FIRST WILL BE THURSDAY THROUGH FRIDAY AND THE
  SECOND SATURDAY THROUGH MONDAY. THE PRIMARY IMPACTS WILL BE
  WATER AND WIND RELATED. PERIODS OF HEAVY PRECIPITATION MAY LEAD
  TO WIDESPREAD URBAN PONDING AND LOCALIZED FLOODING, MAKING
  TRAVEL MORE DANGEROUS. GUSTY WINDS MAY BRING DOWN SMALL
  BRANCHES, CAUSE LOCALIZED POWER OUTAGES, AND BLOW LOOSE OBJECTS
  AND HALLOWEEN DECORATIONS.

Today we some things in the sky that are called "clouds".
I haven't seen them near my house for a few years now.
They were just passing by.

Our local weather guy says we probably won't get any drops out of the event later this week or on this weekend.

Send water our way soon... please.

Looks like there's a chance that things could get down right sporty around here...

"...We still have much to learn about the Saturday storm. What we know
is that an incredibly deep low pressure center... with its origins
traced back to Typhoon Songda in the western Pacific... will move
into the northeast Pacific and peak in strength on Saturday.

What remains to be seen is exactly what track the low center will
take. This will make a huge difference in how badly this storm
impacts western Washington. There is a 1 in 3 chance of the low
center directly crossing some part of western Washington. This
would be a worst case scenario leading to a historical windstorm
for nearly all of western Washington that would be long
remembered."

Really cool, sure easy to see that big plume of winds and moisture rolling right into the Oregon coast and up through the "wet" side of OR and WA :)

Today the predicted precipitation amounts in the mountains from both storm waves was upped from 8 inches to 10 inches. Lets see what ole Ma Nature throws at us.

I get to drive right into the heart of it starting tomorrow! First night in the Columbia Gorge, Saturday night south of Cannon Beach. Might grow gills. I'll be ready to dry off in the desert at the gathering though i do enjoy coastal storms.

ski3pin said:
Today the predicted precipitation amounts in the mountains from both storm waves was upped from 8 inches to 10 inches. Lets see what ole Ma Nature throws at us.
Let's be thankful we don't have a big snowpack already, otherwise we could lose it all, and have extreme flooding. I wouldn't mind a big snowpack sans rain...

Cayuse said:
I get to drive right into the heart of it starting tomorrow! First night in the Columbia Gorge, Saturday night south of Cannon Beach. Might grow gills. I'll be ready to dry off in the desert at the gathering though i do enjoy coastal storms.
Thought folks in the Pacific Northwest already had gills - sorry, couldn't resist. Travel safe and have a great time!

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Let's be thankful we don't have a big snowpack already, otherwise we could lose it all, and have extreme flooding. I wouldn't mind a big snowpack sans rain...
Yup, very warm storm with high snow levels. Mr. Sage, you travel safe also. :)

630am-heavy rain here in Susanville. I hear that fire with super winds have closed traffic both ways in Washoe Valley(395) and there is another fire in Tahoe (and Carson City too) that has closed 89 near Camp Richardson-with evacuations in both places; what a strange year with rain and wind with red flag warnings all at the same time!

Smoke

Smokecreek1 said:
630am-heavy rain here in Susanville. I hear that fire with super winds have closed traffic both ways in Washoe Valley(395) and there is another fire in Tahoe (and Carson City too) that has closed 89 near Camp Richardson-with evacuations in both places; what a strange year with rain and wind with red flag warnings all at the same time!

Smoke
Hope the fires don't get big due to all the high wind.
Stay safe and warm.
Frank

Back
Top Bottom