What'S Under Your Back Seat ?

K6ON

Old & Soft
I take a lot of teasing for the HF antenna on the truck, so I thought I’d show the hams on the forum (we seem to be getting quite a few) why such a large antenna. The present antenna is even larger than the one that was on during the Death Valley Rally and Hog Festival for those that were there.

The radio is a Yaesu FT-857D driving a Henry Radio SS-750 HF amp. While conservatively rated at 750 watts output, I’ve never seen one do less than a KW on the lower bands given enough voltage. Mine does right at a KW on the lower bands and about 750 watts from 17 meters up. When I had an Ameritron ALS 500 amp, the old antenna worked OK, although if I got long winded, the coil would heat badly and it would wander out of resonance. The Henry, with over twice the output power really strained the old antenna so I upgraded to the Hy-Q 4-80 RT. This antenna also heats up with long transmissions, it holds resonance better and with it’s higher “Q” is a bit more efficient.

Attached is a picture of what’s under the back seat of the truck to support the Henry, etc. I ran two # 2/0 cables from the batteries in the engine compartment (through a 200 amp fuse) to the rear of the truck where I power everything from a couple gold plated distribution blocks, including the camper. To get adequate voltage to the Henry under load (in excess of 100 amps) I had to add an auxiliary battery within 3 feet of the amp for full output.

I also power the camper from the distribution blocks with #6 wire, and of course changed the primary camper cables to #6 since there’s 2 deep cycle batteries and a 1.5kw inverter in the FWC. I use 75amp Anderson Power Pole Connectors for the FWC with a 70 amp breaker in the truck.

So, what’s under your back seat??

Attachments

• BACKSEAT1.jpg
    BACKSEAT1.jpg
    358.1 KB · Views: 430
DeltaRat

Nice setup. I may get a new truck and reinstall the radio equipment. How is the noise with the screwdrivier on the front? I don;t get good matches with the anteanna on the back of the truck or up on the side of the camper. I have a high sierra screwdrivier for now. May mount on the front of a new truck on a grill guard. I wll have a lot of questions. For now, how did you route wires in and out of the cab?

AlL I have right now under the back seat are tow ropes, jumper cables, chaines, and a few odd tools. Boring in comparison.

Dave
n0xlw

Definately a cool setup, would like to see a pic of the antenna mounted on your truck. As for your question about what's under the back seat... my truck didn't come with a back seat. :D

Matt NA1Q/M

DeltaRat

Nice setup. I may get a new truck and reinstall the radio equipment. How is the noise with the screwdrivier on the front? I don;t get good matches with the anteanna on the back of the truck or up on the side of the camper. I have a high sierra screwdrivier for now. May mount on the front of a new truck on a grill guard. I wll have a lot of questions. For now, how did you route wires in and out of the cab?

AlL I have right now under the back seat are tow ropes, jumper cables, chaines, and a few odd tools. Boring in comparison.

Dave
n0xlw

Dave,
Truck is a diesel so no ignition noise with antenna mounted up front. I drilled a hole in the floor under the back seat for the cables to enter & exit. Everything is run under the truck in split loom for protection, even the coax and motor control lines.

In regards to your screwdriver not matching, I'm sure you already know, the base impedance of a typical HF mobile antenna is somewhere around 25 ohms. If you feed it with 50ohm coax it will require some sort of matching device at the base of the antenna. If you have none, then that's the main reason you're having problems. Let me suggest a simple coil of about 7-8 turns of #14 wire, 1 inch in diameter, close spaced from the feed of the antenna to ground. Play with the spacing for minimum reflected power. Remember, because the antenna will be at DC ground, it isn't at RF ground. DC grounding also helps with static and offers some protection in case the antenna hits some live lines.

I'm no expert, but happy to answer any questons you might have.

Definately a cool setup, would like to see a pic of the antenna mounted on your truck. As for your question about what's under the back seat... my truck didn't come with a back seat. :D

Matt NA1Q/M

Matt, Here ya go...camper is presently off the truck so antenna is on the rear. When camper is on, then antenna is mounted on the front winch mount.

Attachments

• antenna.jpg
    antenna.jpg
    304.5 KB · Views: 262
Thanks for sharing the pic, now I'm getting more ideas for my next HF setup. Don't have a winch off the front of the truck, but I do have the front 2" receiver that I can play with.

Just trying to figure out which antenna to go with, looked at a lot of screwdriver antennas lately.

73 Matt NA1Q

Back
Top Bottom