What options are recommended for new Fleet shell owner?

WestCoast

Advanced Member
Hello everyone! I have been sitting on the sidelines after months (years) of searching used, finally pulled the trigger on a new Fleet for my 2003 Tacoma. I knew I wanted one of these my first time I ever saw one in Yosemite in 2001. After many years of sleeping in tents and out of my topper on my truck I cannot wait! Finally, a long time dream is about to come true!!!
We decided on the shell due to both finances and camping style, seemed to make the best sense for us. The options we decided on were:
Camper Jacks
Furnace
Stove (flush mount) with propane box
Fantastic Fan
Yak Tracks only (to mount solar to and ski rack)
Thermal Pack
Gas Strut
Side Dinette
Aux Battery Wiring with dual battery box (plan on doing my own solar and batteries)
Blue Sea Fuse Box
12 volt receptical
One thing I didn't realize when we placed our order it is an extra $200 to make changes after. So, we have pretty much (almost) made up our minds that we want to splurge for the fiamma awning and make some other changes since were already paying the $200, you know, get our money's worth ; ). We were considering another vent (and or fantastic fan) above the bed and chocolate brown cushions instead of blue because they look nice with the birch.
My plan is to build out some storage on the drivers side with a flush mount sink and foot pump. Also an Engle 45 in the forward driver side corner flush with the top of the counter that will slide out onto the area in front of the front window on top of a box (between the counter and side dinette that will house water storage (portable 5 gal tanks x 2) Much like this setup (almost exactly).

Credit to Ambling1, thank you for posting this!

Are there any other camper options that you found invaluable? We will be using this rig to ski and climb and bike out of up there in the PNWet. Lots of time in BC too (Canada)!

We have until the 3rd of March to make our changes (30 day time limit for changes- seems insane since I was quoted 20 weeks to delivery)
So, I'm all ears! Thanks to everyone on this site for all the helpful information in the countless posts I've read while waiting for my camper to be ready! (It seems like forever...)

Attachments

• New ATC Ocelot Shell Buildout - Page 3 - All Terrain Camper Discussions - Wander the West.html
    117.7 KB · Views: 142
Things I find invaluable:
MaxxAir Fan - Allows me to run the fan/have an open vent even when it is raining hard.
Furnace - helps dry out the camper and get rid of the condensation (also makes it easier to get out of bed on cold mornings)
12V and USB outlets - charges phones and computers
Trimetric Meter - highly accurate way to measure amp usage and battery life. Much more accurate than volt meters.
LED Lighting - very minimal power usage, makes the battery last a long time.

Things I wish I had:
Thermal Pack - Tried to make my own out of Refletex but not as user friendly as the cloth thermal pack (ski3pin made his own)
Small awning over the rear door - keep you dry while changing out of muddy shoes before going into the camper
Good place to store my wet skis inside - guess I cant have everything.

Things that would be nice but not super important:
Solar - I don't have a lot of electronics and use my camper the most in the winter when there is no sun.

Thanks! I would think that solar would be more important in the winter given the amount the furnace and lights will run during the long nights. For solar, I was planning on 160W on the roof and possibly a portable. Doubt I'll need it.
I will also use the trimetric meter and separator. As a skier, would two fans help to vent all the moisture from a long days skiing? Is it overkill? Summer time camping? Good point about the rear awning. Might have to rig something up...

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

Solar is nice in the winter but all the people I know who have solar don't get much out of it unless its a perfect day. Either its grey and raining or grey and snowing. And snow blocks the solar panel. I can run 2-3 days on a single battery comfortably or 3-4 days if I am really careful.

As for drying things out you will definitely need a fan running (I have one and do just fine). One problem I had with fantastic fan was you can not use it while it is raining/snowing. Hence why I went with the MaxxAir. Additionally to keep things dry-ish i have a coarse brush to clean snow off gear and sham-wow towels to adsorb excess water. I also got a baking sheet that I keep by the door for wet boots (the raised rim keeps water/shush contained).

What happens to the FF if it's raining snowing? I live in the PNW it gets wet here sometimes. Brilliant idea with the baking sheet!
I love this site!

Here is a photo of the Fantastic Fan and the MaxxAir Fan side by side. Notice how the fantastic fan opens strait up and the MaxxAir has a built in shroud. Fantastic Fan is better quality but the MaxxAir is more practical (for me).
gallery_4850_766_508868.jpg

Additional info on the side-by-side comparison

Very interesting comparison. Thanks for that. I'm not sure which model FF will be installed on my fleet? Anybody know? Is having two worth the cost?

You can get the Maxx Air cover that is supposed to fit the Fantastic Fan. It comes in white and black.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

Great info! Any other suggestions? Those with awnings, do you find them to be worth the cost? I was thinking it would be nice to have a place outside that is dry to cook, hang out when it is raining.
What options do you love, what are ones you cannot live without? What others are hardly worth it?

I like the maxx fan better than the FF because it will run even with the vent closed in "ceiling fan" mode. Really helps distribute the heat. Very happy with 2 of them installed also as one can be "push" and the other can be "pull".

Westcoast

Awnings:

We have the rear awning and the 8' side awning. I have found the rear awning to be a PIA. We like to drop the top and take off to see the sites during the day. That means you have to remove the support arms and put them back on each time. We just haven't been using it. Last April the winds were so strong on Galveston Island that it slid out of the roof track and my poor wife was holding on for dear life until I could take over. We just put it away in the case for the rest of the trip. Needless to say we aren't taking it this time. If you are staying in one place for 4 days or more it does provide a cover at the camper door. If I know what I know now I wouldn't have ordered it.

Side awning. It is nice to have. We will sit under it and it provides great cover. However, if the winds are strong we won't use it. Even with the legs staked it scares me that it will get damaged. It is easy to open and close.

We just bought a Clam Traveler 6' x 6' screened in shelter, with side attachments. Very easy to set-up and where the bugs are bad should provide some relief.

Roof Fans:

I believe FWC only installs Fantastic Fans, but as I mentioned earlier, I believe the MaxxAir covers will fit. They are fastened to the frame of the Fantastic Fan so there are no penetrations through the roof. You will need to verify this. There is a point where the Fantastic Fan cover has to be for the fan to work. We have the Fantastic Fan over our bed and a regular vent over the kitchen area at the rear. If I had it to do over again I would have ordered 2 Fantastic Fans, but we can live with what we have.

Hope this helps. Good luck and enjoy your camper. As a side note, it was our understanding that you had 1-2 weeks to make changes without getting hit with the $200 charge. Talk to the dealer or FWC to confirm.

jd

We are on our second Hawk, and the only regrets we had with either one was when we did not order an option when we bought it and found we wanted it later. I know cost is a big factor, but the cost and hassle of having items installed later can be a bigger factor. Also, while the FWC factory in Woodland has done excellent work for me, I have not been as happy with work done at other locations.

Regarding awnings, we didn't have one on our first Hawk, but do have one on our current model. It has been invaluable for getting out of the sun on hot days, and keeping things dry on damp/rainy days. Very quick and easy to use. There have also been times where I wish we had the rear awning.

Good luck and enjoy your camper!

WestCoast said:
What happens to the FF if it's raining snowing?
My FF has a rain sensor (14 speed version with remote) and closes automatically when it detects moisture...works fine. With a couple inches of clearance to get my rig in the garage anything added to the height of the roof is a no go.

I'd get the 2nd vent for sure and preferably a fan in both.

Have you actually sat in a side dinette in a fleet? I personally found it quite cramped. I prefer the roll over couch. especially if a full sized human needs to sleep there.

longhorn1 said:
You can get the Maxx Air cover that is supposed to fit the Fantastic Fan. It comes in white and black.
Linky to Maxx Air cover for FF : http://www.maxxairvent.com/products/rain_covers.php

and Amazon link for purchase (although from google search, looks like might be $10 less elsewhere but I didn't feel like finding another reputable source,)

http://www.amazon.com/Maxxair-00-955001-White-Fanmate-Hardware/dp/B010D1VJQO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1456789920&sr=8-1&keywords=maxxair+FANMATE

Also, I wish I'd gotten the external spotlights.
I didn't think I'd want them, but after camping alone (with dogs), it would be very nice to have that extra outside light on occasion.

I have an Eagle, not a Fleet, but I added a second fantastic fan. When I got mine I got 100w solar but there are times I wish I had 160w on the roof, I do have a foldable 60w panel. I also have the side dinette and I like it, I do a lot of photo editing when I'm traveling and it's just right for a laptop.

Thanks for the replies everyone! I really like the idea of two fans now. I am also intrigued by the Maxx Fan cover, great recommendation. It seems like the best of both worlds and I will be camping plenty in snow and rain. I will have to see how the camper fits into our garage. I think its going to be really tight as it is and the extra clearance required may be an issue.
We did sit in a Fleet with a side dinette, and I agree that it was a bit cramped but my wife really liked it (she is tiny) and it made it feel like more of a "camper" with a place to set things between each other like cards or meals when shut in by the weather. I wanted the couch, but if momma aint happy…no body's happy ;)
Do any of you guys have a portable fridge such as the Engle or ARB? I am wondering about the smallest size to realistically fit our needs and will fit into the camper without being too big or out of place. Any recommendations from Eagle or Fleet owners regarding fit and size? I don't really want to have it in the jumper seat in the cab.
Again, thanks so much! It is nice to learn about these campers from such a friendly and helpful group of folks!

Doesn't sound so much like a shell anymore with all the goodies. For awnings have you looked at Shadyboy awnings? Cheaper, lighter, and almost as easy to deploy. I've wanted one for quite a while. Just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Not much of a shell, no. I didn't like a lot of the features that came with the base model. I felt I could get what I wanted tailored to my needs for less money and higher quality than factory.
I looked at the shady boy. Nice product, makes my decision more complicated.

I'm only a month in with my Raven, but thought I'd chime in anyway:
- definitely go with an awning. Coming from a Westy w/ no awning, I was really stoked on this addition.
- we don't have a furnace, and currently use a Lil' Buddy heater. It's warm, but the condensation is real. Consider a furnace.
- the rollover couch, when rolled over, provides a nice level storage space for skis etc.

Good luck!
Riley

Back
Top Bottom