What do you leave to occupy your site?

I carry a couple of "traffic cones" -- 12-inch tall and safety orange. It gives an "official" look to the claim.

I just spread the campsite with Bulldog ants (Myrmecia pyriformis). When I return, I have them trained to go back in their kennel

We arrived at our campground, paid for our site and then went around the lake to the boat ramp to get the aluminum into the water to come back over to where are camp was. By the time we got back some guy had pulled his RV in and started unloading his gear...I politely showed him my reciept and informed him he would have to move out.

That didn't set well with him so we went back to the Ranger campsite and I explained that I had paid for my site, went to the boat ramp and then returned to find the guy in "our" site. The Ranger asked for my receipt and then asked the other guy for his...

To which he explained he intended on setting up and then paying for "his" site.

Well, I think you know what the Ranger told him....yep....SOP is to find your site (if it does not have a reservation or occupied tag on the number post), leave Mama there while you go pay for it, after paying you can return to "your" site and set up....not the other way around.

He was really bummed out at both of us but did move out....it was a great site just 100 feet to the lake down an embankment to a small beach where you could tie up your boat with the other campers.

^ Which, I guess is a situation this thread is about trying to avoid.

We like to pick our own site even when there is an attendant who wants to place us and there have been times when we could have picked someone else's spot, not knowing the site was being been paid for at the same time. Or could have driven back to pay and another guy settled in before he registered. Just been lucky, and of course I would always go to try register before "setting up".

I find the whole camp ground thing rife with potential problems. It's quite the game to be pick a spot and not regret it ... and I've stopped saying "at least the neighbours are quiet" until after we've departed !

I've found this to be very effective.

latest

No problem with any gear missing to date :D

We use one or more of:

- Just the paper payment tag.
- A blue tarp, 7x7.
- A "campsite occupied" sign purchased from Amazon.
- A kids 4x4 tent, staked down with metal stakes which go in and out easily.

What we use depends on how busy the campground is, how long we will stay, and how good/firm the gate/registration is.

So far (knock on wood), the "campsite occupied" sign and the tent have worked 100%.

When entering a campground that has an "iron ranger" we get an envelope first then find a site fill out the info leave the tag hang the "occupied sign"then go and deposit the fee.
Hasn't been a problem so far.

Ted ,a few years ago had a problem while camping at Kings Canyon. He chose a site,placed out personal items on the table hung the tag then went to pay, then returning to his site found all their camping gear placed to one side of the site and a "family" moved in to his spot.
They felt it was theirs since "no one " was around. It wasn't a nice ending the family felt it was their site even though Ted had a
paid tag. The ranger had to get involved.

The last thing I want out camping is any confrontation. Life's too short for that.
Frank

I leave my Wife.......come to think of it (hold on for a second)....yes, she is still there......time to head back to Oregon.

I carry an old backpacking tent that has outlived its usefulness, packed it takes up very little room. Put it up if I have to leave the campsite for any reason. If someone steals it I am not out anything useful.

I always walk back to the pay station; I like to walk and the pup needs to burn some energy after riding a while.

jim

Wandering Sagebrush said:
I bring signs that say the site is occupied, plus I take phone photos of the receipt for the site in case a ranger needs to be involved. Never had anything ripped off (yet).
We do the same thing: photograph receipt attached to campsite post. I always put it in a small baggy to protect against rain. We also use a very small orange cone to place at our campsite. We put it the bathroom when not in use.

I can’t imagine why people steal things like chairs and levelers? If we stole something, I have no clue where to put it. We have just enough room for essentials and the what in case items.

The reason we prefer boondocking is because there is no one to take your spot you paid for. If you leave and return to find it occupied you just move in. I have had camp hosts insist we leave something and I tell them sorry, we have nothing that we can part with.

JaSAn said:
I carry an old backpacking tent that has outlived its usefulness, packed it takes up very little room. Put it up if I have to leave the campsite for any reason. If someone steals it I am not out anything useful.

I always walk back to the pay station; I like to walk and the pup needs to burn some energy after riding a while.

jim
We find a spot, park, hubby sets up while I walk the pups to the pay station. Sometimes, I get lost on the return trip. Or, I forget the site number.

How many of you bring your checkbook along? I don't and more than a few times I've been annoyed when I didn't have the correct change for a self pay campground. I suppose I should toss a couple checks in the glove box (anyone actually put gloves in there?) just for such times.

craig333 said:
How many of you bring your checkbook along? I don't and more than a few times I've been annoyed when I didn't have the correct change for a self pay campground. I suppose I should toss a couple checks in the glove box (anyone actually put gloves in there?) just for such times.
I do, and by-check is how I usually pay for campsites (those that I haven't already reserved and paid for).
In fact, in this era of debit cards and online/automatic bill payments, the majority of listings in my check record are for campsites. Really!

MarkBC said:
I do, and by-check is how I usually pay for campsites (those that I haven't already reserved and paid for).
In fact, in this era of debit cards and online/automatic bill payments, the majority of listings in my check record are for campsites. Really!
Bingo! :)

craig333 said:
I have a lockbox in the camper that I keep a book of checks, extra cash and extra truck key fob. I pay campgrounds by check.

jim

Since the majority of my camping is done in Death Valley in areas that do not have specific sites I usually leave most of my camp in the site if I go off for some hikes or offroading. Fortunately I've not had anything stolen. I've also not had to deal with others who decide to set up in my actual site. I like the idea of collapsible cones and a minefield sign. I do fly the Blackbeard flag. Not many people know the true meaning behind it so it isn't likely to ward off thieves.

Back in the late 70's, I actually developed a "Campsite Occupied" sign that was weather resistant and flexible plastic and was silk screened. We tried to sell them to the various chains and had little luck. No one seemed to think they were necessary. I probably had 100 made up as samples and still must have 10 with a couple in my van.

However, I long ago quit "camping", especially in organized campgrounds. My camping is normally an overnight stop on public lands where I park in a dispersed site. I rarely see other "campers". In the morning, I pull the pop-top down and toss my chair back in the rig and off I go.

A bit off topic, but more than once we arrived at some remote location at some Sierra Nevada lake and found only rustic campfire circles. Sure thing...about 5pm one afternoon after a short hike around the lake, a family shows up and sets up about 50 feet away. They could have had any site among a dozen or so but chose that one?

Then the generator fired up and the party began in earnest....the wife and I couldn't believe it. Thank God they didn't want to invite us over to their site and we had no plans whatsoever to join them or have them over in our camp. Four-wheeling jeeps and various motor-driven things were not what we were lookin forward to. We left a day early.....

I know this is why some of you forgo many "organized" camping places in Natl Forests or State Parks....getting away from all that is part of the experience. You guys spend time and energy to go SOLAR to avoid running a genny out in such beautiful surroundings!

Packrat, I know exactly what you are saying. A few years ago a group of college kids camped at a remote lake next to me and put a remote control boat on the lake with a awful sound. I walked over and told them I target practiced on remote control boats and they pulled it off the lake while I was there, I guess assuming I was a crazy guy. At another remote place along a river a guy pulled in and started a really loud generator right next to me so whenever the generator was running I played loud music through my speakers and that stopped it also. Too bad there are so many inconsiderate campers. I really try and be a good neighbor, but am afraid I have little patience with those who are not. It is also why I rarely stay in organized campgrounds.

Back
Top Bottom