What do you bring/pack in your FWC?

I've read in a self-defense article that bear spray can be fairly effective. It makes sense to me, someone who's not likely to buy a handgun.

The single platform works surprisingly well. Two steps, in or out, but you don't have to duck as much going in. Also the platform is useful for loading, or sitting on, while talking with the cook. I'm 62. It may get harder in five or ten years. Fit a nice piece of straight grain fir to the hitch, or oak, if you like. Screw and glue the plywood. It will develop a little play after awhile, the 2x2 inside the hitch, but you get used to it. Mine is cut to fit flat on the camper floor, side to side,maybe not exactly 24—I added two runners for the shower platform

I've read in studies that bear spray is pretty effective, better than a handgun against a bear anyway. Plus, you're more likely to hit something with the spray than an handgun unless you practice a lot. I always carry bear spray in grizzly country and have had a few close encounters but never had to use it.

Stalking Light said:
I've read in studies that bear spray is pretty effective, better than a handgun against a bear anyway. Plus, you're more likely to hit something with the spray than an handgun unless you practice a lot. I always carry bear spray in grizzly country and have had a few close encounters but never had to use it.
I'm going to pass on commenting on the effectivenss of either spray or firearm simply because the tool is a personal choice.

But a more important question, when was the last time you timed your draw and discharge and measured your accuracy, regardless if bear spray or handgun? How about immediately after, running 40 yards and doing 20 pushups?

One of my favorite questions of those I encounter in the back country carrying bear spray in a holster, "when was the last time you discharged bear spray"? I probably asked the question 50 times this past summer. Only one person admitted to ever discharging bear spray, and he was evaluating the range of the spray, not discharging it at a bear!

IMO, the more germaine question, while under extreme stress, can you hit your target with maximum effectiveness to neutralize the attack? And the answer to this question has nothing to do with the tool but rather a function of training and mindset. Is there any difference between a grizzly bear charging from 25' or a home invasion/encounter taking a serious turn for the worse? If you have made the earlier decision to formulate a plan of self defense, can you react with maxmium effectiveness in order to win? I would submit the answer to this question is, have you prepared yourself mentally and physically to overcome fear and the adrinalin dump so you can perform giving youself the best chance for a successful outcome, survival?

As someone who has been around mindset training and hostile environments, if you fail to prepare and trian your mind to deal with life threatening events, your chances for success are not very good, regardless of the event. Yes, you might get lucky. But, I'd much prefer a combination of skill and a bit of luck.

So rather than going to the store and purchasing a product, a security blanket, give some thought about trianing your mind and body to deal with a life threatening event. Psychologists have developed mental training programs to help warriors perform in extremely stressful environments. Mental training is just as important as weapon training and marksmanship. Physcologists assist top atheletes to overcome mental hurdles to achieve optimum performance through mental training programs.

Today, the USMC goes to great length training Marines the Combat Hunter Program. While the program is designed for combat, its principles can be applied to any generic life threatening event. In esscence, the program teaches one how to observe the signs leading to a potential life threatening event allowing one to avoid or greatly reduce the life threatneing event altogether. Avoiding the event is called being "Left of Bang". If you are in a stiuation where Grizz is charging you from 25 feet away, you are "right of bang". "Right of Bang" is being forced to react, right now.

I'm not plugging the book. But, it is well worth the read if interested in how to begin the process of mentally preparing your chances avoiding life threatening encounters. LEFT OF BANG (Patrick Van Horne and Jason A. Riley)

Further, I submit, if you are going to spend any time in bear country, especially Grizz Country, learn the signs indicating the prescence of bears. Learn to distinquish recent tracks, markings and scat from not so fresh. Often times you can pick up the signs long before an encounter and backtrack out of the area. Learning the basics of tracking and 'sign' can be learned in a weekend tracking course. Further, a tracking course will likely open up an entire new world in the back country.

My 2 cents, spend some time and coin to train your mind, then decide on the tool to carry.

Advmoto18 said:
<snip> Further, I submit, if you are going to spend any time in bear country, especially Grizz Country, learn the signs indicating the prescence of bears. Learn to distinquish recent tracks, markings and scat from not so fresh. Often times you can pick up the signs long before an encounter and backtrack out of the area. Learning the basics of tracking and 'sign' can be learned in a weekend tracking course. Further, a tracking course will likely open up an entire new world in the back country.

My 2 cents, spend some time and coin to train your mind, then decide on the tool to carry.

I'm not plugging the book. But, it is well worth the read if interested in how to begin the process of mentally preparing your chances avoiding life threatening encounters. LEFT OF BANG (Patrick Van Horne and Jason A. Riley) <snip>
Some great advice here. I definitely agree that being mentally trained is of utmost importance. Without that, all the tools you have in an emergency situation won't mean squat. And that takes practice.

I've been wanting to take a tracking course, thank you for the reminder. I'll look one up today.

To bring this back to the OP, I put that book in my Amazon cart to bring with me in my FWC. :)

Advmoto18 said:
Always in camper and frequently used:
2 sleeping pillows
Queen sheet set (800 thread count)
Tea Kettle
Boudin coffee press
Tea seeper
2 sets Snowpeak fork, spoon, knife
8" Chef knife
Paring knife
10" non-stick skillet
2 throw pillows for dinette (makes leaning into corner while reading much more comfortable)
Bug spray
Citronella (sp?) candles
REI rollup table great for cooking and eating meals outside
1sq meter glue down carpet square for wiping shoes off before entering camper. I stow the carpet square between the bed sidewall and camper when traveling. I use a length of 550 cord to tie off the carpet square to the bed to keep it in the slot.
Clean Waste Privacy Shelter (wife insists upon this item for showering regardless of our location)

We carry two camp chairs on the floor of the truck (crew cab).

Seasonal:
We pack clothes according to the season
Pacific Coast queen down comforter with 600tpi duvet.

Food:
Coffee and tea are always onboard.
We menu plan and buy food for only the number of days (plus 1) we plan to be in the back country. Since we are east of the Mississppi, there are very few remote, dispersed camping sites south of New England. As such, we are generally within a few miles of a grocer or convenience store.
How do you like Clean Waste Privacy Shelter ? What is size of the unit when collapsed?

hoyden said:
I've been wanting to take a tracking course, thank you for the reminder. I'll look one up today.
I know I got long winded and off topic, but, I feel the subject too important to gloss over.

Several very good tracking schools and instructors in AZ immediately come to mind.

super doody said:
How do you like Clean Waste Privacy Shelter ? What is size of the unit when collapsed?
Wife loves it and its the first thing she checks to make sure is in the truck before we leave!

~ 32"x 9" in its own stuff sack.

Advmoto18 said:
I know I got long winded and off topic, but, I feel the subject too important to gloss over.

Several very good tracking schools and instructors in AZ immediately come to mind.
Do you have links? Thanks!

Preparation in FWC isn't just food and water. First Aid and knowledge of ones surroundings are important. I've been thinking a lot about the various terrain and weather and critters that I might encounter while out with my FWC (I can't wait!)

I need to put together a First Aid Kit and figure out good storage location for it.
I'm also thinking about converting the back seat area of my truck for functional and organized storage / useful space.

[SIZE=11pt]-We carry this cook set which has everything you need. We do carry extra regular sized plates as the plates in the cook set are too small. The only draw back is you have to unpacking [/SIZE][SIZE=14.6667px]everything[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt] every time you need to use it. It has special coating so food/liquid heats faster[/SIZE]
-jet boil for quick coffee and warm up of milk in the morning. I can probably get rid of this but I already had it for backpacking
-moving blanket which we use as entry mat. We take our shoes off before getting into the camper. This help with keeping the dirt/dust down
-stick ladder for getting surfboards off the top of the camper
-dish towels for drying dishes and wiping things up.
-food scraper to minimize paper towel usage for dish clean up
-hammock
-tools, air compressor and tire repair kit
-lots of baby stuff
-baby carrier backpack and day pack with first aid kit

In addition to paying attention to what I bring, I'm also pay attention to where to put things. I try to keep the aisle of the camper empty so can I have access to everything with the top down.

I have a side dinette so here is how I pack things:

-3 folding chairs, pack n play on the carpeted area between the window and side dinette. Along with sunshade and aluminum table
-bedding rolled up on the seat. I use the table to wedge the bedding and everything above.
-my sockets underneath the seat along with air compressor, tire repair kit and another tool bag.
-2X6 leveling blocks in the port hole near the turn buckles
-trash bags, work gloves and dog food in the propane storage compartment. I'm thinking about removing one of the tanks for more storage.

At sundown we were in Martin's Meadow CA dispersed campground when a bear started hitting the camps one after another. Someone fired off a rifle and the bear went to the next camp where they were blowing the truck horn, not to much effect. It looked like it was gonna be a long night. So we dropped the top and packed in five minutes, and found another, better spot off a side road a few miles away before last light. FWC mobility is awesome.

We have fiddled with the bed and bedding for comfort and warmth, but now it all, except for pillows, stays on the bed even with the top down.

I like seeing out the rear view mirror, even though I have side mirrors and a backup camera, so we make sure what is on the floor while we are traveling doesn't block visibility.

I level the cab with a standard bullseye level, and haven't had enough of a problem just using rocks.

Our fifty pound Lab stays on the bed with us till lights out. We usually watch a movie on my laptop and make jiffy pop popcorn. Her crate is cloth and foldable and we set it on the counter above the sink, attaching it with a carabiner to the bungy cord clip on the fabric sidewall for extra security.

I like carrying the Delorme Inreach Satellite texting device with basic service, meaning, if we got really stuck, we could reach the outside world. It also has a SAR emergency button, which gives me peace of mind when we're climbing in the backcountry.

Except for the first aid kit, all the tools, tow straps and shackles are stowed away in the miscellaneous small compartments, which I still have not filled yet. I leave a tiny flashlight next to the water tank, in case I want make a visual check of our water supply.

One cool thing about my Tacoma which totally surprised me is how useful the navigation map is for National forest dirt roads. So far it seems like it's all there. We carry a ton of other ways to navigate, but it hasn't let us down yet.

One more thing: I carry a surfing longboard on top of the camper about once a week. We have the stock rack which I covered with pipe insulation foam using tape and pipe clamps. Because I didn't want to carry a ladder, I got a stiff thick piece of nylon rope and attached an open loop of it to the front rack, using double pipe clamps and tape. When I want to load the surfboard I thread the fin end through the open loop, then just tie down the other end, standing on the FWC folding steps. Even without a ladder it is possible to reach the front end standing on the floorboards on the passenger side, providing the top is down.

The top folds down even with your bedding on? That's great! I suppose it squishes down enough....

I didn't know that seeing out the rear-view mirror would still be an option. Is this normal with the FWC? (Fleet + Side Dinette)

Looks like I'll hafta research Delorme and Spot. I only know of the Spot, so this is new to me.

In my camper I've developed a fairly good system depending on where I'm going and how long and who's going with me. If I go alone I bring a single camp chair but if I have other people along then I bring enough or theirs too.

REI Alcove-Great shade cover, packs down to a fairly small footprint.
REI Camp Kitchen
Sleeping Bag(s)
Camera bag/tripod
Clothing bag
Water- 3-6 gal
Collapseable table
HiLift- sits on the floor under the cushion overhang
11lb propane tank-on shelf near big window on passenger side
Kelty air mattress
ARB Air compressor
Recovery gear bag
Lantern holder-used for flying flags, USA/Blackbeard
Linen bag- pillows, extra blankets
Solar panels

Three plastic totes:
Tote 1:
Firewood-this way the wood does not get all over the camper floor.

Tote 2:
Camp gear-extra propane, stove, axe, small solar lights for around the REI Alcove, solar shower, extra tent stakes, flare gun, fire extinguisher, 550 cord, other misc stuff.

Tote 3:
Kitchen tote. Cooking utensils etc

On a recent trip I found out I could stack the totes 3 high which allows for better upright stowage of the solar panels.

I have a front dinette setup (don't know about the other configurations). Visibility in the rear view is good enough to see if a there's a car is behind you, and at what distance. With the Tacoma's side mirrors, it's sometimes difficult to see if you're being tailgated.

I don't think it's unusual for the bedding to fit under the lowered top. There's actually some space above the mattress, and then the squish factor, the top brackets add some nice leverage to the squishing, though now we don't even really need that. We found the stock mattress too firm, so we went through various additions and subtractions, types of bedding, but now we're good, and the top squishes easily, even with the King size bedding folded double.

The advantage of the Delorme SE over the Spot is that it can send, and receive. The Dorlome Explorer has a more elaborate navigation system, which we don't really need.

BobM said:
Here's some stuff I added:

attachicon.gif
FWC items I pack.xlsx
Holy list, Batman! That's SWEET! with links and all!

I just fixed the spreadsheet, one of the links were wrong. It was fun to compile and have a list so I can replace items if needed. I also have a portable folding 100w solar panel in a bag. Since I didn't use it since I bought the roof mount, I will probably sell on Craigslist

Hoyden, we have a 2012 Fleet with a side dinette. Note, we generally eat outside so the rear dinette seat stays folded down and we have a nice lounging area. Hefty 29 qt containers work really well in the Fleet. You can place 2 in the foot area of the dinette - almost a perfect fit for 2 containers and they are out of the aisle. A third one fits perfectly in the aft storage area under the rear dinette seat cushion. We put our "ready-to-go" kit in the Hefty tub and always have it in the camper under the seat cushion.

Hefty 29-Quart Clear Tote with Latching Lid
Item #: 336490 | Model #: 7102HFT-10-111-44

Back
Top Bottom