What are the best stairs?

bigbluemountain

Hello...we're newly registered users, but have enjoyed reading your posts for quite a while.
We are finally getting our All-Terrain camper in October, and wonder what you folks recommend
for stairs (for getting from the ground into the camper).

I see there are a few collapsable versions with a railing, which I prefer, and would love to know your thoughts on the best style/brands, etc.

Thanks, everyone!

I don't like to carry anything I don't have to so I have a hitch step. I also own some accordion stairs but they just take up too much space.

I see a lot of people with plastic stairs that are light enough to throw on top of stuff if necessary. I've never seen any stairs with a hand rail but haven't looked.

Welcome to the forum, bigbluemountain, and congrats on ordering your ATC!

There are some threads on steps if you search around on the forum. I guess what steps you will like will depend on your particular needs. I have collapsible aluminum scissor steps and like them, because my dog can use them. Don't think she could handle a hitch-mounted step or some plastic folding steps. There is a grab handle on the camper that is enough security for me when using steps without a rail.

I like my hitch mounted steps. They are the first thing out of the camper and the last thing in. I store them against the read side dinette seat with a bungie cord.

I may have to start carrying my step again at least until I can teach the dog to jump up. He hops up on the picnic table, I don't know why he doesn't think he can't jump into the camper.

JHa6av8r said:
After seeing a post here, I recently changed to the Xtendon & Climb Stable Step WT3. One of the best things I've purchased for the camper.

http://www.xtendandclimb.com/wt-3.html
Our camper came with a similar set of stairs. The dogs like it and do do we. I figured out a way to mount the stairs to the back of our Hawk. They are also essential when we load kayaks.

Lighthawk said:
Our camper came with a similar set of stairs. The dogs like it and do do we. I figured out a way to mount the stairs to the back of our Hawk. They are also essential when we load kayaks.
Any pics of the mount set-up?

Also, does the handle fold down on the WT3?

shoestring said:
Any pics of the mount set-up?

Also, does the handle fold down on the WT3?
I've written about it here (scroll down)

I should document the setup with photos. The ladder sits on top of the factory rear steps. I fabbed a piece of 1/4" aluminum which slips through the step, locking the ladder into place. A strap secures the top to the upper step. I've placed heavy felt at the few points of contact and have a few scuffs from this mount. But then, my camper has a few scuffs in a variety of places from good use. :p

Our handle / railing folds down and we rarely use it. I could use it when we load kayaks, but the treads are very wide and I feel okay without the front guard rail when loading boats.

Back
Top Bottom