Weather

Yea I580 and East Lake Blvd was closed this morning due to the fire in Washoe Valley. It was reported at 3:30 am. Cause was from a control burn area. The control burn was stopped days ago but the winds got it going again.

The one in Carson City south end of town East side of highway across from Costco, called the Clear Creek Fire. It had flames that I could see last night from my house on the north end of the valley, impressive high flames. That one is 100 percent contained.

We did have strong winds this morning and over night. Around noon the winds died down and eased the rain shadow effect and we got some rain. But of course we got rain because I got a load of building lumber delivered, not dry anymore.

We already lost power from the "little" storm yesterday. This afternoon is going to get interesting.

I picked the wrong weekend to build a new liner for my camper.

The big storm that wasn't. The "smaller" storm on Thursday PM/Friday AM ended up much worse (see Clikfr8/Judy's comments on the VoG thread). Still there were trees down and power outages, pretty typical stuff though. The local TV weather forecasters are all doing their mea culpas. Well at least that coverage was so much better than the endless tabloid coverage of what or electoral process has degraded into.

Sort of wonder if somebody felt a need to sell more generators and emergency supplies, I'm sure recent sales statistics will show a marked uptick...

Yep, a little wind yesterday evening with some light showers overnight here in Salinas. Probably a good thing though for those attending Camel Racer's Randsburg Rally.

Here near the coast we have had some real heavy downpours.
So far 2". Most since early this morning.
Looks like there is still more out there but a small break now.
That would be nice as we might be able to get out for out morning walk.

This might be a good start to the season.
Frank

Our nonofficial 6" rain gauge had 4.5" in it last night (total since Wed. night). This morning it was overflowing. No damage from the wind, thank goodness. We're about 45 miles east of Florence, Or.

4llamas said:
Our nonofficial 6" rain gauge had 4.5" in it last night (total since Wed. night). This morning it was overflowing. No damage from the wind, thank goodness. We're about 45 miles east of Florence, Or.
4llamas,we have friends in Eugene and they have had some nice rain but little wind.That's a good think.
Here in the Monterey area we just have had some nice rain,but the threat of flooding in the 2 big burn areas is possible.
This storm is dumping a lot of rain over our coastal mountains by Big Sur. That will help flow some water into the 2 lakes that supply us with our water.
Stay safe.
Frank

Pretty much done here. Really warm storm, felt tropical.

0.41" in Salinas over the last 24 hours.

High temps for next Friday & Saturday are predicted to be in the mid to upper 80's.

My brother in Corvallis just reported that a big fir fell on their house last night. Hopefully not too much damage to the rafters. A new roof will be required. It's still windy there.

takesiteasy said:
My brother in Corvallis just reported that a big fir fell on their house last night. Hopefully not too much damage to the rafters. A new roof will be required. It's still windy there.
That's bad news! I'm sorry for your brother! We worry about trees as well.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
That's bad news! I'm sorry for your brother! We worry about trees as well.

ski3pin said:
Bad news indeed. We hope the repairs and all go well.
Thanks for your thoughts. They live in a grove of big trees and have been fortunate before this. Lots of trees down over the years but they always missed the house until this one.

In the Sierra Nevada these passes are now closed due to snow - Ebbetts, Monitor, Sonora, and Tioga. Let's hope the closures last through the winter! :)

Back
Top Bottom