What suspension upgrades do you have?

Mysteryz

Curious to what suspension upgrades you have on your truck to accommodate your FWC.

Debating between getting air bags and/or OME dakar

2015 Tacoma, 2008 Eagle - Timbren flip plate/bumpstop, OME HD Dakars & Fox 2.0 shocks - upfront I'm running Fox 2.0 IFP Coilovers.

Also remember your tires are just as important as the suspension, for reference I am running on General AT2 load range E.

2011 Chev 1500 with FWC 2016 Hawk (dry wt about 1250 lbs w/jacks removed).
Added Supersprings (literature says an added 900 lb capacity). Load range E tires, Hellwig rear sway bar.
Next truck will be a 3/4 ton so no upgrades needed.

Only change was switching from highway tires to Cooper AT3 (load range E).

2012 Ram 2500 4X4, FWC Grandby.

'08 Dodge 2500 quad cab short bed with Grandby and Timbrens and Pro Comp shocks on all four corners. I had air bags on the '98 Dakota with Ranger II shell model I used to own and they where a PITA. The Timbrens are cheaper and never go flat. I was talked into them at AAA Spring in Salt Lake City when I went to inquire about new air bags for my 2500.

BTW, I almost managed to roll the whole rig in Baja in December when I took a corner a little too fast, overcorrected, and dropped the right front off the narrow pavement. After a couple of times back and forth I got control of it. It did not roll to my surprise. I think the Timbrens and shocks helped.

I can honestly say no changes were required right up to the GVWR if I hadn't added a front winch. The springs were pretty stiff to start and had decent sway bars front and back. Even the oem Continentals that were sometimes slagged as "junk" and "garbage" online I ran for 3 years on and off highway without issue.

But of course I wanted a bit more travel to the front bump stop (because of the winch and limited time off means I sometimes drive faster than I'd like to off highway) so I changed out the front coils to higher rate and later added a 1" spacer. For the rear, to increase the loaded height I had an add a leaf put in, then later for the same reason, an overload leaf pack. Replaced shocks with longer, basic Blistein shocks.

Do over I'd prob forgo the spring changes and just put 2" higher spacers front and back for lift and match with longer shocks.

Dakar leaf pack and airbags (with Daystar cradles) I also replaced the rear shocks with really good ones that handle the repetitive abuse of forest service roads and washboards, and replaced the front coilovers with heavy duty really good ones. E rated tires, and added a TRD rear sway-bar to the Tundra as well.

'95 CTD 2500 ClubCab long bed w/ 6.5' Phoenix. Added Bils 5160's and flipped the O/L leaves upside-down. That is all. I should add some droop limit straps to the front because the shocks can extend far enough to allow the springs to come out of their seats, but I've yet to encounter that anywhere except on a lift.

Front
-Bilstein 5100, middle perch
- 1 1/2 spacer

Rear
-Firestone airbags
-Daystar cradles
-Icon 2.0 shocks *made the biggest difference. My advice, get the best shock you can afford.
-stock springs with 1" lift block

2011 Silverado extended cab 1500 with hawk. Added Timbrens, Hellwig rear sway bar, and recently replaced my worn out tires with load range E tires. Took a 4,000 mile trip in March and I feel much more comfortable with the way it handles now compared to when I started late in late 2014.

I know this is somewhat personal of a question, but what was the total cost for your upgrades?

2013 Tacoma V6, 4WD, automatic . 1100 pound Eagle shell. Custom 4-spring leaf pack to support 1,800 pounds. Replaced the stock shocks that come with the TRD pack at 50,000 miles with Bilstein 5100's.

2016 Tacoma, Fleet flatbed mounted full time, only driven for trips. I have ARB/OME BP-51 remote reservoir adjustable shocks front and back, OME Dakar leafs in the back with the extra 'heavy' leaf, airbags with daystar cradles and onboard compressor. The airbags don't really carry any load, just use them for small adjustments. Rides and handles great, but only works if you have the camper on full time. Cost was ~$4k, I installed them myself and got around $1k back selling the unused stock TRD-Off road suspension and control arms on Craigslist for a net cost of around $3k. Most of the cost was the BP-51, with the 'standard' OME set up you would be looking at ~$2k.

2009 Tacoma TRD - RideRite airbags, Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks, KO2 E-rated tar's, had rear springs rebuilt at Deaver's recommendation in Portland at Oregon Spring and Suspension to keep truck at approx stock height to carry approx 1500#.
I run my airbags around 30-35 psi when I'm fully loaded and for highway use run tire pressure around 50 psi.

I added custom leaf springs to the rear of my Ford Ranger 4WD with FWC Eagle. Had a shop in Grand Junction make them. Told them I wanted 1000 lbs additional capacity but original manufacturer height. I never remove my Eagle. Rides great, handles well. Before doing that I tried a set of Roadmaster Active Suspension springs which only worked when the shell was completely. The shop was Alcan Spring Co. All they do is springs. They have a great website. My Gross weight loaded with 2 people, food, water, propane is just at 6000 lbs, so I'm over the manufacturer's specs. Also added BF Goodrich AT 10 ply tires with kevlar sidewalls.

Back
Top Bottom