What tools do you take along?

takesiteasy

I was recently sorting gear and loading up the camper after another winter of storage. This year I am weighing everything that goes into the camper for curiosity's sake. I will post my list when I get it tallied.

I usually take some mechanic's tools along- two tool rolls with wrenches, sockets, assorted pliers, screwdrivers, and a couple of pouches with miscellaneous small tools and supplies. This all goes in an ammo box that rides in one of the fuel can carriers (assuming I'm not carrying extra fuel). The loaded ammo box weighs 35 pounds. This got me thinking about tools and what is necessary to take along, if anything. I don't know if I have the right mix. I can't remember ever using the tools on a trip, although I would not feel right leaving them at home. I did a search and didn't find any threads on this topic.

What tools do you take along and where do you store them when you are traveling? Any stories of needing a tool and not having it?

I always rely on someone like you coming along before the food, water and fuel run out. Actually, I take a few basics, sockets, screwdrivers, wrenches, etc. But to be honest, with the newer vehicles, the breakdowns we have had have all been electronic so not fixable without the parts. Those couple of times have been interesting to deal with the insurance company when they find out that the rollback to the nearest fix it shop is well over 100 miles!

I take some basic hand tools.Just the amount that fits into a large zip-lock bag,and stores in the rear left tie down access.
Also a small 12v air compressor,can of tire inflator ,a couple ratchet tie downs and a small floor jack and a block of wood for on top of the jack (that fits in the rear cab floor compartment where the original jack came from,the original jack is stored on the right side through the access holes).
Since I have a Bobcat in a Tundra there is extra room between the camper and truck bed.
I use that space when ever I have something that isn't needed all the time.
In the engine compartment I carry a set of jumper cables,and a cable come along. Never had a use for it but you never know.
You would think I travel way back roads,not so. Just some things that might be handy.
I know every pound adds to the total but we travel fairly light to start with.
Frank

I should go through my tools and critically evaluate what I'd really use and see what I could delete. I guess if we knew what was going to happen we'd only take those tools. But we don't!

In addition to the usual wrenches, sockets, screwdrivers, pliers, etc, my tool kit has accumulated the following....

(in 12-inch soft-side tool bag)
allen wrench set
vise-grip pliers
mini-hacksaw
flat file
putty knife
prybar/drift pin combo
cold chisel
multi-meter
wire cutter/stripper/crimper and a few terminals
12V tester (light-in-a-screwdriver-handle type)
distributor-cap/ignition coil wire-brush tool
manual drill with included bits plus 2 step-drill bits
mini bolt-cutter (screw cutter would be more accurate)
mechanics mirror w magnetic pick-up handle
wire brush

I also have---

tire repair kit (with extra glue and extra plugs)
manual bicycle pump
air gauge

backpacker's hatchet and 2# hammer
backpacker's collapsible bow saw

heavy-duty, extra long jumper cables (20-ft, 2 gauge)
micro jump-box

cable-type come-along

collapsing-handle snow shovel (occasionally)

electric chain saw (once- just wanted to see how it did on the generator. But I don't normally take the generator)

More supplies than tools but thought I'd include them here....

electric-outlet tester for campground outlets
adapter plug for campground outlets
zip ties- various sizes
baling wire
duct tape / Gorilla tape
WD40 spray
electrical contact spray
white lithium grease spray
electrical primary wire
radiator stop-leak powder
small selection of stainless-steel screw clamps
muffler bandage

--------------

The tool I wished I had was quality a 12v air pump the day I was working on a flat tire on Alaska's McCarthy Road and along came two young German climber guys with a leak in one of the (completely bald!!!!) tires they were running and a flat spare (also bald!!!) in the trunk. I was just finishing up mine when they came along and had put things away. After plugging the first of their tires I pulled out my beat-up old 80s-era bicycle pump and they looked at it like they'd never seen one before.

"Don't you have one of those little pumps that run off your cigarette lighter?", one asked. "Nope,"I said, "But go get yours and we'll use that one".

And of course they were super-healthy climber guys and it took no time for them to inflate their tires as we chatted. Turns out they had bought the ancient Mercedes off an Alaskan Ebay site and had wondered why it was so cheap. Once they arrived in the US, they saw why but couldn't afford a set of tires. Just wish they had come along a bit earlier.

--------------

The other tool-related wish is that I had chosen a better model of compact floor-jack for my Alaska trip. I didn't trust the jack that came with the truck so I bought the smallest model (2-ton, I believe) at a tool-discount place for something like $30. The first time I used it was at a campground in Eagle, AK. I jacked up the front of the truck to check the ball-joints but then the jack wouldn't go down. The side plates of the jack had bent and it was jammed stuck. I dug around the base of the jack a bit but that didn't help much. I ended up driving off the jack.

-OC

Edited to add--

-paint brush for soap-testing propane fittings
- compact infra-red thermometer
- mini-saw blade for clearing lock
- Considering: OBD2 reader (standalone? ScanGauge/UltraGauge? Smartphone version?)

It depends on where I'm going and for how long. I have a tool bag with an assortment of wrenches, screwdrivers, pliers etc that goes on every trip. I have another 174 pc plastic cased kit I'll toss in for longer trips. I have another box with filters, belts and hoses I'll sometimes take. Thats for the truck which is pretty reliable.

When I ran the Dusy in the Jeep I took my four drawer tool box. Another box which has a spare starter, carburetor, bearings, fuel pump and ujoints and other stuff I've probably forgotten about. I even had spare driveshafts and tie rods. I lucked out and didn't need most of that stuff. What I did need and didn't have was a can of spare bolts. I lost two bolts from a front hub. Had to scavenge them off less important things.

Having a pickle for along was handy, for another guy. It also pays to know your weak points. Another guy in a four runner broke both motor mounts. He had spares along fortunately.

Even as reliable as the truck is theres often times you find yourself needing tools for other stuff. Tighten up that leaky propane connection etc. I'm fortunate in my truck that weight isn't an issue. I'd rather carry stuff I don't need that need something I don't have.

I'm not going to list it's contents, but I'll guess that the tool bag in the camper weighs about 90 lbs. I built it up specifically for chasing desert races, so it's way more tools than I'm likely to need with the truck. I have a policy that any special tools specific to a vehicle always travel with that vehicle. In the case of the CTD it's previous wheels needed a thin walled socket for the lug nuts, and I didn't have the right size socket for the front axle hubs & bearings. So now those sockets, the short extension needed for the hub nuts, and a 2' long breaker bar are permanent residents of the truck.

With the avatar dune buggy low weight was crucial so I started with an empty tool box and I worked on it using only the tools in the box. If I needed a tool not in the box I got one or found one and it become permanent to that tool box. That way I knew that I was mostly likely carrying only what I needed. At least once the box got built up some.

While I carry much of the above stuff (probably toooo much stuff-if that is possible), to extract me from that "getting unstuck" situation [right Mark], and while planning ahead, being prepared and using common sense makes life easier out there, I am completely (as noted by some above) at a loss how to fix my rig if it breaks down! I never worried with my old 80 Toyota long bed 4x4 or VW, because I could usually fix it, but these new rigs just mystify me and anything other than battery stuff, I'm lost :unsure: ! That said, stuff I carry that I have used the most over the years; my handyman, jerk and tow ropes, jumper cables, kitty litter, tire chains, flash lights/batteries, tarp, duct tape, first aid kit, maps, basic tool kit and multi tool, 4 way tire iron, shovel and vodka and in case all else fails, my "spot 2" with the magic button because my cell phone usually can't get out! That help!

Smoke

My only failure over 100,000's of miles camping coast-to-coast repaired with a tool was a burned out taillight bulb (screwdriver). The tool I used the most is a cell phone (fractured starter shaft, blown head gaskets). I replace my batteries before they reach warranty life (5 or 7 years). All my other failures happened in the garage (bad distributor cap - twice) or did not make the vehicle inoperable (water pumps, tire tread separation, alternators, CV boots, clutch slave/master cylinders, pinion seals, radiator leaks...). A good set of eyes, ears, and boots are the best tools (check under the hood, listen for the new sound, and kick your tires).

craig333 said:
It may not be your rig your tools get used for. Never hurts to "pay it forward".
I like that sentiment. I can feel better about carrying tools for others' potential problems even though I may never need them for my own. :)

Please add blown power steering hoses (you could smell the burning oil prior to the failure), motor mounts, and failed valve lifters to my long list of mechanical failures (the engine became unbalanced after loosing one cylinder). I have always picked vehicles for their capability and not reliability and so suffered an amazing list of failures but not one could be fixed with a tool except the tail light. The largest question that comes to mind is: can I swap out my truck's starter battery with a camper battery using only pliers or should I carry a small adjustable end wrench too? 20 pounds and $100 for jumper cables is excessive for me. How about a bow saw to clear downed trees (seen a lot of downed trees over the years)? I actually do carry water proof duct tape to repair a camper leak (never used).

I always take a plastic rectangle with numbers on it. You just slide it into these slots and people give you things and do stuff for you.

:D

Alan

alano said:
I always take a plastic rectangle with numbers on it. You just slide it into these slots and people give you things and do stuff for you.

:D

Alan

craig333 said:
I like the green paper better. I've been places that don't do the plastic rectangles.
Good suggestions! :D

JaSAn said:
I also take the tools to print more of the green paper if I happen to run out :p
Not so sure about this one. :ninja: :D

Back
Top Bottom