What does everyone use for camper steps?

57Pan

I have a slightly lifted Toyota Tacoma with a Bobcat camper on it. Right now we use a small step ladder to get in and out of it. Plus the ladder can be pulled in to use to get up on he bed. The ladder was given to me from the previous owner. It looks like it might have come from a set of bunk beds.
I'm thinking I might want something a little more permanent on the back of the truck. Maybe something that slides into the receiver hitch.
What is everyone else using?

I also have a lifted Tacoma (TRD Offroad) and Bobcat. We used a tiny step and step ladder, but neither was very satisfactory for us. I was looking at the WeatherTech 81BS1 receiver step, because it is plastic and is said to double as protection against bumping into things. But, before I could buy one my father got me metal one from CargoLoc (https://www.amazon.com/CargoLoc-32507-Hitch-Step/dp/B01NA9KEPB) and I'm quite happy with it. My advice is get one that is non-slip, or add something to make sure it is, because it's really easy to slip off if you exit facing outwards. Good luck.

We are very comfortable with the 2 step folding stool.
The step locking handle fits right into the hitch pocket.
Then I use a bungee to make sure the steps don't slip away during use.
Frank

Another vote for the little giant, great wide steps and very solid, mandatory for my lifted truck, but bulky to transport

review-brophy-hitch-stair-hitch-step-rhs2_644.jpg

I have Brophy steps but I don't use them. I find using my standard Reese trailer hitch and ball adequate.
No messing around.

Another vote for the Little Giant. I removed the folding hand bar and casters. First out, last in...it lays perfectly on the floor space. It's the most sturdy little step ladder. I wanted a separate step ladder so my Wife could use it to get at the buckles if need be. The dogs also like this ladder for getting in and out of their camper. I wouldn't use anything else.

Same Brophy steps as Bill D. I made the tread bigger so the beagle would go up and down without help. And best thing I did was add plastic grass to the treads; catches an awful lot of dirt.

steps.jpg

I modified the Brophy step to flip up and over when not in use and held in place with a spring loaded catch. The original idea was from Bosque Bill. I had a scissors style step, but you must be on very level ground for them to work and they will dig into the dirt as well. Same with any type of ladder steps. Plus you need to store them when traveling.
cwd
Attached Thumbnails

I ordered the Brophy step and it was way too heavy. Returned and got the 2 step aluminum one from 4WC in Montana.

At $250 it's not cheap, but I like it because it's the one thing that sits right in the back of the entryway in the camper while I'm driving and I wrap a smallish blanket around it to keep it from smashing into the cabinets.

AND I love that it stays pretty clean given that nothing touches the ground.

For me it woks well.

Back
Top Bottom