Weight GVWR

buckland

Site Team
I am concerned about weight. The camper/truck handles great with the Ride Rite air bags. I went to a CAT weight scale on our way camping. Not heavily packed as last year's trip. The scale (wrong?) said 5630 lbs. My GVWR on truck door says 5100 lbs. I'd be interested in Toyota Tacoma owners (ext. cab 4WD 4 cyl.)and their experience with weight limits and problems thereof.
Thanks

Not too long ago there was a post about a Tacoma with a bent frame due to air bags and (I guess) heavy usage. Otherwise, Cort and Kodachrome did suspension mods to accommodate loaded campers. You might check their posts.

Not too long ago there was a post about a Tacoma with a bent frame due to air bags and (I guess) heavy usage. Otherwise, Cort and Kodachrome did suspension mods to accommodate loaded campers. You might check their posts.

If I recall correctly, that was les and he said it was because the airbags were installed wrong and was not due to any frame weakness.

I am concerned about weight. The camper/truck handles great with the Ride Rite air bags. I went to a CAT weight scale on our way camping. Not heavily packed as last year's trip. The scale (wrong?) said 5630 lbs. My GVWR on truck door says 5100 lbs. I'd be interested in Toyota Tacoma owners (ext. cab 4WD 4 cyl.)and their experience with weight limits and problems thereof.
Thanks

I'm curious, why do you suspect that the truck scale was incorrect. Did you weight the truck empty less the camper on the scale? When I first got my camper I weighted the truck separately, then weighted the truck with camper dry and then loaded the truck and camper. You would be susprised on how much those little things add up on weight.

I live in the boonies and haven't done the weight w/o camper, we weighed on the last trip further into the boonies. But I did look at the truck specs and it was supposed to be about 3850 lbs wet weight. I can't not take beer! Seems that the weight of the camper dry with 2 people and a dog would hit the max of 5100 lbs and that's without gear, canoe, water etc.
I am hoping some Tacoma people will reassure me that being over the 'suggested' max is reasonable.
thanks

I live in the boonies and haven't done the weight w/o camper, we weighed on the last trip further into the boonies. But I did look at the truck specs and it was supposed to be about 3850 lbs wet weight. I can't not take beer! Seems that the weight of the camper dry with 2 people and a dog would hit the max of 5100 lbs and that's without gear, canoe, water etc.
I am hoping some Tacoma people will reassure me that being over the 'suggested' max is reasonable.
thanks

Whoa! no beer, that sucks.

First generation Tacoma's, 199x-2004, have a frame weakness behind the rear axle. Second generation 2005-2012+ don't have any that I have ever heard of. CBI Off-Road makes plates that are welded on to fix the problem on the 1st gens.

I don't worry about weight on my second gen. Just do what you can to not take extra junk, and keep the weight low and between the axles if possible. I've got a 20 gallon water tank, I never fill it all the way, that is a lot of water and lbs.

http://www.cbioffroadfab.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=27_28&products_id=98

Thanks... my 2001 has a new frame as of last year (recall) new shocks front and rear, air bags. It seems to handle it with ease. I have been considering putting a 2"sub-frame (2"x32"x72")to put a grey/water holding tank. On the Cape Cod beaches you can camp if you have a holding tank and toilet. All vehicles must leave the beach every 3 days and be pumped out. I am investigating a retrofit with a porti-potty at the right side rear of camper (empty space) with the pump nozzle at the rear. Any ideas on this?

Bent frame post is here:
http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/5598/page__st__10
Lower on the page is the simple fix.

Thanks for replies, I think though not certain, the airbags don't look properly installed in the photos. I have had only good results with mine( Though I did not use bolts as shipped, I went and bought stainless as the stock ones were soft).

Buckland

My 1999 X-cab, 4 cyl, 5-speed manual, 4 WD. Empty weight 3600 pounds. With my new Eagle shell 4440 pounds empty. I figure with 2 people and camping gear I will be close to or over 5100 pounds.

Eagle shell with no options weighs around 550 pounds. Mine has two cabinets, a counter, sink, gas struts, Fiama awning, auxiliary battery, fantastic fan, and screen door = 840 pounds. If you have the regular camper with refrigerator, I suppose your dry weight pushing 1200-1500 pounds. The weight adds up fast.

I have a custom 5 leaf spring pack that rated to hold 1500 pounds. The camper sits level on my truck fully loaded with 2 people. I have D rated tires and Bilstein shocks and plan to go to E rated tires when these wear out.

I have had to learn to drive it differently. Much more 3rd and 4th gear driving especially going up any hills as the 4 cyl doesn't have enough torque. Milege so far is city 16.5, 50/50 17.3, hiway 20.5 at 65 mph.

Buckland

My 1999 is X-cab, 4 cyl, 5-speed manual, 4 WD. Empty weight 3600 pounds. With my new Eagle shell 4440 pounds empty. I figure with 2 people and camping gear I will be close to or over 5100 pounds.

Eagle shell with no options weighs around 550 pounds. Mine has two cabinets, a counter, gas struts, Fiami awning (bet that weighs 100 pounds by itself), auxiliary battery, fantastic fan, and screen door = 840 pounds. If you have the regular camper with refrigerator, I suppose your dry weight pushing 1200-1500 pounds. The weight adds up fast.

I have a custom 5 spring pack that holds 1500 pounds. The camper sits level on my truck. I have D rated tires and Bilstein shocks and plan to go to E rated tires when these wear out.

I have had to learn to drive it differently then when I had a Flip Pac on it. Much more 4th gear driving especially going up any hills as the 4 cyl doesn't have enough torque. Milege so far is city 17.3, 50/50 18.3, hiway 20.5 at 65 mph.

Thanks for the details Jim, I am off to the North Maine Woods... wild... 75 miles 'in' on shale roads... last time it did fine... It is difficult to put more $ into the truck, But I will if I have to.

Buckland,

I have a 99 x-cab 4 cyl Tacoma 4WD with a 2012 Eagle shell. Camper weight with 2 cabinets, aux battery, couch cushions (no roll-over bed) fantastic fan, melomine counter, Fiama awning - 840 pounds. Total weight without passengers, food, beer, clothes 4440. I figure I am about 5100 - 5200 pounds ready to go to the Death Valley Hot springs for a week.

Well, just back from 2 weeks in the North Maine Woods...wild with lots of stream /beaver dam crossings... Before I went I decided to have an an extra leaf added to my stock 3 pack on the Tacoma. Wow... big difference. I am confident that it handles the load very well and with the leveling by ride rite air bag the camper does well even on the roughest 'road'.
The attached photos are having to have to use the canoe to scout out the road submerged for 150 yds... 20" deep then just rode over the beaver dam in 2 places! (I'm sure he fixed it pronto)
ps tried to attach 2 photos but wasn't successful.
Thanks for the advice

Back
Top Bottom