What do I need?

Myfotos

I have a 2007 Tacoma 4x4 with an ARE shell which has been okay for overnight stays. I am planning on buying a Class B van in five years or so when I retire, but want to take longer trips until then, so am looking at buying a pop-up. What I need to know (in very layman's terms since I know nothing about trucks), is what modifications should I make to my truck to carry something like the ATC Bobcat. Since I don't have room to store the pop-up, it would always be on the truck.

Thanks in advance,
Bill

Bill;

You should have your brake system checkedd over by a competent mechanic prior to installing the bobcat. At very minimum you will need be needing a good set of load range E tires and helper springs or airbags.

I would start with helper springs because they're cheap and don't require any permanent modifications to the vehicle. Drive that around for a while and get a feel for how the truck responds. You can always add airbags later (which are also very helpful for leveling if you bring along a small bike pump). The purpose of either of these is to raise the vehicle's center of gravity back to where it is supposed to be, allowing the brake, steering, and suspension systems all to function as they were originally engineered. Since now your vehicle weighs 1,000 pounds more than it used to these things will all seem a little "off."

Depending on your driving style, you may also decide to add a rear sway bar. This will stiffen the rear of the vehicle from side to side, like when going around corners. What you feel when going around corners is called "body roll", and swaybars greatly reduce this. Your truck already has one on the front.

You will need a set of mounting brackets and hardware to secure the camper to. ATC or FWC will have this solution in a kit.

If you get a camper with a house battery and want to charge it while you're driving you wil also need to have a trailer wiring kit installed. Your truck may come with it already, it's a round 7 pin receptacle with a flip lid.

I would also recommend upgrading to a better set of shocks (old man emu or the like) when yours become due. No rush there.

Also, when you get the tires - bring the truck with the camper already on and full of gear so the alignment specs will be correct.

I carry a Bobcat on a 2006 Tacoma with Firestone airbags and the TSP leaf spring upgrade. Tires are P265-75 R16 Dueler RVT. I don't do extreme 4 wheeling and I do pack light. This has worked well for me so far. Brakes are not going to stop you as quickly as when there is no camper and driving defensively is a must.

Guys,

Thanks much. When I started thinking about getting a pop-up, it didn't occur to me that I would need to make modifications to my truck until I started reading the postings here. I'll need to get a tune-up in a few hundred miles, so will talk with the mechanics about pricing and installation. I won't be doing any heavy-duty off-roading, basically just dirt roads here and there, and the only equipment I would carry is my camera stuff.

On another subject, how safe is the power coming from the 110 outlet in the back of the truck. Do I need to worry about power surges if I plug my laptop in to recharge while I'm driving? If not, it would come in handy just with the shell I have now, before I get the pop-up.

Thanks again,
Bill

Bill in Oakland said:
I have a 2007 Tacoma 4x4 with an ARE shell which has been okay for overnight stays. I am planning on buying a Class B van in five years or so when I retire, but want to take longer trips until then, so am looking at buying a pop-up. What I need to know (in very layman's terms since I know nothing about trucks), is what modifications should I make to my truck to carry something like the ATC Bobcat. Since I don't have room to store the pop-up, it would always be on the truck.

Thanks in advance,
Bill
Bill you might also check with Marty at ATC to ask his recommendations on what is needed to carry the camper.Which ever you get ATC/FWC you will enjoy using it.
We have a Bobcat on a 02 Tundra and like the feel of how it drives down the road.
Frank

Bill in Oakland said:
...On another subject, how safe is the power coming from the 110 outlet in the back of the truck. Do I need to worry about power surges if I plug my laptop in to recharge while I'm driving? If not, it would come in handy just with the shell I have now, before I get the pop-up. ...
Bill, I wired an outlet from the factory inverter into the cab of my Tacoma and use it to run the computer and charge phones etc. Works great. I have a Mac laptop and use the factory charger which I think has some capacity to manage power variations. I also wired an outlet into the camper fed from the bed outlet. We don't use that one much because the ignition has to be on and it isn't too convenient. But it is there if we need it.

Thanks again. I've always been leery of risking a power surge through the inverter. Nice to now know that I can recharge my Mac laptop the following day after watching a movie and not worry about frying it.

Bill

Back
Top Bottom