What options are recommended for new Fleet shell owner?

WestCoast said:
Do any of you guys have a portable fridge such as the Engle or ARB? I am wondering about the smallest size to realistically fit our needs and will fit into the camper without being too big or out of place. Any recommendations from Eagle or Fleet owners regarding fit and size? I don't really want to have it in the jumper seat in the cab.
We use a portable compressor fridge in our All Terrain Camper. It sits sideways under the front window. It works well for us and is efficient with power use -

Power Use Test - Truckfridge

Great link Ski. Is your ATC model roughly the same size as a Fleet? I am trying to narrow down the options of where the fridge will live.
It seems that the TF is pretty efficient, I'm going to look into the cost vs the others. Thanks!

The TruckFridge refrigerators are Indel B products.

Appearance wise, it looks like several of the other brands are as well. The floor pack dimensions on our All Terrain Camper are similar to yours. Our camper is narrower above the truck bed sides.

I used an Engle fridge for years when I had off road trailers (Bushwakka Fargo and then AT Chaser). I normally carried it in my vehicle and they are very efficient, I could run the fridge all week in the desert with a 60w foldable solar panel and no driving when I was a volunteer at Hovenweep.

That's the route I think we are going to go. There are a lot of positive reviews on these little fridges. Expensive, but having the ability to keep things frozen in summer seems like a luxury worth paying for! I'm just trying to find ideas on mounting options. It seems like the front drivers side or under the front window will work best. Anybody have experience with locating a ARB or Engle in a Fleet shell? I've come across some great ideas so far. Always looking for options...

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

You should note that these fridges work as a fridge or a freezer, not both at the same time like the Dometic built in units FWC installs. I only ever ran my Engle as a fridge so don't know how efficient it is in freezer mode.

I built a heavy duty slide-out for our Engel MR040 (got it cheap), because the camper didn't come with the fridge. It's working really well so far!

Attachments

• IMG_2288.JPG
    IMG_2288.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 133
Thanks SL for the clarification. Good to know...

Rilcombs, where did you find your Engle for cheap? Is that the refrigerator cabinet on your Raven? Does it get in the way of the entrance?

I recently picked up a Norcold 40 Qt compressor fridge on Craigslist for my Hawk.

I removed the old icebox, the cabinet face and upper drawer to give me room to open the lid and access the contents. I'm hoping the extra space will provide enough clearance for good air circulation.

I also found the capped off propane line, 12v wiring and 120v outlet for a built in fridge behind the ice box - an unexpected bonus.

Oh, I just picked up the Engle from a friend who wasn't using it. Correct, that is the fridge space. The guy I bought it from didn't buy the fridge. Still not sure if this will be the best way to go, but it's definitely a lot cheaper than buying a new fridge!

Back
Top Bottom