West Coast Of Canada To Albuquerque To Buy 2003 Hawk

JRB

Wish me luck folks. My wife and I are leaving Sunday to drive from Kamloops BC to Albuquerque NM to buy that 2003 Hawk. The luck part is that we've only seen photos of it. Thanks to RonSchon for encouraging me to take the plunge. One problem I see so far is that we have a short (69") box GMC pickup and the back eye-bolts on the camper are 68.5" back. This means that the rear turnbuckles will be virtually vertical rather that pulling at an angle like FWC recommends. Anyone else running this way? Has anyone ever moved the factory installed eye-bolts on their FWC camper? We'll keep you posted on our progress.

what year is your GMC ?

crew cab with the full 4 doors and the shorter 5 1/2' truck bed ?

I might be able to give you some tips & tricks

wait to hear from you

=========================================================================================

... we have a short (69") box GMC pickup ...

what year is your GMC ?

crew cab with the full 4 doors and the shorter 5 1/2' truck bed ?

I might be able to give you some tips & tricks

wait to hear from you

=========================================================================================
Hi Stan, My truck is a 2007 "Classic" which means it is really a 2006 that they didn't sell until 2007. It is a full size Crew Cab with 4 full doors and an extra short 69" box. Any hints and tips you have would be appreciated.

As long as your tail gate opening has 60" wide accross the top, and 60" wide accross the bottom, you should be OK.

It sounds like you do have the older body style truck -- that is good -- you should be good to go for fit !

Very worst case you might need to add some 5/8" wood runners under the camper so the camper is not sitting directly on the bed rails of your truck. But if memory serves me right, you won't even need to do that.

Usually on the older campers like the one you are buying, we usually put the front eye bolts all the way in the front corners of the truck bed.

See pictuire below.

And my old notes say that we used to put the rear eye bolts in the truck bed approx. 58" - 60" back from the front of the truck bed, and as close to the bed wall as possible.

Please call Chicali in the shop if you would like the exact measurements.

800-242-1442

But for your ride home, I would recommend bringing a decent set of tie down ratchet straps (average price $ 25.00 US Dollars) and strap the camper down to the truck bed. Example, strap from the rear jacks to the rear bumper of your truck, and a strap from the front camper jacks down under the truck bed to the truck frame somewhere.

This would be the quick & easier way to ensure a safe drive home.

If you can put the front turn buckles, or front and rear turn buckles on, that would be EXCELLENT !

More is always better.

Then when you get home you can get the truck wiried up properly and get the rear eye bolts installed in your truck bed in the best locations.

have a fun & safe trip !

Attachments

• eye bolt-2.jpg
    eye bolt-2.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 131
Thanks Stan, I think I will just tie it down with ratchet straps like you suggest. I will install the turnbuckles when I get back home. It sounds like you are not too concerned that the rear turnbuckles will be pulling straight down rather than pulling at an angle towards the rear bumper. Is that correct?

JRB

was looking at that one as well, when it first appeared. looks to be a very nice unit.
the option that was not there for me was the extended cab over.
and the drive was a bit, but what the hell. good luck.

ps are u a flyfisher

You'll be coming right by the Colorado get together that officially starts next Friday. If you can stop by Eureka, a few miles outside of Silverton that would be cool. It's an easy road so even if you are not fully anchored it shouldn't be an issue. Hwy 550 is a great road anyway and takes you right to Abq.

Congrats,

What a great road trip to break in your new camper!

Enjoy your trip and good luck with the camper, hope it works out all around for you. It was on our drive home last April from Santa Fe that we made our decision to find an FWC of our own. On the drive we saw so many places we wanted to pull off the beaten path and explore. Best wishes!

You'll be coming right by the Colorado get together that officially starts next Friday. If you can stop by Eureka, a few miles outside of Silverton that would be cool. It's an easy road so even if you are not fully anchored it shouldn't be an issue. Hwy 550 is a great road anyway and takes you right to Abq.

Barko1, what Colorado get together are you referring to? How would I get information about it? Sounds interesting.

Barko1, what Colorado get together are you referring to? How would I get information about it? Sounds interesting.

Check in the Private forum for the 2 threads on the Colorado Rally for info!

Congrats on the new Hawk!

mtn

JRB,

When I bought my first camper, I attached the turnbuckles to the factory tie down points in the bed of my truck (2000 full size GM) I actually ran it that way for a while (against Stan's advise) the bed hooks eventually bent a little (after a few months) but it would work fine to get you home (and down a few side roads along the way) add the straps as Stan suggested and you'll be set. Also it seems to me that the rear turnbuckles are not so crucial, they mostly keep the camper from wiggling around in the bed (Stan correct me if I'm wrong).

I was through Kamloops a few months ago. Sounds like you have a great trip ahead!

Enjoy.

Check in the Private forum for the 2 threads on the Colorado Rally for info!

Congrats on the new Hawk!

mtn

Not many details, just show up in Eureka, an old mining now ghost town. 260+ miles from Abq. Spend a night or two. Sounds like several of us will be arriving Thursday, plus Silverton is a cool town. I think it is right around 9300' and from there you can head North, Colorado Monument, Vernal Utah and Dinasaur National Monument, Flaming Gorge, the Tetons, etc. as you head North.

well jim and judy just left with their new (to them) four wheel camper. they are headed home but are going to take it a bit slower and enjoy the western united states. We suggested stopping in Durango and taking the train to Silverton then taking the highway from Cortez to Ouray. We hope to hear from them in a week or so about their adventures.

Back
Top Bottom